reg-spotters: what do you do with your data?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

killerwhale65

reg-spotters: what do you do with your data?

Post by killerwhale65 »

Hi,

I was wondering what all you registration spotters do with the regs you note. Do you just post your log at Luchtzak and then throw it away? Store it in a database? Mark in a logbook? ....
And what do you do with aircraft types and operators, do you look that manually, or do you have a program that does everything automated?

Thanks for your information!

Matt
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

tangolima

Re: reg-spotters: what do you do with your data?

Post by tangolima »

killerwhale65 wrote:Hi,

I was wondering what all you registration spotters do with the regs you note. Do you just post your log at Luchtzak and then throw it away? Store it in a database? Mark in a logbook? ....
And what do you do with aircraft types and operators, do you look that manually, or do you have a program that does everything automated?

Thanks for your information!

Matt
Hello killerwhale 65,

I mark it in a logbook called "Airlines" and i look manually

Greetings,
Kristof

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I have a paper file somewhere, most logs get into it sooner or later. At one time I set up a MySql database for them, but could never get myself to enter all the data.

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

normally I make a good version on paper (when spotting I only make a quick version :D)and I should make them on PC too but last time I tend to forget that due to lack on time for it :D

Second thing : they go in a big database in 'Access' wich mentions aircrafttype , reg , operator , airline colors , link to picture , cn , remarks , etc...

When I last updated it , i had about 1750 regs or something like that , that would be more than a year ago, so I guess I will have about 2100-2200 now I hope :D

Best regards: Yannick ;)

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

nice, seems like not many are using a computer.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a program that runs on a PDA? That would be very interesting because you should only enter the data once (namely on your PDA that you have with you) and when you get home you could synchronise things with your PC automatically.

@tangolima: where can i find more info about this book? How does it compare to JP Airline Fleets?

thanks!
Matthias Thoen

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

I use Aviation Databases for my regs.

http://www.aviationdatabases.com/

Emirates

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Emirates wrote:I use Aviation Databases for my regs.

Emirates
i noticed this one already, but seems rather expensive. I have ordered the free evaluation CD. How exactly do you use it and what can you do with it?

Thanks!
Matthias Thoen

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello,

Killerwhale 65 I bought This book in " de luchtvaart hobby shop" in the region of Schiphol. Maybe you can find some info on there site over that book.
Site = www.aviationmegastore.com
I hope this info helps :)

Greetings,
Kristof

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Matthias Thoen

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Yes it is

Greetings,
Kristof

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

killerwhale65 wrote:
Emirates wrote:I use Aviation Databases for my regs.

Emirates
i noticed this one already, but seems rather expensive. I have ordered the free evaluation CD. How exactly do you use it and what can you do with it?

Thanks!
True it is not cheap. However you do get a very efficient package to record all your sightings. I have used this for almost 3 years and whilst it took quite some time to enter my 60,000 plus airframes it now pays dividends. No more searching through dozens of books to find logs or records - now all in one place. The data can be used in many ways and, if you subscribe to weekly updates, it is only a week from being current. Books, whilst being useful, are out of date as soon as they are printed!. Additionally, if you are an SBS user AVDB has, in my opinion, the best hex code database (over 1.6 million codes and rising every week).

Info takes the form of one "card" per airframe showing current registration, date it was registered, owner and operator, plus all previous registrations and owners & operators. You then enter your sightings and this stays with the 'frame, even when it changes hands or is re-registered.
Photographs are included but as I don't do pictures I've never used this facility.

To me it is worth every cent I spend on it but I am a serious "number grubber" and to have everything in a clear and easy format is fantastic.

Enjoy the demo

Meerkat

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

killerwhale65 wrote:nice, seems like not many are using a computer.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a program that runs on a PDA? That would be very interesting because you should only enter the data once (namely on your PDA that you have with you) and when you get home you could synchronise things with your PC automatically.

@tangolima: where can i find more info about this book? How does it compare to JP Airline Fleets?

thanks!

I once made a program, based on a MS Access database and I had a 'PDA-version' of that program. When I came back home, and connected the PDA to my PC, the databases were synchronised. However, I never finished it completely (it works perfect), all the code works, just need to fintune the layout ... But no time for that at this moment.

EHAM

Post by EHAM »

I've got an Access datebase with over 8000 regs in it. Mentioned are: registration, time/date, operator, type, airport. But I also have a handbook with checkmarks with me while spotting.

AF036

Post by AF036 »

I made a SQL DB with over 117000 regs seen one day or another at BRU.

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

thanks for the replies.

I am currently creating a database for my PDA to synchronise with an Access database. This for my own sightings. Now the only thing i still need is a good aircraft database to look up those regs.
Matthias Thoen