American Airlines to Upgrade 124 757's

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

smokejumper

American Airlines to Upgrade 124 757's

Post by smokejumper »

American Airlines plans to upgrade its fleet of 124 757's over the next two years.

See; http://www.pr-inside.com/american-airli ... 103260.htm

Cagyjames commented some time ago that US air would like to have more 757's (if I remember correctly) if they were avaialble. Ammerican seems to agree that it is a good plane and has a long life ahead of it.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I said before that the airlines would regret the day that they let Boeing cancel production of the B757. That is a very versatile plane! Every large US carrier that currently operates the plane type have been aggressively trying to get thier hands on any that are available. The cargo carriers are trying to get them as well.
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

cageyjames

Re: American Airlines to Upgrade 124 757's

Post by cageyjames »

smokejumper wrote:Cagyjames commented some time ago that US air would like to have more 757's (if I remember correctly) if they were avaialble.
Our A321s are having to make fuel stops in MCI these days (due to the new reconfig where we took out some FC and closet space and loaded in more people) on the SFO-PHL route.

I guess we need to run more A319s or something... :roll:
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

cageyjames wrote:
smokejumper wrote:Cagyjames commented some time ago that US air would like to have more 757's (if I remember correctly) if they were avaialble.
Our A321s are having to make fuel stops in MCI these days (due to the new reconfig where we took out some FC and closet space and loaded in more people) on the SFO-PHL route.

CageyJames, dont waste your time suggesting things that actually work operationally. Seems if the office types would listen more to the front line employees such as pilots, flight attendants and mechanics about these issues, they would put the right equipment on the right routes. The fuel stops cannot be cheap :(
Common sense would tell all airline management from all airlines to listen more to the front line people.

That B757 wouldnt have a problem making those cross-country hauls. I hae personally done it many times as i am sure you have as well. Great bird the B757 :D :D :D
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Our problem is that we need the 757 to fly to Hawaii, Europe and the Caribbean. Leaves very few to fly transcon.

US seems to love the A321 for some reason. When US was running 26 seats in FC, they were light enough to fly transcon, but with the new LCC configuration, they are just too heavy. Oh well....
US Airways - Fly with US

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

Yes the 757 is incredibly versatile...I have flown it on a 45 mis hop from London to Manchester and equally non stop from London to Addis Ababa, which was about nine hours I think.

I am surprised that the A321 doesn't amake it across the States as I am due to fly on a BA A321 from London to Baku, Azerbijan and that is a six hour journey...but I suppose the seats will be less densely packed in than a US Airways transcontnental flight.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

TexasGuy wrote:I said before that the airlines would regret the day that they let Boeing cancel production of the B757. That is a very versatile plane! Every large US carrier that currently operates the plane type have been aggressively trying to get thier hands on any that are available. The cargo carriers are trying to get them as well.
It suppose they could do what Continental did and convince Boeing to start producing the aircraft, at least if they really wanted 757s.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

jumpjet wrote:but I suppose the seats will be less densely packed in than a US Airways transcontnental flight.
Heck even our new reconfiged A320's are having trouble transcon. They are just too heavy with so many seats crammed in them. :x
US Airways - Fly with US

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

fokker_f27 wrote:It suppose they could do what Continental did and convince Boeing to start producing the aircraft, at least if they really wanted 757s.
Impossible from what I've been told. The tooling has been destroyed and the 737 is being built in its place. You'd have to cut back on 737 production and I doubt Boeing would or could do that.
US Airways - Fly with US

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

I can understand the 737 being produced in its place, but why "destroying" the tooling? :?

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

fokker_f27 wrote:I can understand the 737 being produced in its place, but why "destroying" the tooling? :?
Once a manufacturer decides to stop production of any plane, the tooling is generaly destroyed (of course, any fixtures, jigs or tools that can be used elsewhere is saved and reused) to avoid the cost of storage and tool maintenance. It may sound shortsighted, but the costs of storage are considerable - once a final desicion to stop production is made, you do not need the tooling and fixtures.

And besides, Boeing has the 787 to offer. The 787-3 will offer slightly more range and about 40% greater passenger capacity. The higher acquisitiion costs will be partically offset by the fuel savings. Adddd to the lower maintenance costs, it might be a viable solution. This might work on a number of US trans-continental routes.

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

fokker_f27 wrote:I can understand the 737 being produced in its place, but why "destroying" the tooling? :?
I guess what would you do with it? Put it in a museum? ;)
US Airways - Fly with US

boomer535

Post by boomer535 »

I love the 757.Flew on Delta 757's from Tampa Florida to LA and back last year. I thought the plane was very quiet and comfotable. It is also nice to go nonstop too. There might be a version of the upcomming 737RS that will replace the 757 better then the 739-ER does now.

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

Though somewhile back I took an AA 757 from Miami to Lima, having just come in from London on one of their 777s - but the plane and the on board service was like chalk and cheese, so I am glad to see they are refurbushung the 757s, and maybe the on board staff too. I almost [but not quite] wished I had taken the Iberia via Madrid option. :lol:

bits44

Post by bits44 »

AA is also adding 58 shipsets of blended winglets for its 767ER fleet.

Estimated fuel savings 17 Million Gallons. annually

http://www.pr-inside.com/american-airli ... 104536.htm
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

cageyjames wrote:
I could understand Boeing disposing of it, but with 'destroying' I immediately think of the tools being devastated. :lol:

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

fokker_f27 wrote:
cageyjames wrote:
I could understand Boeing disposing of it, but with 'destroying' I immediately think of the tools being devastated. :lol:
If you mean "disposing" of it by selling it to someone else, this would be a giant "no'no". The plane is a Boeing product and any liablity for sub-standard parts would remain with Boeing. Were they to sell the tooling to an outside party and this party manufactured parts that were installed on a 757 and, the plane crashed, Boeing would be named in the lawsuit.

In the early 1970's, a Virginia starte Police helicopter crashed and two troopers were killed. The inveitigation revealed that a sub-standard part casued the crash. The families sued and named Bell Helicopter in the suit. It seems that the helicoper was shot down twice in Vietnam, repaired by the Army and retired after the war. It was transferred to the Virginia State Police who purchased a critical (unknowingly bogus) part from a parts supply house. Bell had not even seen the helicopter since it left the plant. For a variety of reasons, Bell was held liable and paid the families. It may not seem right, but this was the case.

Consequently, if Boeing (or any other manufacturer) does not want the tooling, they will destroy it to prevent its future use.

RC20

Post by RC20 »

cageyjames wrote:

787s!

RC20

Post by RC20 »

I do wonder where FedEx plans on getting (90 or 100) of the 757s.

And what do they do if they can't get them?

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

American is also retrofitting the B767-300s with winglet, in addition to its B757s.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... nglet.html