VLM From London City to Antwerp (and return)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
MD-11

Technical data F50

Post by MD-11 »

Looking through some (old ) documents I found this technical info that will certainly interest Comet...
Its from VLMs website
F50 facts
------------

Average cruisespeed: 480kph

Max. cruisespeed: +/- 540kph

Take-off speed ( Vr ): +/- 180kph ( during "flight over Flanders" we rotated at 100 knots )

Max. altitude: 25000 feet

Max. Take-Off Weight: 20820 kg

Fuel capacity: 3870 kg ( Jet -A1 )

Range : 1837 nautical miles with 2 tons
494 nautical mile swith 5 tons

Engines: 2P/W 125B turboprops

Max. take-off power: 2500 SHP

Wingspan: 29 meters

Lenght: 25.25meters

Hight: 8.32meters
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the info MD-11, I was never sure of the F50s cruising speed in mph, so many books quote knots or km per hour.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Comet

Post by Comet »

Brilliant photo - one of the most fun approaches anywhere. Probably taken just before the aircraft started that nose dive over the River Thames, that is the same view that we had on our approach in September. The year before we had approached from the other side, which is more turning that steep diving.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Indeed it's a very nice picture :!:

TWA

Post by TWA »

I can only agree with everything what is said about VLM.
I tried them for the first time in APR 2003 from BRU to LCY.
The thing is that I flew with more then 30 different airlinecompanies on 28 different a/c types and believe it or not , but this VLM F50 trip was one of my greatest airline experiences ever!!!!
Adorable cabin crew, great service and ... an amazing large seat pitch.
I was on 3 ??? rightwindow. This must be the largest y-seat pitch in Europe. The flight was performed by OO-VLS I think and to be honest, I preferred these seats above the leather ones.

I just had a few questions for you Comet:

Is it possible that this A/C (-VLS) flew with Air Nostrum before?
Their cabin interior looks exactly the same.

Can you give me the best seat on an F50, when you know that I like lots of noise and vibration? The 3rd row was already very noisy, but are there anywhere else on the plane more exiting seats?

TWA
(the 2nd biggest VLM fan after Comet)

Comet

Post by Comet »

TWA wrote:I just had a few questions for you Comet:

Is it possible that this A/C (-VLS) flew with Air Nostrum before?
Their cabin interior looks exactly the same.

Can you give me the best seat on an F50, when you know that I like lots of noise and vibration? The 3rd row was already very noisy, but are there anywhere else on the plane more exiting seats?
I will try my best to answer your questions TWA.

It is possible that OO-VLS served with Air Nostrum, as the sister aircraft OO-VLQ (also without leather seats) flew for this airline.

My favourite seat so far on the VLM Fokker 50 has to be 4A, which I had (on 'VLS) on my return flight from Antwerp. In this seat I had a good view of the propeller and also a superb view of the landing gear being raised and lowered. I think as you get further back it is less fun!! I have had seats also in row 7, row 9 and row 12, but 4 was my favourite!

I am glad you liked flying with VLM, I found them very friendly, efficient and professional (and the in flight snack was pleasant). I also absolutely adore the approach into London City. Everyone should experience it at least once!!
Louise

TWA

Post by TWA »

Thank you very much for this info, Comet :thumbsup:
I will definitely keep you informed about my next 4A experience, which I hope will be very soon (somewhere early December). :rock:

TWA

Comet

Post by Comet »

That's OK TWA - I look forward to reading more posts about VLM experiences, we have had very few (three I think) so far.

Enjoy your flying!!
Louise