Air Marshall fires gun on jetway of AA Flight 924

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Ovostar

Air Marshall fires gun on jetway of AA Flight 924

Post by Ovostar »

They just said that on BBC NEWS,,,

They are showing live pictures. on BBX NEWS and CNN.. The plane was flying from Medellin colombia en route to Orlando... and landed in Miami
Last edited by Ovostar on 07 Dec 2005, 21:54, edited 4 times in total.

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367598/

What kind of plane is it ?

An A300 OR B767 ?

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

The shot was not fired on the airplane: it was fired in the jetway (gate 42 in miami international airport) to the aircraft after a passenger claimed he had a bomb and ran away from an airmarshall. The airmarshall ordered the passenger to lay down, the suspect complied but reached for his bag. After this, the marshall fired a shot at the suspect.

Thus, to prevent any misunderstanding, the shooting was NOT on the plane, it was in the jetway.

greetz

bAIR

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

Ok... i am going to change the title of the thread...

and the plane is a B757..

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Ok, that's cleared out then. Glad to see that those airmarshallers do have an effect! Allthough I'm not convinced that the guy actually carried a bomb...but yeah, we can't pay enough caution when it comes to safety

bAIR

earthman

Post by earthman »

Yes let's just shoot any suspicious person, just to be sure.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

idem in london underground

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

earthman wrote:Yes let's just shoot any suspicious person, just to be sure.
Yea, especially those who say they have a bomb in their carry-on luggage and then reach in to grab it. :roll:
US Airways - Fly with US

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

earthman wrote:Yes let's just shoot any suspicious person, just to be sure.
Before posting such intelligent statement just educate yourself and find out first what the roll of the FAM is and secondly also learn what the "field" conditions were..

Merry Christmas

:D

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

It was a mistake....

I Hate so much this shoot to kill policy... This story is very sad :(

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

While it is sad what happened (I don't think the guy actually had a bomb). I fully support the Air Marshall's decision in light of other passenger's safety and the knowledge of the situation that he had at the time.
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

The plane had already landed, and the guy was apparently already out of the plane...

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

Ovostar wrote:The plane had already landed, and the guy was apparently already out of the plane...
Get the FULL story please..and considering the issues at that moment the FAM had no other choice...Keep in mind what is at stake..

The rootcause of this tragedy is NOT the FAM or their standing orders but the way pax were acting/reacting. Alas, sooner or later this was going to happen considering how many times similar behaviours have been noticed.

I feel very sorry for the family, they for sure didn't deserve this..

regi

Post by regi »

Air marshalls apply for that job not to protect passengers but because they would be able to kill people . They do this voluntarely. This behaviour is contradictory to christian believe.

lastrow

Post by lastrow »

It would be interesting to get a detailed report about what happened. some say that a man was shot to death while running away. According to cnn.com, the man was already under control by these marshalls and was shot to death when he tried to grab something. I can't imagine that this death was necessary by now. And you always ask this way because a such a loss is a tragedy. But before starting a discussion about US "shoot then ask" polices please keep in mind that it is hard to tell to shoot or not if you a really standing in front of some guy in this situation.

And: if you are in the US, make an ill appearance and tell those guys that you carry a bomb with you -> bad idea I would expect to get shot down too.

Reminds me of the story of an Iraqi family who tried to pass an US military convoy near Bagdad in a car in the night. They were put under machine gun fire and all seriously injured. Was reported in the news in Germany. That's really sad. But what did these guys actually expect? Passing an US military convoy in the night is just a very bad idea considering all these bomb attacks happen daily over there. Just as stupid as claiming to have bomb in a plane.

-lr.

chunk

Post by chunk »

Guns. PLanes. Bad mix - whoever is carrying it.

Sounds like this air marshall didn;t think about it....if the guy really had a bomb why would he wait until the plane had landed, docked at the jetty and run away before detonating it? Something is wrong here with both sides of the story...be interesting if we ever find out what actually happened as opposed to what has been heard so far....

iechist

Post by iechist »

The passenger was mentally ill (bi-polar). Anyone who has ever known someone who is bi-polar will easily believe that this kind of behaviour is possible.

If an innocent person has been shot, it means that something has gone wrong. Without further details, I wouldn't like to apportion blame at the moment, but innocent people should not end up dead.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

regi wrote:Air marshalls apply for that job not to protect passengers but because they would be able to kill people . They do this voluntarely. This behaviour is contradictory to christian believe.
And that is meant to be objective or an opinion, cause it sounds pretty self confident and generalising don't you think?

earthman

Post by earthman »

Like they say, hindsight is always 20/20. It's too easy to say afterwards 'oh the person who got shot was innocent, something has gone terribly wrong'. I'm sure that at the time of the shooting the person looked all but innocent. If someone claims to have a bomb, and gets shot as a result, then it's mostly his own fault, even if he had no bomb at all.

My earlier comment was a response to a previous 'better safe than sorry' comment. While in this case shooting the person who claimed to have a bomb might be justified, I don't think that a general 'shoot first, ask later' attitude is such a great idea.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

You fly in the U.S., you WILL encounter Air Marshalls or FFDO's on a plane. I can guarantee it. It is a direct result of the events on 9/11. Hind-sight is always 20/20, we know now that he was bi-polar, and there wasn't really a bomb. I don't think we can make these arbitrary statements that the Air Marshall should have "thought things through", or "he did the wrong thing". He did what he was trained to do, this is a fact. Someone threatens with a bomb then reaches for a backpack, if I were an Air Marshall, you're damn right I'd shoot them! It would be my responsibility for the safety of the passengers/crew, so I don't think we can make these statements lightly that the Air Marshall did the wrong thing. He did his job. It is however, a tragedy, and I do feel sorry for the family.
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."