VLM From London City to Antwerp (and return)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

VLM From London City to Antwerp (and return)

Post by Comet »

My flight number was VG104, date was 1st September 2003.

The aircraft operating the flight was Fokker 50 OO-VLV "States of Guernsey".

I was sitting in seat 12A, one row from the back of the aircraft. This particular aircraft had leather seats throughout and was very comfortable, with reasonable leg room for a prop (32").

Our take off was slightly delayed by ten minutes, and after a smooth run, we took off into a good, not too cloudy sky. We were told that the flight time was around 50 minutes.

There was a crew of two stewardesses, who were very friendly and efficient. Unfortunately, being near the back meant that we were among the last to be served with our snack. The in flight snack consisted of: a sesame bun with cheese, a flaky pastry type thing with chocolate chips in, a square of chocolate with the VLM logo on the wrapper and orange juice to drink. I was hungry, and ate all the meal, which was nice, the bread bun being crusty and the flaky pastry thing being a pleasant surprise!

As we flew over Belgium, the cloud increased, and it was overcast when we landed in Antwerp after a superb flight.

The return flight was VG111, on 10th September 2003. This was operated by OO-VLS "City of Manchester". I was in seat 4A this time (VLM have abolished business class so I was able to sit near the front). This afforded excellent views of the propeller and the landing gear as it was raised and lowered (the only kind of seats to have on the Fokker 50!!) The seats on 'VLS were not leather.

The cabin crew consisted of a steward and a stewardess, who were very friendly and polite. There was another slight delay to take off, this time it was raining and heavy cloud throughout the flight, and also turbulent in parts.

The in flight snack was - another sesame cheese sandwich, with the option of either a chicken sandwich or fresh fruit salad. I chose fresh fruit salad which contained apple, melon, grape and orange and was nice, as was the sandwich. Another chocolate was provided. To drink I had Maes, served in a 33cl can instead of the usual 25cl which other airlines hand out.

The approach into London City was sensational. We were to land on the end of the runway which is furthest away from the terminal, which results in a steep nose dive approach over the River Thames. It is necessary to grip under seat luggage with your feet to stop it sliding forward down the aircraft on this approach, it is not for the nervous!!! The pilot raised the nose just in time to make a perfect touchdown on the runway, and that was the end of my flying until next year. But it was brilliant!!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to see the photos to go with this report, hit the following link to see them

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... adid=15644
Last edited by Comet on 27 Nov 2003, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Nice report Comet!! I wish i had the chance to get on a Fokker 50 to from VLM! Damn, that the foodpicture has been blurry!!

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Comet,

nice detailed report! I am glad you enjoyed your Belgian experience ;-)

Sloeber-beer, does it tastes like Duvel ?

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Sonny - I'm glad you liked the pictures, maybe you will get on the Fokker 50 someday!

Bart - Sloeber is not really like Duvel, it is a bit weaker (7.5%) and darker. It has a milder taste, not as bitter as Duvel (though I do like Duvel!!) The most like beer I can think of is Judas. Sloeber is very easy to drink, and I imported four bottles (and two glasses) to drink at Christmas.

Once again, really sorry for the poor in flight meal photo :(
Louise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Comet wrote:Once again, really sorry for the poor in flight meal photo :(
It's no problem, that gives you a reason to come back to Belgium very soon :lol: ;-)

greetings,

Bart

Comet

Post by Comet »

luchtzak wrote:
It's no problem, that gives you a reason to come back to Belgium very soon :lol: ;-)

greetings,

Bart
That's a wonderful thought :D It's Brugge for me next year!!! :D
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report and pix, Comet.
Comet wrote:It's Brugge for me next year!!! :D
With Ryanair from Stansted? :lol:
André
ex Sabena #26567

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

In addition to Comet's report these 2 drawings I've made.
This one is OO-VLR"City of luxembourg" at London city
And this one OO-VLQ at it's hometown. This drawing I've made from a picture I've made after a short flight above Flanders in september 2001.
In september ( or october ) 2002 I did it again. We flew for about 30 minutes over Flanders. ( the harbour, Gent, Hulst )
I don't know if VLM organises such flights again this year.

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:Thanks for nice report and pix, Comet.

With Ryanair from Stansted? :lol:
:evil: Ryanair???!!! Me? You must be joking!!! Seriously, I don't know yet who I will fly with, I love London City and VLM, but also I would love to fly with SN Brussels. The only problem with SN Brussels are the Manchester flights, there are too many which are done by BA in code share, and I will not fly with BA under any circumstances. I have always flown to Belgium with the Belgian carriers, and I will continue to do so.

MD11 - your drawings are superb. I especially love the one of OO-VLQ, this is a special aircraft for me, as it operated my first (and second) flights with VLM back in 2002, between Brussels and London City. Also, notice that you live in Mechelen, I have just spent nine wonderful days there, you have a superb town, pity about all the bits which are dug up at the moment though!!

Also, I have decided to enter my photo of OO-VLM in VLM's online photo competition.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Nice report, Comet!

What was the load factor on your flights?

Bart: excellent drawings, congrats!

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I forgot to say to Comet: why not try out the new SNBA service from LGW to BRU and vice versa? You can do it in a day trip for example...

Fares start at only €87 I believe.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Frederic - both flights were virtually full, I only saw one empty seat on my outward flight, and I didn't notice any on the flight home. I would say load factor was around 98% for the first flight and 100% for the second, VLM do get very full and it can be hard to get seats, you have to book early if you want to fly at a reasonable time. The fact that they only have small, 50 seat aircraft doesn't help!!

The prices from LGW-BRU do sound very reasonable, and LGW is an easy airport to reach by train, it is certainly one to consider.
Louise

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Comet wrote:Sonny - I'm glad you liked the pictures, maybe you will get on the Fokker 50 someday!
I will take VLM on a day!!! I will!!
Because London is a grat city and i like to do a citytrip.

Greetingzz

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Indeed, great drawings!

I like the F50 to, they make such a great APP's when there are heavy winds :lol:

Regards,
Rutger
Tot hier en verder

Comet

Post by Comet »

vliegtuigfreak wrote:
I will take VLM on a day!!! I will!!
Because London is a grat city and i like to do a citytrip.
That's the spirit Sonny!! You are right, London is a wonderful city, I had a little holiday there myself back in May, visited loads of museums and things!

You like the English capital city and I like the Belgian capital!!
Louise

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Comet wrote:That's the spirit Sonny!! You are right, London is a wonderful city, I had a little holiday there myself back in May, visited loads of museums and things!

You like the English capital city and I like the Belgian capital!!
I not like only England, but Ireland to!! Ireland is such a great country + Aer Lingus to!!

Greetingzz

Avro

Post by Avro »

Very nice report Comet :wink:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Glad you liked the report Chris.

VLM are the most efficient airline I've ever flown with, and the fact that they don't have a business class any more means it is easy to get seats near the front of the aircraft, which is a bonus on a Fokker 50 when you like to watch the raising and lowering of the landing gear, and the propellers!!

The crews are superb, we had the same stewardess on the outward and return flights.

The fact that they use London City airport is also a bonus, that is the best airport to land in (owing to the 5.5 degree approach) in the whole of the UK! It also has a very pleasant terminal with an internet cafe, nice eating area with excellent runway view and it isn't too crowded.
Louise

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

I really liked your trip report. I loved your photos.

I wish I could fly VLM sometime but we usually just go to places in America (ie: Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit, Orlando etc.). The only time I left America was when we drove down to Mexico one time.

In November we are going to Phoenix again and In December we are planning a trip to go from Green Bay to Phoenix then to Cabo San Lucas Mexico and we are going to fly America West :jumpy:.
Onward and Upward...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Glad you liked my report and photos!

Maybe if you decide to visit Belgium sometime you could fly via London and catch a VLM flight, but the Fokker 50 will be replaced within the next 10 years, so you would need to be quick!!
Louise