KLM AMS-DXB-AMS , which a/c ?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Sterre

KLM AMS-DXB-AMS , which a/c ?

Post by Sterre »

Does anyone know which type of aircraft KLM uses on the DXB-route?

Last year we went with Lufthansa: FRA-DXB B747, DXB-MUC A340
but because of inconvenient departure and arrival times, we'll have to choose between BA and KLM.

I know British Airways uses: LHR-DXB B747, DXB-LHR B777.

Prices for KLM and BA are quite similar, so our choice will depend on the type of a/c. :D

So I hope at least someone can help me out!

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

well KLM will either be the B777-200 or A330-200

Duke

Post by Duke »

I think it will be either the A330-200 or the 777-200, depending of the day of the flight.

Duke

Post by Duke »

sorry sab319, didn't see you posting...

chunk

Post by chunk »

It will be a 777-200ER. Both the daily daytime flight and the less frequent night flights are 777 as far as I know. The second flight used to be MD11 but thankfully no more.....

Go KLM - the service on board is no better no worse than BA but the IFE on the T7 is fantastic. Outstanding.

If you want the A330-200 (which is a nicer flight than the 777 IMHO) then fly KLM to Abu Dhabi - its about a 80 minute taxi ride from there to Dubai.

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

Dont forget if you are come via Heathrow there are lots more options than BA...

Apart from the Emirates 332/777 there is the Virgin 340-600

...and of course there is the Royal Brunei 767 and somethng not to be missed the Biman Bangladesh DC10 or A310 :lol: :lol:

Bokkum

Post by Bokkum »

All summer-flights to DXB are operated by KL Boeing 777-200's (no A330's).

Regards, Jeroen

Sterre

Post by Sterre »

I found on the BA-website that in economy on long haul you can enjoy your own seat back video screen *
(*almost on every aircraft).

Last year the children were a bit disappointed there weren't any individual video screens, as they were too little to look over the seat backs to see the large screen.
We consider to fly with BA this year, but which a/c are we talking about that are equipped with these individual IFES?
LHR-DXB would be a 747 and a 777...

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

I havn't been in the DXB route with BA but on two transatlantic journeys with them both the 747 and 777 had seat back scrreens.

The long haul 767s into Africa didn't have them though..but the last time I flew on that route was a couple of years ago.

chunk

Post by chunk »

Sterre wrote:I found on the BA-website that in economy on long haul you can enjoy your own seat back video screen *
(*almost on every aircraft).

Last year the children were a bit disappointed there weren't any individual video screens, as they were too little to look over the seat backs to see the large screen.
We consider to fly with BA this year, but which a/c are we talking about that are equipped with these individual IFES?
LHR-DXB would be a 747 and a 777...
This is true...but the system is not great. Unless they have improved it - it wasnot AVOD and had limited choice. All KLM flights to DXB have the fantastic new IFE system which has a huge amount of choice and is AVOD.

Sterre

Post by Sterre »

Thank you all for the info!

Despite all the good things I read here about KLM, we will probably have to book with BA.
The KLM flight DXB-AMS STD is 07.00 LT, which means we would have to be in the airport arount 04.00 LT (KLM starts check-in 3hrs before departure).
We would have to leave our apartment at the beach around 03.00 LT.
With 2 children to get up and dressed, plus all the final things to pack (like the baby sheets, the baby bottles, their teddybears...), we would have to get up around 01.30, which is ridiculous.
A night like this as a start to our trip back home, would make it true hell! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If I would travel alone, without kids, I would certainly go for KLM... but in this case, BA's departure around 09.30 LT is far more acceptable I'm afraid... :(

x

chunk

Post by chunk »

The 7am departure is the 2nd KLM flight and I am fairly sure it doesn't run every day. The first departure is at 1am and gets into AMS around 5am....not sure that is any better with kids mind you. That flight goes every day, to be honest though both are pretty grim timingwise. The 7am departure has got the advantage of not being snarled up in traffic on the way to the airport.

930 from DXB may be ok but be warned that DXB will be chaos at that time of day thanks to the number of departures and there is a fair chance you will need to be up very early anyway as the traffic getting to DXB from 6am onward is awful. Unless its a Friday of course.