Brussels airlines: Strategy and business plan

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Avro

Brussels airlines: Strategy and business plan

Post by Avro »

This topic is intended to discuss the new strategy and products of brussels airlines. If you want to discuss the logo and the colours you can do it in the following topic: brussels-airlines-logo-and-colours-t19107.html

The press release can be found here and is very interesting to read ;) : https://www.aviation24.be/article12892.html

Chris

SN_fan

transfer pax

Post by SN_fan »

It looks to me that is isn't possible for booking a flight with a transfer is bru for flight within EU

beaucaire

Post by beaucaire »

More important than anything else is their Africa plan!
Only a network-carrier with tangible assets are of real interest -in the case of SN that is clearly their African network.
It must become denser with higher frequencies .The loss of the Camair deal was a blow,but should be used as lesson to work soon on a real strategy for Africa. I would not invest too much on US flights,since the US carriers will connect to BRU sooner in higher numbers.
Fleet-renewal for the Avros is a must,once the financing is secured.
Flying Low-Cost products on small aircraft does not allow for great yields-so the A319 type /E 190 Class would be preferable ..

teach

Post by teach »

Fleet-renewal for the Avros is a must,once the financing is secured.
I disagree. Most of those planes (except for the 6 BAe 146s) are relatively young (delivered from the end of 1995 onwards) and can be used for quite a few more years. SN apparently pays very low leasing rates for them, as the deals were closed shortly after 9/11, during a large worldwide recession. Getting new planes would save the airline some fuel, but the leasing rates would go up considerably, probably more than the fuel prices would go down, so it wouldn't make much sense to replace them at this point.
Last edited by teach on 07 Nov 2006, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Scoezie

Croatia

Post by Scoezie »

What is strange for me is that SN is not offering any destination in Croatia anymore. Thaught that they had a very extensive codeshare agreement with croatia airlines. Bad move if you ask me, croatia is a very attractive market..

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

Well, at least we still fly to Croatia from time to time :)
I was actually hoping to hear some news about fleet future too. A fleet with Avro's, Boeings and Airbusses.... That just shouts for a plan...
I personally hope the avro's will disappear in time 'cause I just can't believe a national carrier flying across Europe with Avro's will draw attention...
About the destinations, I see some North-American and Canadian. I believe these are just the code-share destinations and not places they are going to fly to themselves...
I'm looking forward to see the b flying around!

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

The definition is a real surprise:
Brussels Airlines: a new style
The new name is a perfect description of Brussels Airlines’ activities, because, from its home base at Brussels Airport, the airline connects the capital of Europe with over 50 European destinations as well as several intercontinental networks.

Honestly, I do not see a difference with what was before. Except for the given new names, of course.

BTW B-light.
b.light is Brussels Airlines’ answer to passengers looking for the low-cost tickets oneway, all-in.
Neil Burrows, must have known...
How is a British going to pronounce B-light?

Don't shoot a me, I did not invent that term.... Indeed, speaking with blithe ignorance of the true situation, one can accuse me....

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Later this evening in Ter zake - Canvas, they will talk about Brussels Airlines.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I see potential as from 25 March 2007. Its a good move to drop business class on Europe flights because they were never sold out. With the new b-flex they can offer seats at 50% cheaper then former business.

Don't forget that they want to transport a lot more pax. That's a choice.

But what about their code share partners in Europe? Would that be no problem because Brussels Airlines will offer other products and other prices.

And what about Africa. Will there be higher frequenties or new destinations like Cotonou and Lagos?

I haven't seen a note about adding aircrafts into the fleet. On the radio news they spoke about North-America and Canada routes in a further stage.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I've been wondering, how many tickets can be sold as b-flex or b-light? 40%-60%, 30%-70%, or is it able to fill a whole plane with only b-light tickets?What if b-light is sold out for a certain flight, are potential passengers offered a b-flex ticket, ... .

Cesare

Post by Cesare »

In London (LHR and LGW), Berlin (TXL and SXF) and Milan (MXP and BGY) Bruselles Airlines will operate in two different airports of the same city... :?:

For me the best is to concentrate on only main airport of these city.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

The LCC can sell cheap tickets because their whole operation is geared that way :
- very short turn-around time, possible because no food is loaded, the cabin is not thoroughly cleaned, etc;
- they use small airports, less luxuous terminal, no air bridge, ...
- the fleet go back to base every night (no hotel cost)
- nearly all tickets sold on the net
- and so on
How is it feasible to sell cheap and costly seats on the same plane ?
For the high fare paying pax, you have to :
- embark food at each stop, have more F/A to serve the meal
- go to the main airports (more costly)
- you can't cram them in the bus to the terminal,
and so on
It is not really apparent how the same airline can be low-cost for a part of its custom and high-cost for the rest - and how will they determine the proportions, which would be different for each market ?
I have no doubt they have thought of a solution; I look forward to see how they manage to make it running and profitable.

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

blackhawk wrote:I've been wondering, how many tickets can be sold as b-flex or b-light? 40%-60%, 30%-70%, or is it able to fill a whole plane with only b-light tickets?What if b-light is sold out for a certain flight, are potential passengers offered a b-flex ticket, ... .

B flex and B light have the same seats and I doubt there will be any curtain. So it is very easy to allocate more B flex or B light seats.The only difference is that up until a certain row drinks and food will be free, beyond that row you will have to pay.

So in that view ... maybe better to keep the curtain.

blackbox

Post by blackbox »

I really hope they replace those claustrophobic Avro's ASAP and buy/lease some nice Boeings. (also for long haul)

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

This is nice: b.flex is sometimes cheaper than b.light. For example: Brussel to Firenze on May 25 : b.light = 110 EUR | b.flex = 85 EUR 8)

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Am I right in saying that Brussels Airlines won't fly to Faro or Murcia?! I thought they would have been nice money makers, no?

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Charlie Roy wrote:Am I right in saying that Brussels Airlines won't fly to Faro or Murcia?! I thought they would have been nice money makers, no?
Both Faro and Murcia are mentionned in the press release as Summer 2007 destinations, so they won't stop flying them.

OO-VEX

BrusselsAirlines

Post by BrusselsAirlines »

Thanks for that insider info VEX!

Is there still a plan to expand the medium- and/or long-haul fleet on the short term?

website-info

Post by website-info »

Hi All,

For a good business plan to suceed you need to keep your frequent travellers happy :lol: but as yet I've still not had an email telling me about all the great new things, surely that could have been done automatically (just like all the other crap you keep offering me by email) to conincide with the name launch - come on 'Brussels Airlines'

and as I side note, surely the new logo/name could have been erected on the corporate building yesterday as well (or maybe they didn't have a big enough sticker)

Keep us happy and we'll keep you flying, piss us off ...............

T

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

blackbox wrote:I really hope they replace those claustrophobic Avro's ASAP and buy/lease some nice Boeings. (also for long haul)
Hey, what is wrong with the Avro's ? In the 5-in-a-row configuration used by SNBA so far they are just perfect for me. Try a Canadair CRJ 700 or the new CRJ 900 or an Avro with 6 seats in a row and you might know what claustrophobic means!
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer