Reykjavik To Isafjordur With Icelandair

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Reykjavik To Isafjordur With Icelandair

Post by Comet »

I had my first ever flights in the Fokker 50 on holiday in Iceland once. The Icelandic airline Icelandair (known in the domestic fleet as "Flugleidir" a combination of the words "Flugfelag Islands" and "Loftleidir", the two airlines which merged to form Icelandair in the 1970s) had previously operated the Fokker 27 Friendship on the domestic services from Reykjavik Airport but had recently acquired the Fokker 50 as a replacement.

Reykjavik Airport is a purely domestic airport, close to the city centre. The international airport of Iceland is Keflavik, which is located some distance from Reykjavik on an American NATO base site.

The Fokker 50 operating my flight was TF-FIS "Sigdis" (still with the airline but under a different registration). I was not too far from the front, about mid way, so I had a good view of the landing gear. The weather at take off was good, but the cloud increased as we flew towards Isafjordur. The service on board was basic, but pleasant. Only soft drinks were available, so I had orange juice.

Isafjordur is in the north west of Iceland, surrounded by a fjord and some fearsome mountains! The approach is quite tough, the aircraft approaching at almost 180 degrees in order to avoid the mountain, and flying between the mountain and the fjord to land on the runway.

The take off was different!! Almost as soon as we were airborne, the aircraft was on its side and climbing to avoid those mountains! The Icelandair domestic pilots are certainly a fearless bunch, and very skillful, as Iceland as some terrain which is very difficult to navigate. I flew back to Reykjavik on "Sigdis" again, and the service was much the same as before. The landing in Reykjavik was on a sunny evening after a fun flight.

I enjoyed my first flights in the Fokker 50, but unlike the Fokker 27, the F50 has relatively smaller windows, which are not as good for viewing, but it is still a superb aircraft!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hey Comet, you make sometimes very unusual trips.

I guess Rei-ykjavik must be a spotters paradise with some extraordinary birds.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Reykjavik Airport certainly is fun for spotting! On one holiday I stayed in the Loftleidir Hotel, which is very close to the airfield where the Fokkers depart from. At that time it was the Fokker 27, but I still used to like watching them from the hotel cafe!

On one occasion I got myself into position to photograph one as it came in to land, and when I got the photo developed I had captured the aircraft in shadow, with the wheels coming down and doing that characteristic Fokker "nose dive".

On another occasion we were walking along the path near the airport perimeter fence when a Fokker 27 came in - literally seconds from landing - right above my head, the noise was indescribable, but it was quite something!

Yes, I certainly do have some unusual trips. I would write about my first ever flight, but I was only four years old and don't really remember anything about it, except we flew from Gatwick to Tenerife.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise