Biman - Dhaka - BRU - JFK - JFK - BRU - Dhaka

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Should the authorities forbid the Biman DC-10 planes to fly ?

Total votes: 0

wvdhoute

Biman - Dhaka - BRU - JFK - JFK - BRU - Dhaka

Post by wvdhoute »

This month, the Bangladesh flight BG-011 was cancelled 2 times.
Does anybody took this flight, and knows the reason why this flight was cancelled 2 times this month.

I have to take this flight next week. I know it's risky, but I didn't had another option.

wvdhoute

Biman - This could be maybe the cause ?

Post by wvdhoute »

Biman's New York flight to reach Dhaka 60 hrs late

BDNEWS, DHAKA

Sept 30: The New York flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines (BG-011) will, at last, arrive Dhaka at around 9:00pm on Saturday after a delay of over 60 hrs.

Sources in the Biman said the US Federal Aviation Authorities (FAA) permitted the DC-10 passenger aircraft to leave the John F Kennedy Airport after its 31 mechanical faults had been repaired.

The FAA authorities detained the old worn-out aircraft for 24 hours due to its various mechanical flaws.

Biman authorities arranged three hotels for the passengers at its own expenses.

It was learnt the plane took off with 178 passengers and 15 crew members at 10:00pm on Tuesday on the Dhaka-Brussels-New York route.

The flight was supposed to land at the Zia International Airport (ZIA) at 6:00am on Thursday and now it will reach Dhaka Saturday night — over 60 hours behind its schedule.

furrypoo

Post by furrypoo »

I love those planes. I appreciate that by now they`re probably held together with spit and baling wire :lol:

according to a Bangladesh news site one of their DC-10s was the last one off the production line.

regi

Post by regi »

Dear wvdhoute,
most of us know about Biman and their complete lack of understanding "how to run a business"
I do not want to be too critical but you are wrong by saying you have no choice but to fly Biman. If it is because of a cheap ticket to Bangkok, take Gulf Air from Paris. It just costs 100 euro more. A friend was 3 days under way flying Biman to Bangkok.
If your limited choice is for airlines to Dhaka, well, again, go for a arab company such as Emirates.
I have flown Biman and nothing went wrong. We even arrived 10 minutes early in Brussels. And Biman gives the fastest connection Bangkok-Brussels - if they respect the time table and don't stop in Dubai or Sylhet or where ever there is a VIP doing some shopping.
But don't complain if you get stuck in Dubai without food vouchers. Or if you have to stay in the Dhaka hostel for more than the 14 planned hours. Or if your flight just has...gone, vapourised, vanished.
After all, it is Biman.
But if you fly Business (850 euro) , and nothing goes wrong, it still could be a rather nice experience.
If it is for the cheapiest way to Bangkok, go by Mahan Air from Düsseldorf.

wvdhoute

Post by wvdhoute »

The reason I took Biman is because I will stay in Thailand for a long time.
Tickets valable for 12 months and changeable for free.
No other company can offer this tremendous service.
If it takes some more days to get to Bangkok or return from Bangkok... really, I don't care.
I'm more afraid of the security(31 mechanical faults). And I would like to know why the aircraft was two times too late in Brussels in December.

regi

Post by regi »

yes, you are right that Biman offers the cheapiest one year ticket.
May I advise you to take the business class ticket? You will need the extra luggage allowance.
You will probably book your ticket through De Vries in the Netherlands.
Be aware...

wvdhoute

Post by wvdhoute »

No, via Joker and it's a economy class ticket.

I don't take too much lugage with me, because I will buy my clothes in Thailand. They have cheap t-shirts in Carrefour and cheap shoes in Bata.

JetB

Post by JetB »

A Biman station manager offered my team free tickets to New York. Nobody was interested but one person, she never left because the flight was delayed for two days and she only planned to stay the weekend !.

If you still think about flying Biman, God bless you and good luck !.

regi

Post by regi »

so you booked already? And paid? In that case I rest my case.
I hope that Joker warned you about Biman. Or at least gave a hint about the unreliability.
People who flew by Biman from Brussels to Bangkok visa versa have seen the following airports - despite they were not on the shedule:
  • Heathrow
    Frankfurt
    Dubai
    New Dehli
    Sylhet (in case you ask now where that is: just wait and see)
    Paris
    Rangoon
You should read the reports in airlinequality and Ciao.de
Without being disrespectful, you seem to me a backpacker on a shoestring. Well, you hope to get a lot of free adventure. Be assured that with Biman, you gonna have loads of it.
You will enjoy the behaviour of bengali people which is completely in line with the national carrier. (non racist remark btw., personnal experience)
You will encounter new frontiers of your nerve system when you have to go through immigration at Dhaka airport.
Did you know: the Matrix is based upon the travel experiences with Biman.
Did you know: that Biman announces already 10 years that they will order new planes. Or that they even anounce that they have ordered new planes? But that they still hover from airport to airport with the left overs of the eighties? (which is now already +20 years ago)
Did you know that their website still lists airplanes which have crashed beyond recognition on some of their airfields?
Did you realize that you will have to reconfirm your return ticket by phoning a office in Bangkok, manned by the same uncapable people that man the airplanes?
It is just an endless story.
I thank you for asking a question about Biman. It gives me the opportunity to get rid off some frustrations of some years ago.
Good luck to you. And when you watch the movie The Matrix at your guest house in Khao Sarn Road, you will remember my reply.

wvdhoute

Post by wvdhoute »

You can put Ostend also...
Some of my friends landed there instead of Brussels.

The flight of 01/01/2006 from Biman is delayed... until 06/01/2005.

I will have to stay in Dhaka for one night. :-)

regi

Post by regi »

some practical advice about your stay in Dhaka: You must leave your pasport at immigration at the airport before you are taken to the hotel (no luxurous place by the way) Normally you are not allowed out of the hotel, to make a stroll in down town Dhaka. But you can cheaply bribe the responsables by paying for a city tour by taxi. But no freedom. The meals of simple but good standard are for free in the hotel.
Try to have some english pounds with you, in small notes. Bengali people use a lot of UK currency sent by the family in the UK.
If you know already that you will stay at least 1 night in Dhaka (normally it is 14 hours during the day) , I would calculate at least a week. Your year in Thailand gets shorter and shorter.

wvdhoute

Post by wvdhoute »

I know Dhaka already...

An advice,
visit Dreamland (30 Tk), the recreational theme park from Bangladesh, where nothing works anymore.
Also the Dutch club is a safe place to stay and meet some European people, mostly from the Netherlands.

regi

Post by regi »

No, I won't . Because I will not fly Biman anymore.

wvdhoute

Post by wvdhoute »

Biman changed his name into Boeman by the way...

regi

Post by regi »

Biman even has a frequent flyer program. It gives 1 free ticket for every 10 purchased tickets. Which means that nobody applies for a frequent flyer card.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Like a majority of you I voted "No"
My reason is simple : No Biman a/c to my knowledge suffered an accident meaning human damage.
Though I deplore like eveybody the far too many incidents and delays. So they probably are near the limit and as such must be observed and checked closely.
That's why I am not blaming this poll topic , quite the opposite.
Christophe

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Hahaha LOL Regi I just read your posts now..
I simply MUST try Biman once, though not out of masochism! since it seems you survived I can dare trying it ... maybe it is not as bad as that ;o)))
But as you suggest Biman is not an oddity in Bengladesh being in tune with the standards there...I presume.
But no need to shoot at them with red bullets, their record is probably relatively safer than many other african , russian (at a time now maybe it improved) or whatever dubious charter carriers
Christophe

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Leave Biman alone. Treat it as a positve thing that the airline chooses to use Brussels for its routes. The income is one more flight that helps to keep Brussels going.

Emirates

PH-RVG

Post by PH-RVG »

http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 20050701-0 tells about the crash landing of a Biman DC-10 about 6 months ago.... but, yes, nobody got killed.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

I voted "no" even tough those planes don't seem so safe... They probably are, tough. No worse then OO-TUC. If the FAA would loan them some money to fix the planes, nobody would doubt about them, right?
Bangladesh is a poor country, Biman needs help...
Correct me if I don't make sence. :roll:
Last edited by fokker_f27 on 11 Jan 2006, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.