American Airlines Flight Crashes at Jamaica Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sdbelgium

Re: American Airlines Flight Crashes at Jamaica Airport

Post by sdbelgium »

I think it has something to do with the fact only runway 12 has an ILS system...

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

sdbelgium wrote:I think it has something to do with the fact only runway 12 has an ILS system...
The only instrument .... @ KIN is a offset ILS DME (DA 278) RWY12.

Coming the other way around (RWY30) it must a full visual (high MSA due to mountains to the North) or circling approach.

Circling around (ILS RWY12 with visual brake off and visual circuit) under heavy rain @ night isn't the procedure 'most' pilots would choose.

If the tail wind is acceptable (within limits) it's better (more preferable) to fly the full ILS and land.

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

AMR Jet Had to Use Jamaica Runway Lacking Some Approach Lights (Bloomberg)

No lights on ill-fated runway? (Radio Jamaica)
Records show the pilots in command of Flight 331 had been on duty almost 12 hours at the time of the accident. Their contract with American, however, says they can fly up to 14 hours a day.

Source (kens5.com)
Jamaica runway crash puts spotlights on pilot fatigue (The Seattle Times)
Note: American Airlines Flight 1420, Little Rock, Arkansas, NTSB Aircraft Accident Report H E R E (230 pages [PDF 3.2MB])

[Topic Off]

HUMAN FACTORS:
NASA study of 19 recent accidents yields a new perspective on pilot error, Pressing the Approach (6 pages. [PDF 297K])

[Topic On]

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

A passenger speaks about his experience of the crash.

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

As expected.
Jamaican Officials Probe AA331 Touchdown Point

An American Airlines plane that careened off the end of a runway, crashing and breaking into three pieces, landed approximately 4,000 feet down an 8,900 foot runway, investigators in Jamaica said Monday. They are now trying to determine why the pilots flew over nearly half of the runway before first setting the wheels down, leaving significantly less distance to bring the jet to a stop.

Full article (NBC DFW)

relizabeth

Post by relizabeth »

What are some good ways to keep otherwise good Americans from watching FOX News? Whenever I stay at a hotel, I reprogram the TV and ban the station that FOX News is on.