China's large-plane project set for takeoff

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

TallDutch

China's large-plane project set for takeoff

Post by TallDutch »

BEIJING - Hundreds of large planes fly in and out of Chinese airports daily but none of them sports a made-in-China label. However, the picture will change in 10-15 years, when locally developed large aircraft offer more choice to Chinese carriers, which currently use only Boeing and Airbus.

"The large-plane project is being carefully studied," said Huang Qiang, secretary general of the Commission of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense. "We estimate that within two or three five-year-plan periods, our large planes will come into use."

It is the first time officials have specified a timetable for a project, which Huang said has led to widespread interest among the public and will be a cause for concern for foreign aircraft makers.

In China, key projects are usually part of national five-year plans - developing large planes was listed as a priority project in the 11th Five-Year Plan (2006-10), commission officials said earlier.

There have been mounting calls from the public for early implementation of the large-plane project, a program that "has also kept Boeing and Airbus on their toes", Huang told a press conference on the sidelines of the commission's annual work conference in Beijing on Tuesday.

Used for both military and civilian purposes, large aircraft have a load capacity of at least 100 tons; a passenger carrier of that size usually has 200 seats, experts said.

Huang said the large-aircraft project can build on the expertise and experience of the aviation industry, particularly of the ARJ21, China's Advanced Regional Jet, the manufacture of which began in December 2003.

The China Aviation Industry Corp I (AVIC I) has clinched 71 orders for ARJ21 jets, even though the regional plane will have test flights only next year, according to Huang.

The reasons for its success are that the company offers medium-capacity jets of the best quality at a competitive price, which best suits Chinese market needs, according to Liu Gaozhuo, former AVIC I president, who said he believes the same will be true for China's large aircraft.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Busi ... 1Cb02.html

earthman

Post by earthman »

We'll see about the quality of the planes after they start flying, thank you very much.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

earthman wrote:We'll see about the quality of the planes after they start flying, thank you very much.
Indeed, at first they will not be very competitve IMHO. In 20 years however...

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

I think that their ARJ plane has something to do with the MD-80...though I can't remember 100%.
Also, who thought 20 years ago that Brazil would be such a large airliner producer?

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

earthman wrote:We'll see about the quality of the planes after they start flying, thank you very much.
So true. :)
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.