Blue Skies forever

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Blue Skies forever

Post by Passenger »

RIP Staf De Lie (88 years old), journalist and promotor of Antwerp Airport. Staf De Lie is one of the five people in ANR's Hall of Fame, together with Danny Cabooter, Christian Heinzmann, Freddy Michiels and Freddy Van Gaever.
https://www.polderke.com/staf-de-lie-pr ... vengebouw/

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

RIP Wim Desmet, founder of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium with two A320’s.

"Afscheid van Wim Desmet, de man die de Limburger leerde reizen"

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Eric Moody passed away this week.
Eric Moody.jpg
Eric Moody.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 797 times

He was the Captain of Speedbird 9 that faced a small issue in June 1982 when flying at night through volcano ashes at 37000ft over Indonesia, leading to a total flame out of their B747.

He is famous for his announcement to his passengers :
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are all doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

They managed to restart all engines during their return to Jakarta Halim, though N°2 had to be switched off again. The windshield having been sandblasted by flying though volcano ashes, combined by the ILS GS being u/s, made the landing a bit out of usual.
On top of other more formal awards, the flight crew got their glider pilot licence for having flown a B747 without power for 14 minutes.
The aircraft was brought back into service under the nickname “The Flying Ashtray”.

A passenger managed to collect individual memories and published a book. I wish I remembered who I lent it to.
http://www.ericmoody.com/

Blue Skies forever Captain.

H.A.