BRU in 2006: what to expect: airlines, routes, news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I hope it also. Jet Airways and Ethiopian Airlines are now at our frontdoor.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

About the problems at BRU. The consortium of consultants are investigate four options:

1) decrease of all activities on the airport.

2) status-quo

3) making from BRU a regional hub

4) making from BRU an intercontinental hub

The decision will be made in April of this year and will be published. In the same period SNBA will announce what future they have. Before the summer the government has the final decision.

Fingers crossed.

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

I really hope that they will choose the 4th option. As Atlantis already said: Fingers crossed, and hope God will hear our prayers.

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

I really hope that they will choose the 4th option. As Atlantis already said: Fingers crossed, and hope God will hear our prayers.

Don't be afraid, 2006 & 2007 are election years.

Greetz,

Dave

snowflake

Post by snowflake »

Atlantis wrote:I was referring to the trademission last year to China, Japan etc. BIAC was trying to bring a Japanese carrier this year to BRU. But I think it won't be for this year.
Yes, you`re right on that. NH won`t come to BRU this year. By `07 NH will increase its ops to EUR with 1 daily extra flight, which brings NH at 4 daily flights/day between the EU and JP. City has been decided, and it is not BRU. Logically BRU won`t be served before `08. From that point on NH gets their 50 B787`s allowing them to open up many new intercont destinations, with some in EUR.
JL is not looking at BRU at this point due to its financial situation.
Though never forget that this is airline business, very unstable, you never know...

SF

itami

Post by itami »

snowflake wrote:
Atlantis wrote:I was referring to the trademission last year to China, Japan etc. BIAC was trying to bring a Japanese carrier this year to BRU. But I think it won't be for this year.
City has been decided, and it is not BRU.
SF
So which destination have they chosen for ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:About the problems at BRU. The consortium of consultants are investigate four options:

1) decrease of all activities on the airport.

2) status-quo

3) making from BRU a regional hub

4) making from BRU an intercontinental hub
They forgot:
0) Close the airport and relocate it elsewhere :?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

To be honest I wouldn't dream to much. I rather think option 3 will be chosen.

It seems BRU isn't able to attract long haul traffic the last few years, why should this drasically change in the future ?

If how ever they start to make out of BRU an important regional hub, they might in the end attract long haul traffic and who knows become an international hub ;)

Just my 2 euro cents

Chris

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Avro wrote:
It seems BRU isn't able to attract long haul traffic the last few years, why should this drasically change in the future ?
Why do you think? There is one single answer.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

According to a very reliable source at Travel Magazine the chance is very big that this year BRU will receive a Chinese carrier. It's not a surprise that it is Hainan Airlines. This airlinename will change in the near future in Grand Chine Airline.

The decision to fly to Europe is already fallen but they have to choose between Zürich and BRU.

If they choose for BRU, it's growing day by day, they will connect BRU with Boston. Hainan have also other plans with it's future new European hub.

They want to fly this route with a B767-300ER and within two years with a B787.

But, don't shoot the messenger. The source is Travel Magazine.

Fingers crossed and hope for BRU that they indeed can welcome Jet Airways, Ethiopian and Hainan. In het Nederlands; driemaal is scheepsrecht.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It's official confirmed that Ethiopian Airlines start operations this summer to BRU.
They start at the end of March or begin April. During the past weeks they had talks with BIAC and companies for ticketing, catering, handling.

The flights are going via Paris. The flights from AMS to Addis Abeba are also changing and are going via Frankfurt iso Rome.

If the route BRU - Addis Abeba will be a success they will think to change metal into the B787 Dreamliner.

So, this is very good news to start the weekend and for our airport BRU.

Source: Travel magazine

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Atlantis wrote:The decision to fly to Europe is already fallen but they have to choose between Zürich and BRU.
Why would they choose BRU over Zurich?
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

killerwhale65 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:The decision to fly to Europe is already fallen but they have to choose between Zürich and BRU.
Why would they choose BRU over Zurich?
Why would they choose Zürich over BRU? Same question. It's a very strange question if you asked me.

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

i dont see whats strange about that, i just would like to know why a company would choose this or that airport?
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Xorry

Post by Xorry »

The decision to fly to Europe is already fallen but they have to choose between Zürich and BRU.
Geneva is on Hainan list too.

For french speakers:
http://capaero.forumactif.com/ftopic819 ... arrive.htm

Nothing has been decided yet.¨

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

About those four options.

Off couse I hope that BRU will grow.( I'm even dreaming of a fourth runway, expanding Brucargo at the 15de Wing, adding another terminal at the oposite of 02 20 with underground from the one to the other )

But how is it possible that BRU will become an international hub, without being a regional.? It is unlikely that there are enough people for those flights that will come to BRU for that. There has to be feeder lines no??
Last edited by SN_fan on 21 Jan 2006, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

killerwhale65 wrote:i dont see whats strange about that, i just would like to know why a company would choose this or that airport?
The positive points of BRU according to Hainan:

1) Bru is positioned strategic very good.

2) Very good connections with the rest of Europe.

3) They are the first carrier for the route Beijing - BRU. No competition at all. When the American DOT give permission to fly to Boston also no competition.

4) The BRU airport fares are very competitive with the rest of the European airports.

Behind the scenes the people of Macquarie Airports are working very hard to attract more airlines to BRU are are very, very close in this operation.

LJ

Post by LJ »

Why would they choose Zürich over BRU? Same question. It's a very strange question if you asked me.
Because a) Zurich is an important financial centre in Europe (though not as important as London or Frankfurt) and b) Switzerland houses more 9and larger) multinationals than Belgium. Yields at ZRH tend to be high (a lot of C traffic) However, the drawback for ZRH is, as you mentioned, that ZRH is Star Alliance etrritory and LHLX may not like competition.

Avro

Post by Avro »

LJ wrote:
Because a) Zurich is an important financial centre in Europe (though not as important as London or Frankfurt) and b) Switzerland houses more 9and larger) multinationals than Belgium. Yields at ZRH tend to be high (a lot of C traffic) However, the drawback for ZRH is, as you mentioned, that ZRH is Star Alliance etrritory and LHLX may not like competition.
I totally agree with you LJ. The only positive point I see in going for BRU is simply because there would be no competition. Otherwise I think ZRH has better chances.

Why do you think? There is one single answer.
What do you mean with your reply Atlantis ?? I don't get it. Of course there are more solutions than just one. I just gave my opinion.

And to finish: Great news for Ethiopian. I hope they'll do well. It would be nice to have a few B787 in the first years of service of this planes.

Chris

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

LJ wrote:
I am not so sure about argument b) - there are a lot of international headquarters in BE/BRU ... and I am not so sure about the C traffic. Are there any figures about both aspects? Additional argument for BRU is that it is on the top in the list of international conference cities in Europe ...

Danny