Boeing 737 Composite on the move

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bits44

Boeing 737 Composite on the move

Post by bits44 »

Boeing has named the heads of the 737 Composite planning team.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/b ... ing02.html
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

MX727

Post by MX727 »

2012 does not seem so far....can´t wait to see the results. Thanks for the link bits.
Regards,
JAHC

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

Cool.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

A lot of this hinges on the success of the 787. If the 787 is a technological flop, then Boeing may be in serious trouble. Come on 787!!! Work baby!!!!
:jumpy: :jumpy:
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

Andries

Post by Andries »

Knight255 wrote:A lot of this hinges on the success of the 787. If the 787 is a technological flop, then Boeing may be in serious trouble. Come on 787!!! Work baby!!!!
The 787 will work, trust me ! Boeing would not start with it if they were not sure it would work. OK, the used materials are new, but that is only a sign of progress in the industrie. Some time will be needed, also for technicians, to adapt to 787-technology. But in the end, you'll see a 787 like any other aircraft.
MX727 wrote:2012 does not seem so far....can´t wait to see the results. Thanks for the link bits.
Regards,
JAHC
They say at the earliest 2012. Besides, they haven't announced anything. They just named the heads of the devellopment team. 2012 to 2015 is only a target for now, only a target ... Expect an official lanch after they 787 has entered service. My guess would be 12 to 18 months of service for the 787 will be the time they announce the 737RS. This way they will have found the biggest bugs in 787-technology and will thus make a better 737RS.

a FlightInternational impression of the Y1 (737RS)
http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... nting.html

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

CX

Post by CX »

The 737NG didn't seem too long ago... i don't think this replacement will come until at least 2015...

It is kinda impossible that the 787 will not work, but i just keep imagining what if those composities really don't work? What if they do crack easily? ie by a hit of a catering truck, or simply fatigues quickly from continous pressure changes? There will be a huge delay and probably everyone would move to A350.. But i'm sure this won't happen..~

A320joske

Post by A320joske »

You definitely have a point there!

Repairs is definitely a problem. With composites you always have the problem of secondary bonding. This means that a piece made in one process is always a lot stronger than made in 2 processes or just 'glued together' afterwards.
Another issue with composites is that they don't show any visual signs of weakness - fi after a truck hit the airplane - with alu you would have a visible dent with or without cracks...with composites; no visual clue or an idea of what happened in the material/behind the paint. It could become clear after a force is placed on the material - so when pressurised after take-off...
+ they tend to break apart suddenly without any visual warning at very high stresses - so this means at high altitudes with high differential pressures 8O
You could forget about visually inspecting for cracks as in airframes or in jet engines.
One solution would be to remain with conventional techniques in the known weak spots.

Greets.

Andries

Post by Andries »

Well, these were also the reactions with the A300. But were there ever any BIG problems with the A300 tails ? (Don't start on the AA A300 crach, that was pilot-error)

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

JoeCanuck

Post by JoeCanuck »

Ive done some work with fibreglass, (repairing hoods, (bonnets), on big trucks). It's probably the most common composite material. It's amazingly strong stuff....and pretty easy to repair. Because of the weaving of the material, cracks don't propogate very easily and are usually seen on the surface first. This is because paint is way more stiff and brittle than fibreglass. Carbon fibre is even stronger, (for the same weight), than fibreglass and, I understand, more flexible.

If the paint hasn't been cracked by an impact, it's safe to say that the material beneath is intact.....not that I wouldn't want it tested anyway.

bits44

Post by bits44 »

Some new info on a new range of variations.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... +737+.html
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.