Techniques for panning shots

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Avro

Techniques for panning shots

Post by Avro »

Hi all,

I would like to start this topic in order for people to share their experience with panning shots. I would like to improve in that field of photography and for the moment the results I get are not very glorious yet.

If people share their experience in this topic we could maybe try to improve all together.

Let me start with the first picture:

Yesterday I took the following photo:

The photo was taken at a shutter speed of 1/20s f20 and ISO 100.

The real conditions were not as grey as on the picture. I would like to know if someone knows how I could bring that light and colour in the photo as in the real condition. Do I need to use different settings ? I tried to get more brightness with a lower f value, but then the photo was immediately over exposed..... I know the conditions were not full sun, but it was not as dull.

Thanks for the help

Chris

icr5

Post by icr5 »

If you use RAW in RawShooter Essentials there is a tool called "Fill light" which does a very good job in dull wheatheror shots looking like this. Just my 3 cents.

JoNnika

Post by JoNnika »

Just one question here...... why do you shoot a moving target at 1/20s? I always use from 1/320 to 1/1000 for aircrafts moving.

Avro

Post by Avro »

thanks for your input irc5

@ JoNnika: It's in order to obtain the panning effect:
those are two shots I managed to take with a more or less good result:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0883067/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0773059/L/

However I still seem to have a high ratio of photos whichdon't satisfy me. That's why I want to learn :)

Chris

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Dull shots are part of the game, with RAW you can brighten things up like you want. But even when using JPG, nothing is lost. Just a small correction about light & color balance and things looks much better.

I tried it via PS and after 2 minutes came to this result. Of course you can alter the pic like you want.

Always nice shots when shooting with low time setting which give very smooth backgrounds.

JoNnika

Post by JoNnika »

Ok, this topic really got my attention. By panning you mean the visible speed the aircraft is doing like the "moving" background?
Second question: how do you shoot an aircraft at 1/20s? If i go anything below 1/320s then the aircraft is totally movement blurry.

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Another golden tip: to obtain a real good shot it must be pin sharp at the begin. In this case it isn't and about this matter no corrections are possible.

So the challenge is: find a usable low shutter speed, but not to low to get pin sharp photo's. Afterwards the light & color corrections are "small things" to do.

I whish you good luck and the satisfaction will come surely.

icr5

Post by icr5 »

Just from curiosity, what is the camera and the lens used in this one?

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for your help Stef. I think I might have used a shutter speed which was a little bit too low for my skills....
JoNnika wrote:Ok, this topic really got my attention. By panning you mean the visible speed the aircraft is doing like the "moving" background?
Yes that's the purpose of panning. You get the plane sharp and the background fully blurred. This will give you a nice effect in my opinion.
Second question: how do you shoot an aircraft at 1/20s? If i go anything below 1/320s then the aircraft is totally movement blurry.
When lowering the shutter speeds to those small values you need to follow the movement of the plane with your camera while you are pressing the button to take the picture. By moving with the plane, the plane will stay sharp and the background will be blurred. However it's a lot more difficult to do then to say.
what is the camera and the lens used in this one?
For this shot: Canon EOS 300D + Tamron 28-300XR (yes the good old tamron ;) )

Chris