Ryanair paying passengers to fly?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote:1) Ryanair was giving away flights free of charge (at that time they did not pay passengers yet!). I decided to fly to Shannon. I looked on Internet, booked the flight, paid the airport taxes by credit card and was charged 5 € as a fee for the use of a credit card.

2) I needed a rental car upon arrival at SNN. Ryanair offers Hertz at reasonable prices on their website. I booked and paid by credit card. No fee this time, but Ryanair gets a commission from Hertz.

3) I also needed a hotel. Same scenario, but with an Irish hotel chain.

4) When you fly, no free food or drinks. You have to buy them at outrageous prices.

5) On the plane you can also buy souvenirs.

6) Ryanair runs a low-cost telephone company!
Oh, I forgot:

7) Ryanair also has a Ryanair credit card!
André
ex Sabena #26567

JetB

Post by JetB »

André,

Go to WWW.VIRGIN-EXPRESS.COM and book a ticket.

1 you can book a hotel on there site

2 you can book a car on there site

3 you can book a meal on there site

4 you can buy wine, cd's, a Virgin Atlantic ticket and much more......

But I dont see monster profits for Virgin Express !!!!

Only point is how much profit does Ryanair really make without government subsedising ?

Anyway this not where they make there money (only 20 %), these extra's are nothing new for airlines

A318

Post by A318 »

There we go again......Ryanair is safe to fly and is doing their maintenance exactly by the book, the only difference is the contract with the company that is doing the maintenance. We are talking here about FLS, a huge Danish company with hangars all over the world, also in Stansted. Ryanair is having a contract which let them pay per flying hour. So they know exactly how much they have to pay monthly on maintenance cost and can never be suprised on expensive parts since this is an all inclusive contract, no suprises!
Then the fuel part, Ryanair fills his planes with the minimum needed fuel plus the extra safety part as mentioned by the FAA rules, again no risks are been taking here but they fly with a lot lighter plane then other companies do and also that saves thousends on euro's a month. I know that 15% of the income is coming from the food and drinks on board of the plane and it is not even so expensive onboard. In the plane minimum FAA required cabin crew, again no risks but also no extra's. B locations, only a max of 30 minutes slots, commercials on the older 200's, commissions on hotels, rent a cars, creditcards, online stores etc etc. Flying only with 737's, no extra training costs for pilots since all pilots have to pay their type license (if they don't have it for a 737) themselves.
All togehter it is a very smart, sharp business model which give them lots of profit, they are not more risky to fly then any other full service carrier maybe even less since they fly on more quit airports. I flew with them 3 times already and next month I will fly them again from CRL to Rome, cheap, fast and on time.
If you don't like them so be it but don't say you don't like them because their safety is not correct because it is just not true. Politics my dear friends are always used to kill the concurrent!
If you want a inside look into more details about their maintenance structure go here http://www.ryanair.com/download/davyfeb28.pdf

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

JetB

Post by JetB »

Thanks a lot mister O'leary for the insight :?
But anyway how much does your copmany make without subsidies ?
And cheap drinks onboard :roll: 2.50 for a mini cola and that is less than half of a 33 cl can ......

A318

Post by A318 »

BobClaes wrote:Thanks a lot mister O'leary for the insight :?
But anyway how much does your copmany make without subsidies ?
And cheap drinks onboard :roll: 2.50 for a mini cola and that is less than half of a 33 cl can ......
I think it is not that bad as you want to believe us. When you fly for 30 or 50 euro a 2,50 drink is not too bad imho.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

JetB

Post by JetB »

Thanks for the information on Ryanair's maintenace.

But !!!!!

Justifing the price of drinks and snack's because you booked a cheap flight !

Excuses are like assholes, everybody has one.

So you could justify the lack of costumer service because the cheap ticket price.
You can justify basicly anything because of the cheap ticket price.

Ryanair is a sorry loser, without there subsidies they dont stay because there is no profit anymore.

Nobody can answer how much Ryanair makes without these subsidies.....?

Nobody knows the impact on other airlines and job losses because of Ryanair.

Be fair, play fair and dont be a backstaber......

Ryanair likes to say they are a copy of Southwest in the US ? But Americans would not exept the disrespect this company has for its customers and workers.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BobClaes wrote:Ryanair is a sorry loser, without there subsidies they dont stay because there is no profit anymore.

Bob, you are funny: you criticise Ryanair, but you contribute to keeping them in the air by flying with them.

Like A318, I agree they have a smart business model. They were able to attract subsidies, which is also a smart that oters could copy, first of all Virgin Express which could do better than to put a 'stop subsidies' logo on their planes. Even competitor easyJet just cautioned the European Commission against sanctioning Ryanair for receiving subsidies.

As for the impact on other airlines, I estimate that most Ryanair passengers would not have travelled on another airline anyway: they were only attracted by the price.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BlackEyedB747

Post by BlackEyedB747 »

BobClaes wrote:Thanks for the information on Ryanair's maintenace.

But !!!!!

Justifing the price of drinks and snack's because you booked a cheap flight !

Excuses are like assholes, everybody has one.

So you could justify the lack of costumer service because the cheap ticket price.
You can justify basicly anything because of the cheap ticket price.

Ryanair is a sorry loser, without there subsidies they dont stay because there is no profit anymore.

Be fair, play fair and dont be a backstaber......

Ryanair likes to say they are a copy of Southwest in the US ? But Americans would not exept the disrespect this company has for its customers and workers.
ryanair says it will stop flying to Charleroi if the comission's verdict is negative that meens that there guilty to me without subsidies they cant make profit from charleroi

Grtz,

Nico

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BlackEyedB747 wrote:ryanair says it will stop flying to Charleroi if the comission's verdict is negative that meens that there guilty to me without subsidies they cant make profit from charleroi
Don't believe all what O'Leary says. If Ryanair finds a profit flying out of CRL without subsidies, it will continue.

Furthermore, it seems that the verdict of the Commission will be balanced: some subsidies might be outlawed, but others could remain.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

At least Ryanair are flying from Charleroi, it could be worse, they could be infesting Brussels!! Does it really matter if Charleroi becomes the Stansted of Europe? At least FR are keeping out of the proper airports, which they haven't done in the UK so much!! I believe that the cheap tat should be kept seperate from the proper airlines (we have two airprots in the UK which are not spoilt by cheap tat, and they are Heathrow (our premier airport in every respect) and London City (the nicest airport in every respect!!) Long may they stay that way!!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

BlackEyedB747

Post by BlackEyedB747 »

hello,

comet you are totally right
ryanair is going down im not a fortune teller i just know investigation will start all over europe soon so ryanair will get a bad image everywhere they will kill ryanair i hope so cause aviation could really miss them i think

Grtz,

Nico :roll:

A318

Post by A318 »

BlackEyedB747 wrote:hello,

comet you are totally right
ryanair is going down im not a fortune teller i just know investigation will start all over europe soon so ryanair will get a bad image everywhere they will kill ryanair i hope so cause aviation could really miss them i think

Grtz,

Nico :roll:
I think it is time for you to invest a little more time in the history of Southwest in the USA.
Same concept, same history, same huge profit numbers!!!
If you really want to have a insight look into the Low-Cost carriers you better buy No Frills from Simon Calder.
The Truth Behind The Low-Cost Revolution In The Skies.
ISBN 1 85227 932 X

I have bought that book on E-bay in the UK and after reading this book you will understand how smart and sharp is this business concept.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

BlackEyedB747

Post by BlackEyedB747 »

yes,

butt southwest is in de states in Europe Things go a bit different
maybe ill look for the book thnx erwin :wink:

Grtz,

Nico

Avro

Post by Avro »

At least Ryanair are flying from Charleroi, it could be worse, they could be infesting Brussels!! Does it really matter if Charleroi becomes the Stansted of Europe? At least FR are keeping out of the proper airports, which they haven't done in the UK so much!!
Dont be scared Ryanair will never :twisted: start flying from BRU. It just costs too much. That's why they always go to smaller airports.

Ciao
Chris
8)

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

A318 wrote:I think it is time for you to invest a little more time in the history of Southwest in the USA.
If you really want to have a insight look into the Low-Cost carriers you better buy No Frills from Simon Calder.
The Truth Behind The Low-Cost Revolution In The Skies.
ISBN 1 85227 932 X

I have bought that book on E-bay in the UK and after reading this book you will understand how smart and sharp is this business concept.

Greetz,

Erwin
Hi,

I have got the same book @ home... and it is really interesting. I was about to quote passages from this book as useful information instead of commonplace ideas.

A good Belgian book-shop: Waterstones' in Brussels or Audivox (Bru - Antwerpen and Liege) can order it for you.
I bought mine in Cambridge: public price: £9.99

:!: There are -at least- 2 editions: the latest one is the 2003... with the 'Fully Updated' label on the front cover
The 2003's ISBN is 0-7535-0770-6.
Btw, it is published by 'Virgin Books' :wink:
http://www.virginbooks.com/go/Books_64209.html

May this help you a bit further :wink:

BeN :idea:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Another thing: Ryanair excludes a whole part of passengers to fly with them:

- wheelchair-passengers have to pay the extra expenses they make during boarding/de-boarding: Read this article

Ryanair charges the poor passenger while full service airliners (FSA) don't.

- how about unaccompanied minors? how about older ladies who have difficulties finding their way through the airport? A mother travelling on her own with her 3 2-year olds... For that FSA have special staff to meet and help other people.

I remember another story: a few years ago the flight from Turin to Charleroi was cancelled due to fog, all the passengers had to go home for Christmas, work or whatever. Now in case the flight is cancelled Ryanair puts you on the next Ryanair-flight, in that case the next Ryanair-flight was 2 days later! I can't imagine that a FSA will leave the passengers at the airport for another 2 days, they bring you to a hotel or rebook you on another flight even it's another airline!

I am not against Ryanair but people need to see the disadvantages too!

greetings,

Bart
:banana:

A318

Post by A318 »

luchtzak wrote:Another thing: Ryanair excludes a whole part of passengers to fly with them:

- wheelchair-passengers have to pay the extra expenses they make during boarding/de-boarding: Read this article

Ryanair charges the poor passenger while full service airliners (FSA) don't.

- how about unaccompanied minors? how about older ladies who have difficulties finding their way through the airport? A mother travelling on her own with her 3 2-year olds... For that FSA have special staff to meet and help other people.

I remember another story: a few years ago the flight from Turin to Charleroi was cancelled due to fog, all the passengers had to go home for Christmas, work or whatever. Now in case the flight is cancelled Ryanair puts you on the next Ryanair-flight, in that case the next Ryanair-flight was 2 days later! I can't imagine that a FSA will leave the passengers at the airport for another 2 days, they bring you to a hotel or rebook you on another flight even it's another airline!

I am not against Ryanair but people need to see the disadvantages too!

greetings,

Bart
:banana:
Well Bart, all this is going to change now since all airlines need to refund your ticket money in one case and also arange a hotel for you in case you got stranded somewhere. About all the other cases you mentioned, that's what comes with a low cost airline, you don't like it, don't use it!

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Lien

Post by Lien »

A318 wrote: think it is time for you to invest a little more time in the history of Southwest in the USA.

I agree Erwin

...and don't forget that Southwest started in 1971 ! Not quite yesterday.

Small history:

SouthWest Airlines began in 1967 as Air Southwest as a low-cost services from Love Field in Dallas to points in Texas. The current name was adopted in 1971 but Southwest only really started to grow after the airline deregulation.

In 1985 SouthWest took over Muse Air and that carrier failed shortly afterward despite a name change. The airline made the Boeing 737 it's only type and now has a fleet of maybe 250 Boeing 737 jets.

SouthWest Airlines painted their aircraft in semi-liveries advertising the places they fly to although the basic livery remained underneath the individual schemes.

DESTINATIONS: Dense network within the USA.

FLEET: Boeing 737-200, 737-300, 737-500. Boeing 737-700 on order.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I can't believe how some people react to something that is"low-cost"

How come everybody just assumes that "low-cost" is bad? I've flown ryanair many times and I was always satisfied. Now in a couple of weeks I'm going to start my training to work with them as cabind crew. Why is everybody making such a fuzz about cabin crew paying their own training? Pilots are paying their own training for years now. An then we are talking about 75.000 EURO => compared with 2500 EURO for cabin crew training. :?

Another thing: about the prices of the drinks and the snacks on board. The flight attendant receives 10% of everything taht he or she sales on board. That is included in the price. And you can say whatever you want about working conditions at ryanair. They are though and they requier a lot of work but they are the best paying low-cost airline that is around at this moment.

Maybe the airline personel has been a little bit spoiled the last years. I think we are coming to an age to where "you get what you deserve to get!"

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

@ Lien
FLEET: Boeing 737-200, 737-300, 737-500. Boeing 737-700 on order.
Your info for Southwest seems a little old

Southwest was the launch customer for the Boeing 737-700 in 1997. (Southwest was also a launch customer for the Boeing 737-500 and -300 series aircraft).

For information Southwest's fleet consists of the following (as of July 2003)

737-200 26
737-300 194
737-500 25
737-700 136

A little bigger than Ryanair but they have been around a lot longer

Meerkat