Dexter the Labrador - 1993-2006

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Dexter the Labrador - 1993-2006

Post by Comet »

Dexter the Labrador died today. He had a big fit followed by a smaller fit this morning and this paralysed his back legs. The vet said the kindest thing was to have him put to sleep, as he may have had a brain tumour. He died at home this afternoon.

The last photo taken of Dexter.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Oh Comet I feel very sad for you. I know how it feels to lose a pet. It's always something very difficult to come to terms with. You will always have happy memories of Dexter, but the thought of it might make you sad from time to time.

My previous cat, Miki 7 years old, also needed to die through an injection. He was very ill. Your loss makes my loss reappear again...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your kind words Vinnie. It is still a shock to think he is no longer here. He was ill earlier this week but he seemed to have got over this. And then today came the fits. The main consolation is that he did not suffer at all, as he had been perky and enjoying himself until having the big fit. We still have our mad cat but she will start to wonder where the dog is soon.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

My condolences

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

The hour has come,
the bitter hour.
We shall now say farewell,
But you will remain in our memory,
our soul,
our heart,
our love.
We will never forget your deeds,
your heroic deeds,
your good deeds,
your heroic, good deeds.
We wish you a good journey,
we wish you luck,
we wish you love,
and most of all,
a lot of friendship.

in memory of Dexter

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thank you.

Fokker_f27, that is a beautiful tribute. Thank you very much.
Louise

VC10

Post by VC10 »

These messages are really very sweet, and the card and poem are lovely. I'll add my thanks to all who send their condolences. Thank you..
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

abishay

Post by abishay »

First of all sorry for loosing your Pet Comet :cry: I know how it feels :cry:

@ Fokker

are you a poet :?: Because my brother is a great poet and you can find his poems across the web :lol: and here is a link to his poems
http://allpoetry.com/abner

he is a poet and contribute his poems to that site

MX727

Post by MX727 »

It is always sad to loose a friend Comet. My condolences friend.

Regards,
JAHC
:(

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thank you abishay and MX727. It was gross getting up this morning and not having a dog to take out, like I normally would early on a Saturday.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

We are now extremely angry towards the vets practice.

Last August Dexter had a fit, we know it was a fit because we've seen them before. But the bloody incompetent "vet" who came out to see him said he had a :censored: heart murmur. We knew she was talking a load of :censored: because he showed no symptoms of a heart murmur, and so we got a second opinion from the practice boss, who said that Dexter did not need heart medication. But he never bothered to look into the cause of the fit, and when Dexter showed other symptoms the vet said he was going senile. If I could find out that Dexter had a :censored: brain tumour, then why couldn't those so-called bloody "vets"?

When Dexter was ill earlier last week, he got bloody antibiotics and painkillers, even though the vet didn't think he had an infection. When the vet came out on Friday she seemed surprised that the "vets" hadn't put Dex on anti-epileptic medication, but said that the fits were likely to be caused by a brain tumour (halle-bloody-lujah, here's someone who talked sense for once). But nothing could be done to save him.

If that bloody incompetent "vet" had done her job properly last year then at least we would have known what we were dealing with. There's one thing, that bloody inept :censored: won't be getting her murderous paws onto any more of my animals, unless she wants her bloody face smashing in.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

I'm sorry for Dexter Louise and VC10.

And that's one hell of a BLOODY story

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, I really feel for you Louise :sad: :sad: Is there a new dog on the horizon at all? If there is, it could be called DJ(Dexter Junior)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks again for kind words. As we live in a second floor flat, we won't be getting another dog, house training would be impossible, so we'll stick with cats unless our circumstances change. The place is weird without Dexter, as we used to take him for walks when it got to a certain time but now we are more at a loss with what to do. If we didn't have the cat then we would have gone out and got a kitten after losing Dex.

Brussels went to the vet the other day for her claws clipping. The vet said he was sorry about Dexter and finally admitted that he had a brain tumour. We are still angry about the mis-diagnosis, as although the outcome would have been the same, we would have known exactly what the problem was and we could have had more advice from the vets about what to expect. We had always had alot of faith in that particular vet but our confidence in him has been shaken alot.
Louise

abishay

Post by abishay »

:roll: Looks like you use to like dexter so much by the way most things to you have changed :cry: I feel very sorry for you :cry:

8O I just recognized that Dexter even though he died he was quite old old :oops: almost my age :oops: Because I am only a year older than him and i don't know the month he was born maybe it might be less than a year :oops: which is long because i feel so old now :lol:

But i feel so sorry for Comet losing him :cry:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks abishay. Dexter was a big part of our lives, and he was such a character that everyone loved him. He exact birthday was 13th August 1993, we always joked about him being born on Friday the 13th. If it hadn't have been for the tumour he would probably have had quite a long life, as he had no signs of arthritis, lameness, heart problems or other things that old dogs get and he was lively. My old Dalmatian lived to be 13, but he was getting lame so he was put to sleep when he could no longer enjoy a walk, not to with Dex, who loved a walk, or a game.
Louise

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Wow, he was only two days younger then me... too young.

abishay

Post by abishay »

fokker_f27 wrote:Wow, he was only two days younger then me... too young.
Were you born in august just like me 8O but different year :D

Its really sad to hear how the dog got Arthritis which i have or going to get because of sickle cells :cry:

:cry: Comet are you thinking of ever getting another Dog or pet in your life :?: or Dexter is the last one ever

Comet

Post by Comet »

abishay - no dogs for us, as we live in a second floor flat (apartment) we couldn't house train a puppy. Dexter was 10 when we moved to the flat so he was already house trained. But we still have a cat, and so we will stick with cats and birds. I couldn't imagine life without any animals because we've always had them.
Louise

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

All we have are these stupid fish in our back yard that do nothing but get eaten by birds... I'd really like a cat, but we have my grandmother (M.S. patient) and a busy road.