The merger of SNBA-TV

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Tommypilot

Post by Tommypilot »

blackhawk wrote:For me, in this case, the old name of SN Brussels Airlines is SABENA. Everyone knows SABENA, SN Brussels Airlines is almost unkown as brand in other countries. Even in Belgium how many are using the full name? They mention the company as SN, SN Brussels, SNBA, yes even Sabena.
Correct! But is that possible to rename your company to a name which was declared bankrupt?
Tommy
The word "impossible" is not in my dictionary! - Napoleon Bonaparte

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Tommypilot wrote:
blackhawk wrote:For me, in this case, the old name of SN Brussels Airlines is SABENA. Everyone knows SABENA, SN Brussels Airlines is almost unkown as brand in other countries. Even in Belgium how many are using the full name? They mention the company as SN, SN Brussels, SNBA, yes even Sabena.
Correct! But is that possible to rename your company to a name which was declared bankrupt?
Sure... SABENA SA/NV is bankrupt.
DAT is still alive and can use the commercial name of SABENA.
But.... perhaps they have to pay for it.
Don't forget SABENA technics has no name changed.....
Last edited by Airbus330lover on 31 Mar 2006, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Yes, but that is now something other. SABENA Technics is an other department and now not from SNBA or someone else.
The name SABENA was very important in Belgium and all over the world. But I don't know if there are a lot of reaction for a 'new' SABENA.

SabenaRebirth

Post by SabenaRebirth »

It would be GREAT if the Sabena name, known all over the world, would return!

Let's face it: SN Brussels Airlines is not a great name! Some people say SN, others say SN Brussels or SNBA or Brussels Airlines......It's too long and it doesn't sound well! And outside Belgium 'SN Brussels Airlines' is not widely known.

In Africa 'Sabena' is even a synonym for 'airplane'! We still have Sabena Technics and the Sabena flight academy ( www.sfa.be ), so it would be logical if the great Sabena name would return! (with ofcourse a new an modern logo)

:kvole: Image :kvole:
Last edited by SabenaRebirth on 31 Mar 2006, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

SE210

Post by SE210 »

I honestly think the name/brand SABENA should be (re-)used for our new unified national airline : no linguistic problems, strong brand in Africa which is where the money is, no problems in the US namewise, and last but not least a new acronym : Second Attempt to BE a National Airline (instead of Societé Anonyme Belge d' Exploitation de la Navigation Aérienne !)

b-west

Post by b-west »

Even in Belgium, SN Brussels Airlines is not so known... if you tell somebody "I flew SN", they just go "uh?"... So usually I add "you know, the former Sabena", then people get it.

And internationally, the situation is even worse. When I was in JFK last year, our codeshare AA/SN American Eagle flight to Washington was anounced as a Sabena flight on the departure screen
http://users.pandora.be/scorchio/pictures/PIC_0002.JPG

So yeah, maybe returning to the old name is not such a bad idea, it would save some PR costs ;)
Last edited by b-west on 31 Mar 2006, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

earthman

Post by earthman »

airazurxtror wrote: - two kinds of on-board service : one for "low-cost" passengers, another, more costly, for passengers wanting more leg room, changeable tickets, etc;
What's with those non-changeable tickets? While every LCC that I know of lets you change your tickets whenever you want for a small fee, almost every regular airline does not allow any changes on their low fare tickets, and you need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get a changeable ticket (sometimes more than just buying a new ticket at the lowest fare). LOT is a nice exception to this, so why don't more airlines get rid of those restrictions?

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

Drop the Brussels and change the name to SN Airlines.

Changing back to Sabena is a bad idea ... we need to move ahead ... not drown ourselves in nostalgia (those days were never profitable anyway).

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

AFApresident wrote:Drop the Brussels and change the name to SN Airlines.

Changing back to Sabena is a bad idea ... we need to move ahead ... not drown ourselves in nostalgia (those days were never profitable anyway).
It's not because you change the name to an airline who is bankrupt that you don't move forward. It would be a very smart move in terms of publicity in my opinion, and it would be very nice to see Sabena around.

Let's see what happens, but if the name changes, also the paint will have to change (again) ...
Tot hier en verder

Andries

Post by Andries »

Airbus_fan wrote:Let's see what happens, but if the name changes, also the paint will have to change (again) ...
Fun, then we can all begin to re-shoot al those aircraft with new titles/paint. Meanwhile I have some Avro's in 5 colorschemes (Sabena old, Sabena new, DAT (after Sabena Bankrupty), SNBA (white belly) and new SNBA (colored-belly) ... How many more are waiting for us :roll:
AirDupont wrote:4-6 long haul aircrafts but just 220-seaters, so maybe the 330's will be phased out???
220-seat ? So that leaves us with what ? ...

A332 : 250 (3-class configuration) ==> still too large ...
B763 : 220 (3-class configuration) ==> fits the 220 ...

Would they really be thinking of getting rid of those A330's and getting some 767's in return ? :?

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

winglets

Post by winglets »

The current network will be further optimised with greater emphasis being placed on the major economic centres of Europe.

The strategic plan also envisages an expansion of the medium and long haul fleets - the latter to extend long haul destinations to continents other than Africa. In conjunction with this, projects are currently also under way to participate in local intra Africa airlines’ ventures, in order to give greater support to certain existing routes.

Negotiations with aircraft lessors and manufacturers, to allow this expansion, were started some time ago.

source: http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en/comp ... m:29-11067

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Aren't they going to paint the A330s during their upcoming (is it C or D) checks? What a waste if they will have to paint them again in less than a year to apply that new corporate image.

an-148

Post by an-148 »

Does anybody know FOR SURE if the brand SABENA is for sale by bankrupcy liquidator?
Should it be the case< that would be the ultimate PR and marketing success: all advertising carrying titles like: Sabena is back for YOU!
This mythic name is more associated with a 80 years of Belgian know-how in aviation than with a dark story of bankrupcy organized abroad.

If possible, they should go 100% for Sabena: only the name will be avertising!

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

This is sure excellent news, it was about time they started taking some action into expansion.
I do hope they wont replace the A330's by B763's though

burner737

Post by burner737 »

Guys I know you guys wouldn't like the A330's leaving the fleet ... and who says the will ... But I talked to a few guys from SNBA techn. (DAT) and they said to me the A330s are really getting expensive to fly, because of their age ... So if they would have the money for it ... Why not ...

Let's hope the name is going to be Sabena again ... But I think it's more going to be SN Brussels Airlines again and SN Brussels Airlines Express ... Let's hope I'm wrong ...

Regards Tim

SabenaRebirth

Post by SabenaRebirth »

burner737 wrote:
Let's hope the name is going to be Sabena again ... But I think it's more going to be SN Brussels Airlines again and SN Brussels Airlines Express ... Let's hope I'm wrong ...
Nope, the CEO said the name SN Brussels Airlines will dissapear! :D

Also I read on Airliners.net that since a couple of weeks the name 'sabena' is owned by the SN-Air Holding...

Sabena, back in full force 8)

Avro

Post by Avro »

First of all I'm glad we finally hear some good news again from the Belgian aviation. :)

I'm also happy that they will change the name. They will need to find an easy name to remember, because a name à la "TV Belgium Airways" isn't a great PR tool.

Personally I don't see the name Sabena coming back.

All I hope is they don't make the mistake, to paint the 330 in the new SN livery, just to change them again a few months later. It would be a waste of money :roll:
AirDupont wrote:I was there, so I'll give you a bone to bite in and discuss....hahahaha
4-6 long haul aircrafts but just 220-seaters, so maybe the 330's will be phased out???
13-16 737/319
avro's will stay until 2010 at least

Enjoy the bone

Thanks for the interesting bone AirDupont

4-6 long haul planes ? They might finally start a link from Brussels to Asia...

Anyway, I wish them all the best and hope they will suceed and be able to fulfill the plan.

Chris

OOVEX

Post by OOVEX »

I agree that it would be great to see SABENA again in Brussels, but please do not forget that VIRGIN is a strong brand as well and well known all over the world. You all know that Branson likes surprises so it still might be possible that we will have something like Virgin Europe in the near future. Anyway I think it's great that we are moving forward as from today!

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

an-148 wrote:Does anybody know FOR SURE if the brand SABENA is for sale by bankrupcy liquidator?
Yes, the brand name is part of the trade fund, and therefore property of the liquidator.

Same applies for both sabena.be and sabena.com: these domain names are also owned by the liquidator.

Feel free to make him an offer: [email protected] (att Alain Dieteren)

Avro

Post by Avro »

Am I the only that still thinks that Branson might still be behind and create a new bigger airline out of BRU, with some long haul destinations + the African hub in colaboration wit hthe new Camair ??

Maybe I'm dreaming to see Branson come back to BRU ;)

Chris