Impact security situation Brussels & Belgium on BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Impact security situation Brussels & Belgium on BRU

Post by Inquirer »

According to this article in De Tijd about the effects of the raised terror level, BRU saw a drop of 20% in passenger volume last week.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/horeca/Te ... 1448717768

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Thats quite a lot for short term...
Those had booked already and canceled
So it might even increase on mid term, no ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Acid-drop wrote:Thats quite a lot for short term...
Those had booked already and canceled
So it might even increase on mid term, no ?
Not so sure, last-minute bookings will have decreased and people will have cancelled their trips to Brussels (both for business and leisure) during those days. But now that the immediate threat is said to be gone, most people will no longer cancel their planned trips (especially not those for business). However tourists coming to Brussels might be scared away for a longer time.
I doubt very much it will drop more than 20%, quite the contrary, but BRU and the airlines might continue to feel this for quite some time when talking about foreign tourists.

convair

Post by convair »

Inquirer wrote:According to this article in De Tijd about the effects of the raised terror level, BRU saw a drop of 20% in passenger volume last week.
Compared to what? The week before or last year?

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

If someone is not showing up or cancelling travel themselves, they do not receive any reimbursement, correct (= it is not covered by travel insurance)?

I am not so surprised by the figures for the past two weeks (I started the topic with a reason). I wander however, how it has impacted: 1) cancellation figures up-to the Christmas period and 2) new bookings for the period after that ... Anyone more information on this?

Myself, I will not cancel any booking (I am currently waiting my flight from BKK-SYD), still have to go to Milan MXP (in two weeks) and one week off to Malaga with the family. But I think the problem is rather for those visiting Belgium (or not) ...

It will take some time to restore confidence: the way politicians and the press (also the foreign press) have communicated on the events was a real disaster ... It is like we would publish articles in Belgium on the x-th killings in the US (yes, there are many) to explain that it is really unsafe to go to the US, that some places are almost war-zones, etc. ...

Cheers,
Danny

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Forgot to add: I would not be surprised SN would delay its extension plans ... (don't know if that is still possible). Although I hope they will not ...
Danny

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

DannyVDB wrote:If someone is not showing up or cancelling travel themselves, they do not receive any reimbursement, correct (= it is not covered by travel insurance)?
When a passenger cancels, the General Conditions from the airline apply. For most bookings in Economy, passengers indeed loose their money if they cancel or don't show up. There is only a refund if passengers had booked one of the more expensive booking classes (example: Brussels Airlines only refunds Flex tickets and Biz tickets).

For travel insurances, the general rule is that terrorism is not accepted as reason for a refund.

Only people who had booked a trip with a touroperator or a travel agent registered with a Calamity Fund are refunded. But strictly limited to the calamity then. Example: the Dutch Calamiteitenfonds only reimbursed cancellations for travel to Paris and/or Disneyland between 13-16 Nov 2015:
https://www.calamiteitenfonds.nl/nieuws ... rijsmolest
DannyVDB wrote:It will take some time to restore confidence: the way politicians and the press (also the foreign press) have communicated on the events was a real disaster ... It is like we would publish articles in Belgium on the x-th killings in the US (yes, there are many) to explain that it is really unsafe to go to the US, that some places are almost war-zones, etc. ...
Let's not forget that the links between Paris 13 November and Belgium are very obvious. The press reported, correctly, that the terrorist attacks were prepared in Molenbeek/Brussels and that most culprits live/lived in Molenbeek.

Luckily, people forget. It just takes some time.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Passenger wrote:For travel insurances, the general rule is that terrorism is not accepted as reason for a refund.
True, but a changed travel advice can be. Multiple countries are warning their citizens to avoid certain places in Belgium/Brussels. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... lgium.html Not sure if that's enough to invoke a travel insurance, but some terror related travel advice changes certainly are.
Let's not forget that the links between Paris 13 November and Belgium are very obvious. The press reported, correctly, that the terrorist attacks were prepared in Molenbeek/Brussels and that most culprits live/lived in Molenbeek.
Brussels has been named the European jihad capital in numerous respected international news outlets (CNN/NYT a.o.). Poor Belgium :(

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Jetter wrote: ....
Brussels has been named the European jihad capital in numerous respected international news outlets (CNN/....
You mean like in :
ukraine-pakistan-cnn-mistake_si.jpg
or in :
Screen-Shot-2014-08-06-at-9_24_35-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2014-08-06-at-9_24_35-AM.png (189.83 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
or in :
New Hong Kong.png
New Hong Kong.png (341.69 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
No offense mate, but to me CNN is hardly a respected news outlet.

I think it's up to each one of us to counter this negative picture in our international contacts. Not disguising the truth but for sure not accepting being the scapegoat of others either.

With a twist of humour?
An inhabitant of Molenbeek outraged by this generalisation : Terrorists here? No we don't have; thieves yes plenty but no terrorists.

;)

H.A.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Schitterend, HA! Een bank vooruit en een dikke kus van de jufvrouw!

(Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!)

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

If you don't like CNN there's enough choice left:

How about The Economist?

Brussels is not just Europe’s political and military capital—it is also the centre of its terrorist networks.:shock:

jan_olieslagers

Yes of course. Fools will always ape fools.

Homo Aeroportus

Yeah Jetter, I know. It's terrible and we're all gonna die.

I do not say there is no problem in Molenbeek, Vilvoorde or Verviers. What I am after is to stop hurling with the wolfpack. You can't get it darker than black.

What I sometimes try to pass around is something in line with JFK's words :
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

From Wikipedia: "...Ostrich policy is a Dutch expression referring to the tendency to ignore obvious dangers or problems and pretend they don't exist; the expression derives from the supposed habit of ostriches to stick their head in the sand rather than face danger..."

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Yes of course. Fools will always ape fools.
If Brussels being a jihadi hotbed is true or not is irrelevant for the effect on Brussels (and BRU), this is the image that has been painted, and that won't change overnight. True googling 'jihadi hotbed'.

All but 1 top results mentions Brussels as jihadi hotbed, now if this were just the results from the past week or so that wouldn't say much, but these are all time results. Notice how #1 is an Australian site and #2 an Indian site, this image is not limited to Europe. :(

jan_olieslagers

Fools and apes have no frontiers, you are very right there.

Homo Aeroportus

Passenger wrote:From Wikipedia: "...Ostrich policy is a Dutch expression referring to the tendency to ignore obvious dangers or problems and pretend they don't exist; the expression derives from the supposed habit of ostriches to stick their head in the sand rather than face danger..."
From the son of my father :
"Courage consists in appraising the situation, identifying and acknowledging the risks, ... and carrying on nonetheless."

and on the way express empathy to Marie-Chantal so she doesn't feel too scared.

To loop the loop with the BRU element of the topic : whenever at the airport (no flight for me in coming week :( ) enforce the above, wave the flag.
We all have the choice : whining or acting.
Misery loves company so you know where to go if you fear being lonesome.

Geez, showing my age here.

H.A.

b720

Post by b720 »

And 20 years ago the same media claimed that Belgium was the home of pedophiles....
There are by far many more women bashers terrorising their wives and families in our cities than
The odd terrorist... Snap out if it people, and return to aviation...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

"If Belgium is a failed state, the U.S. would be Afghanistan"

29/11/15 - Speaking in the VRT's Sunday's TV show "De Zevende Dag", the former American ambassador to Belgium, Howard Gutman, has discussed the issue about whether or not Belgium could be called "a failed state" as some foreign media are doing. "Belgium is the 14th safest country in the world. If it would be a failed state, then the U.S. would be Afghanistan", Gutman said. Still, it seems Belgium's image abroad has been seriously dented in the aftermath of the Paris terror attacks: "The only failure Belgium has had, is that it let others control the message." (interview Tim Pauwels)

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.engli ... /1.2509777

"It is time to stop bashing Belgium. Much of Europe is in the same boat." (The Economist)

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21 ... -continent)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote:"Belgium is the 14th safest country in the world. If it would be a failed state, then the U.S. would be Afghanistan", Gutman said.
To be honest this statistic would look very different if it included murders by Belgians (Syria, Irak and France) and not just murders in Belgium.

I also saw this interview and watched the former US ambassador say that his friends told 'they'd pray for him' upon him mentioning going to Belgium. That sentiment has a big impact on BRU. Sadly I think it's unlikely BRU will remain the quickest growing airport in Western Europe the coming 1-2 years beeing perceived as 'the terror hotbed' of Europe.