What if no Dreamliner ever?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

chornedsnorkack

What if no Dreamliner ever?

Post by chornedsnorkack »

Airlines are all assuming that they are getting Boeing 787-s in 2008 and new models in 2010 and later. They call it a new revolutionary technology. They have orders for it.

There is no part of Boeing 787 in existence now. The plane is supposed to make a first flight in 2007. The making of the first frame is supposed to start in 2006.

What would happen if no Boeing 787 ever flew?

Once upon a time there was a new, revolutionary plane Boeing 2707. Airlines held, I think, 122 orders. And the assembly of the first flying frame had actually started - more than can be said of Boeing 787 now.

No Boeing 2707 was ever rolled out. The first plane was not completed.

What happened to airlines who had ordered Boeing 2707 but did not get them?

What would happen if, sometime in 2006, something were discovered so that no Dreamliner is ever rolled out? What would become of the airlines?

Andries

Re: What if no Dreamliner ever?

Post by Andries »

chornedsnorkack wrote:There is no part of Boeing 787 in existence now.

Once upon a time there was a new, revolutionary plane Boeing 2707. Airlines held, I think, 122 orders. And the assembly of the first flying frame had actually started - more than can be said of Boeing 787 now.
So if I follow your way of thinking, then you would have serious doubts about the A32X (the successor of the A320, probably A360) simply because there is no production line yet ?

Oooh boy ...

There allready is a 787 nose section produced ...
You can see a pic of it HERE

Besides, what makes you think the 787 won't come through ? This is a project way different than the Sonic Cruiser or 2707 ...

Besides, the 2707 was made to counter Concorde.
The 787 was not made to counter anything, on the contrairy, Airbus created the A350 to counter the 787 (which was the first of 'its kind').

You can be sure that if Boeing stops the 787-project this far into development, they can close their books and it's over for them !

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

fleabyte

Post by fleabyte »

Noel twinky Winky can click his heels three times and make that wish

MX727

Post by MX727 »

Of course the Dreamliner is going to fly, and I strongly belive is going to do it as planned. The technology is there and is perfect for the current market needs. The 2707 is another, completely different story. Expect to see the 787 in 2008. 8)
Regards,
JAHC

smokejumper

B-2707

Post by smokejumper »

You may recall that the Boeing 2707 was a Mach 3, 300 passenger, swing wing, commercial airliner that was heavily subsidized by the US Federal Government. It was intended to compete with the Concorde. Once common sense prevailed and it became accepted that the Government should not fund private development, the US Senate cancelled funding. I really wanted to see it fly, even if it did not enter production. I was told by the US Government's program manager for the plane's development that the cancellation costs exceeded the costs that it would have cost to comlete and deliver the plane. The US government was funding the development of the B-2707, but the airlines would have to purchase and fuel them with private funding.

Of course, we have the Concorde (a truly beautiful aircraft, even 40 years after its birth) to use as a measure for efficiency and operating costs to see why the B-2707 would not have been successful.