Changes for OneWorld carriers at Heathrow

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ryanCX

Changes for OneWorld carriers at Heathrow

Post by ryanCX »

Just saw this
http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=4342

Why can't they just all move to T5 with BA? It would be a lot better for transit passengers. Besides, the remaining OW carriers, JAL and RH included couldn't fill up the entire T3, so I'm sure they'd have share it with other carriers like SQ, EK and QR.

Btw, when BA do move to T5, will it mean they will have slots limited only by the capacity of the terminal? or will they remain with the number of slots they currently hold?

iechist

Post by iechist »

Not all BA flights will go into T5. Australian and Spanish flights will go into T3 (too much scope for confusion because a 'BA' flight could be operated by Qantas or Iberia). Also, the other OneWorld airlines have a fair portion of the slots at Heathrow (I believe Aer Lingus hais the third highest share), so it would be fairly full.

If all OneWorld airlines went into T5, it would mean T5 handling over 50% of the airport's traffic, which wouldn't be practical.

The slot allocation at Heathrow is:

BA: 41 per cent
BMI: 14 per cent
Other One World Airlines: 12 per cent
Other Star Alliance Airlines: 12 per cent
Virgin Atlantic: 3 per cent

Looking at these figures, it is T4, the Skyteam terminal that will be looking empty.

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Very interesting numbers on slot allocations. With Qantas having such a big operations in Heathrow, with Cathay Pacific perhaps the largest Asian carrier to fly there, with American Airlines flying there more than any U.S. carriers, and with other European oneworld carriers, I can't imagine T3 will not be utilized fully.

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

iechist wrote:Looking at these figures, it is T4, the Skyteam terminal that will be looking empty.
There may also be DL/CO/NW flights in the future

Also, many airlines not part of an alliance, such as Icelandair may use T4

iechist

Post by iechist »

Humberside wrote:
iechist wrote:Looking at these figures, it is T4, the Skyteam terminal that will be looking empty.
There may also be DL/CO/NW flights in the future

Also, many airlines not part of an alliance, such as Icelandair may use T4
Supposedly, the terminals will be allocated as follows

Terminal 1: Star Alliance
Terminal 2: Non-Aligned Airlines
Terminal 3: OneWorld excluding BA, but including BA to Spain and Australia
Terminal 4: SkyTeam
Terminal 5: BA

However, after Terminal 5 is finished, the next development step is to demolish and rebuild Terminal 2, so having the non-aligned and SkyTeam airlines in the same terminal could be a good short-term move.

I don't know about DL/CO/NW flying into Heathrow. Although, it will be allowed with the EU OpenSkies agreement, they'll still need to get landing slots at Heathrow. These are only available at the times of day they least want them at the moment.

Lukas_Ridgeston

Post by Lukas_Ridgeston »

I thought Virgin was moving to T4, together with other "non-aligned carriers" and SkyTeam? - you can find this on BAA's website

Check out BAA website - About BAA - Our Industry - Speeches and Presentations - "Transforming Heathrow - 10 November 2005"

This should tell all. This was before the new agreement with BA about keeping flights to Oz and Espana in T3 was announced, of course.
also check out the cool pix of what LHR should look like by 2012 !

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

2012? Chaos I imadgine. thousands of people here for the Olympics

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

vc-10 wrote:2012? Chaos I imadgine. thousands of people here for the Olympics
Wich is why they want T2 rebuild before 2012...

criscokid

Post by criscokid »

Lukas_Ridgeston wrote:I thought Virgin was moving to T4, together with other "non-aligned carriers" and SkyTeam?
Virgin have just spent a shed load of money on refurb at Terminal 3 and that's also where the new gates for the A380 are (which Virgin have on order).