Schapelle Corby Case

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Birko

Schapelle Corby Case

Post by Birko »

I have not being following these forums, so please let me know if I am treading a well worn path. I did a search on the above name throughout this site, but with no hits.

Anyway, the Australian media is currently following the case of this Brisbane woman - who flew into Denpasur, Bali, Indonesia - with a large amount of marijuana in her "boogie board" ( a surfing toy ). She faces death by firing squad.

Her defense is that she is an innocent tourist who has had her luggage compromised in transit.

Her journey was Brisbane>Sydney>Denpasar.

In Australia at the moment, domestic airport security is under question. The case of the "Camel Head" is in the forefront. An Australian marketing person was flying from Darwin to Melbourne, via Sydney, and saw his secured luggage - a "Camel Head " costume being worn by a baggage handler on the tarmac in Sydney. Security is definately compromised.

This is an interesting situation for all involved in aviation - governments, airlines and travellers.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The camel head story has already been reported twice in the forum:
https://www.aviation24.be/posts10203-highlightcamel.html
https://www.aviation24.be/posts10160-highlightcamel.html
and also in the news:
https://www.aviation24.be/article8277.html

But we did not know about the drug story. Thanks for the info.
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

A long time ago , in the Dark Ages of pop music, there was a group called "Jefferson Airplane"
One of their songs was "Never argue with a German when you are tired"
You can change "German" into "Aussie"
I defend this remark because the group was called Airplane. Later it changed its name into Starship.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Lo, and the world was worried that only baggage in India is misplaced or :wink:
Aum Sweet Aum.

SN30952

Re: Schapelle Corby Case

Post by SN30952 »

Birko wrote:Her defense is that she is an innocent tourist who has had her luggage compromised in transit.

Poor defense, indeed.
A large amount of marijuana in a board?
But the police checks also the urine and blood of such traffickers. That is what would consist a proof. A yes the tariff is death sentence, very heavy for users, but for traffickers it is the risk they take.
Of course these blowers do not see the risk they take...

There is only one advise for traffickers: Don't, don't!!!

For passengers who see their luggage is fiddled with, this advise:
Do not touch it yourself, take pictures, eventually movies - in many airports you have hotspots - mail them asap, copy your own account. Picture as many people as possible that come in contact or near that luggage, including officials*, as police and custom officers.
And eventually leave the luggage behind, it might be cheaper to buy a new pyjamas then get involved.

*In such countries these officials make out a huge proportion of the criminals in all kind of traffics, murders and other organised crime.

chunk

Post by chunk »

I think that the sentence is harsh but don;t swallow that story! Luggage compromised? Death sentence for transporting some weed? Hells bells thats a bit much .... then would a surf board full of hash not kinda weigh considerbaly more than normal? I guess its possible though unlikely......

Then again - whenever I go to Malaysia or Singapore I always get nervous around the luggage pick up point for that very reason....what if someone has dicked about with ma bags? Wierd isn;t it?

regi

Post by regi »

I dislike surfers who insist to take their board with them on flights. Last February again in Johannesburg. I witnessed that one of those surf boys actually stuffed the board bag full of extra luggage, just to avoid to pay for extra weight. But in fact, I am paying for that.

With some airlines , surfers get exemption to take along their boards, as with golf players, contrabas/guitar players and other hobbies.

I really wonder what the benefit is for an airline to allow those community unfriendly guys (most of them refuse to take on a normal job and consider surfing the only reason of existence on earth) on board and even give them extra privileges.
If you want to take your board along, well , pay for it.

I also don't understand the arrogance of airlines to allow a golfer to take along a 50 kg bag full of steel without paying extra. And the next passenger who checks in with just some extra kilograms of souvenirs, has to pay a fee. Some asian carriers, for who golfing is a new religion, are suffering of this customer unfriendly disease.

What illegal substances concerns in luggage, I would say: follow the southafrican path. Over there, they use lie detecting machines in court and in private to settle all kind of disputes. Your car is stolen? Well, first pass the lie detection machine of the insurance company before anything is settled.
You have nothing to do with that pot in your surfboard? Well, first on the cables, girl. Doesn't hurt, isn't humiliating, isn't harmful, just do it.
So what isthe fuzz?
Lawyers don't like the lie detectors. It takes away a lot of their business.

Stij

Post by Stij »

OK, maybe going a little bit of topic...

Regi,

as a fanatic golfer I can tell you my golfbag weights EXACTLY 15kg as I have to carry it on my back on the course. (OK, some golfer's bags weight 20kg and are carried around on a trolley)

My experience however is quiet on the contrary: when I fly to Malaga for a weekend to play golf I have to pay Virgin Express 30€ extra for each flight. Even if my luggage is just 15kg in total. (yes, this was the case last summer as the rest of my luggage was handluggage in a trolley).

Iberia is much better on this matter. Golf bags are carried for free as long as they are part of the 20kg allowance. So guess who I'm flying with this summer.

Cheers,

Stij

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:just to avoid to pay for extra weight. But in fact, I am paying for that.

Talking about baggage allowance: that is the number of kilos baggage you may check in for your flight.

One time you check in 15 kilos when you were allowed 20, and the next time they would charge you 5 extra kilos because you have 'overweight'. More over, you weigh a fat 65 kilos, and the bulky guy behind you, checking in on the same flight, weighs an unhealthy and indecent 112kilos, and you have to pay.... Come on, where is that logic?

regi

Post by regi »

Okay, I understand your view. But some local asian carriers allow passengers to have a golfbag BESIDEs the normal luggage, goin over the normal 15 or 20 kg allowance.
Anyway, I do like to share ideas about having to pay for every kg. Meaning big guys pay more than slim girls. Sounds reasonable.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:Anyway, I do like to share ideas about having to pay for every kg. Meaning big guys pay more than slim girls. Sounds reasonable.

Like the girl @ AirAsia's check-in said to me: Put your piece on the scales, Sir...
Embarrassing isn't it in an airport?

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

Since we are talking golfbags, surfboards, contrabas and fat guys over marijuana, perhaps someone could be interrested to know that AF discount the 2nd seat (25 to 33% pay off).
Air France propose des réductions tarifaires sur un siège supplémentaire (french)
Basically, if you are fat, if you have a broken leg, if you have a contrabas or anything else you don't want to put into the cargo hold, or if you just want more space, these fares are available for everybody*.

*no punishment discount for marijuana holder :wink:

Regards

Seb.

regi

Post by regi »

Nice point SN: what did you do?