Jet Airways event at Brussels Airport on 2 May

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I think its very simple: 10 flights a day of Jet Airways to all destinations they want to serve. Six Indian and four American.

But also important in that speech: they want to train 150 pilots in Belgium and they will invest in Brussels Airport and Brussels.

Very nice.

teach

Post by teach »

Six Indian and four American.
Make that five each: Newark, JFK, Chicago, LA and Toronto on the one hand, and Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and Ahmedabad on the other.

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

the 777 just took off at brussels (20:02)

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

Very nice birds... I was impressed. And a 777-300... man it's a giant :!: Took some pics when they were 'baptised', not that good quality (distance), but you can get an idea. I'll try to post some. Baptising the planes wasn't easy to get the water on them, due to strong crosswind. 32000l of water were used to welcome Jet Airways.

Tompompier

BRANCOCALIENTE

Post by BRANCOCALIENTE »

What about job opportunities for belgian people? cabin staff, pilots,ops, ground staff...
Somebody knows where to apply?
Thanks

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

Perhaps you could regularly check this link http://www.brusselsairport.be/nl/jobs/. When they need staff, i guess they will anounce in via this source.

Tompompier

WisoBe

Post by WisoBe »

Hey Folks,

just one word ..... WONDERFUL !

It was a fantastic luxurious very good organized event ! Congratulations to all who participated to make it so nice. The ceremony was at gate 40 (but that was known a long time ago since it was on the invitation). First some champagne and delicious things to eat. Then the speeches followed with Verhofstadt, Mister Patel(don't know his function by heart), CEO Jet Airways, CEO Brussels Airlines, CEO Brussels Airport, Embassy of America, Embassy of Canada. This was followed by the official signatures.

Then we saw a little dance show. Some Indian, European and American Dance. Then the planes were transfered from there parking to gate 40 and while they were transfered, we were life with someone on the plane who was explaining all luxury functions for the passengers. We were able to see that on big screens in the terminal. For you information, we weren't able to look outside. There were black curtains all around. And then suddenly when the planes were in front of the terminal, they pushed a button, the curtains felt and everybody was able to see the planes. That was just amazing.

Of course everybody was able to enter in the 777 and 330 to see the inside of those wonderful planes.

Believe me ... it was a very nice event.

Pictures will follow soon.

Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

Too bad so many people here always feel the need to be cynical, even when good news is there.

As I understand it, Jet Airways plans the following :

5 August 2007 :
Bombay - Brussels - Newark, daily with B777-300

23 August 2007 :
Startup of Delhi - Brussels - Toronto, with A330-200
October 2007 :
Delhi - Brussels - Toronto, daily with A330-200

As from 2008/2009 (pending on aircraft deliveries)
From Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Chenai - through Brussels - to New York JFK, Chicago and Los Angeles.

(at startup) Jet Airways will codeshare with Brussels Airlines on 5 European flights, to be expanded to several dozen flights (pênding govt clearance). SN will codeshare with 9W from startup on flights to Mumbai, Dehli and Toronto, not to Newark.

Thus, the 9W/SN operation brings an attractive travel product between several cities of India and several cities in Europe/Africa, and from India/Europe to several direct destinations in the US and Canada.

This means we will have 4 daily 9W flights in Brussels as from October, at least 6 of them in 2008 and up to 10 flights per day when this project is up to speed.

This is about a private foreign airline willing to invest a LOT of money in Brussels AIrport and the Belgian economy. They do not do this as a favor, but because they believe in the quality of BRU compared to other possible EU hubs they could have selected instead. Maybe it's time some of you start believing in that too, instead of using every opportunity to whine about the demise of Sabena, crooked politics or possible hidden Macquarie agendas. Several Belgian politicians, whatever you think of them, lobbied hard and negociated strongly to make this happen.
Brussels Airport and Brussels Airlines will need to invest in this project, but they will become better of it. The biggest winner however, will be the Belgian passenger who will no longer need to transfer in SPL, LHR, FRA or CDG. He'll find an incredible product instead, made in India.

This is the result of continued hard work of many many people. Brussels got the ACI Airport People award by believing in service, customer care, efficiency. (SN) Brussels Airlines won several awards already because they understand the importance of quality.

The Indians are willing to give them credit for it, maybe it's time we do as well.

Finally a word about the aircraft to make your mouths water. They came fresh from the factory, never transported a single paying passenger before they were flown into BRU. Their inside smelled like the inside of a brand new car, and the seat configuration and quality of inflight product is simply a w e s o m e !

The event was very well organized, and for the first time in many years the tingling feel of miracle was again in the air. It was just plain nice.

To make this work (imagine being responsible for the turnaround of 10 of these babies in only a few hours, day after day after day... ) Jet Airways and other airport operators will need several people with solid operational, commercial or customer relations experience to make this happen. This operation will need dozens of extra staff, certainly when this operation comes to speed. The airport website will be the first place to look for those, if you're interested.

Other carriers are also recruiting. I'm sure the new operations like those of US Airways, NWA and even easyJet and Cargo B will bring job opportunities soon, too. :D

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

Avro

Post by Avro »

very well said Ghandi and welcome to Luchtzak !!

We can be proud of Jet Airways' announcement. They have great plans and I truely hope that they'll be able to establish their operations in BRU as they wish. It's a great opportunity for SN as well!!

Finally some great news for BRU :)

I wish them all the best

Chris

Stij

Post by Stij »

@ Ghandi: Couldn't agree more! If this works out, Brussels Airport IS again on the map!

Maybe a little off topic:

The whole morning 5 gates at Pier B will be blocked by Jet Airways. Let's add to that SN's 4 330's, AA's 2 763's, DL's 2 763, the UA 763, the CO 772, US's 757, NW's 757 and HU's 763. That makes a total of 18 planes at peir B and I don't even count the short haul non-schengen flights. If I remember well, their's only space for 16 widebodies at Pier B.
It will be busy there! Excellent! (has to be pronounced with a Montgommery Burns type of voice)

Cheers mates,

Stij

b-west

Post by b-west »

Great news for Brussels Airport! The best of luck to Jet Airways

Stij wrote: The whole morning 5 gates at Pier B will be blocked by Jet Airways. Let's add to that SN's 4 330's, AA's 2 763's, DL's 2 763, the UA 763, the CO 772, US's 757, NW's 757 and HU's 763. That makes a total of 18 planes at peir B and I don't even count the short haul non-schengen flights. If I remember well, their's only space for 16 widebodies at Pier B.
It will be busy there!
Stij
Finally a chance to start using the bus "tent" at B-pier ;)

PNC

Post by PNC »

Avro wrote: It's a great opportunity for SN as well!!

Chris
great??? a great codeshare agreement, another one.... but what great for the brussels airlines crew, just to see those planes taking off to the great destinations without them!!!!!!!.

Avro

Post by Avro »

PNC wrote:

Chris
great??? a great codeshare agreement, another one.... but what great for the brussels airlines crew, just to see those planes taking off to the great destinations without them!!!!!!!.
Well well well... Do you think that SN pilots would have been able to fly to those destinations if Jet Airways didn't come to BRU ? The answer is NO. SN hasn't the money to expand like that certainly not to Asia. Thanks to the arrival of Jet Airways, SN will be able to hopefully gain more passengers on their European and African netwrok. If the Jet Airways operation is a success they'll be able to profit from that aswell.

Chris

Boeing747-nurse

Post by Boeing747-nurse »

Do you think they will recruite pilots and cabin crew in Brussels, and open a crewbase in Brussels?
Would be very nice...

Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

There seems to be a persistent misunderstanding on these forums.

The decicion to open new routes, investment in new aircraft, the startup of new operations and any other activity that involves money are based on business calculations, to make profit. (which is not a dirty word).

Such business decisions have never been made with the purpose of pleasing a certain population of pilots, cabin crews, spotters, airport firemen journalists or airport neighbours.

If they ever have been, I guarantee they were short-lived projects.

Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

Boeing747-nurse wrote:Do you think they will recruite pilots and cabin crew in Brussels, and open a crewbase in Brussels?
Would be very nice...
I don't know how many crew will be on board a 340 and 777 with Jet Airways, but there will roughly be about 20 per flight. Ten daily flights means 200 crew members. One can imagine there will be a crew change at BRU, so that means 400 crew ending or starting their flights at BRU at any given day.

Yes, this means there will be a crew base at BRU. Anyone looking for a nice way to make money might consider opening an Indian restaurant in the center of Zaventem. Success guaranteed. Watch my words... :)

With 20 new wide body aircraft on order, they will also be recruiting crew. I see no reason why Licensed 777 and 340 captains should be abundantly available in BOM and DEL, so they will recruit worldwide, I guess.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

That makes a total of 18 planes at peir B and I don't even count the short haul non-schengen flights. If I remember well, their's only space for 16 widebodies at Pier B.
It will be busy there!
Stij
Finally a chance to start using the bus "tent" at B-pier ;)
Any idea how the transit and transfer passenger will be handled ?

Transit: will they have to stay on the plane for 2 hours, or will they be allowed to walk around in Pier B (upstairs, downstairs); any welcoming facilities foreseen (restaurant, shopping, exhibition,..) in that part of the Pier ???

Transfer: there is still this IRDL adjecent to Pier B (the "tent")
Is this Interim Remote Departure Lounge still used ??? It is probably big anough and for sure well located to serve as Transfer building to Schengen destinations (Pier A).

And how about Visa policy for Indian citizens: Belgium has Embassy in Delhi, Consulate in Mumbai and Honorary Consulates in Chennai & Kolkotta. And a visa is expensive for tourists and businessmen.
Will be curious to see if there is any plan to facilitate the Visa matter.
Belgium is not a hospitable country in this regard.

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

PNC wrote:

Chris
Honestly, I think Jet can easily do it without the codeshare from SN, because they don't have the best name at this time....(strikes and all). This is from a commercial point of view.

Saw the 777 and 330 yesterday after taxiing out, what beautiful planes!

b720

Post by b720 »

Indeed without a flexible visa policy, this jet airways venture is doomed to fail...72 hour transit visas must be delivered upon arrival (immediatly without the approval from foreign service that can take 24 hours)...otherwise no one in their right mind will transfer through bru.. has happened before when flights delayed or cancelled some "lucky" pax could pass through imigration seamlessly to get to their offered hotel rooms, while the "unlucky" ones, mostly from the developing world had to sleep on chairs next to the gates..although they had paid the same fare sometimes more than those with european passports on the same flight who were allowed to claim their hotel rooms..