Brussels Airlines in 2024

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

JOVAN2

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2024

Post by JOVAN2 »

All nice explanations from LH fans.
In the meantime their reputation is suffering a lot from all the strikes. OS,LH, SN.

Social climate is rotten and talk is they will change name to StrikeHansa..

Even with my lifetime Senstor Card i avoid them..

brabel

Post by brabel »

JOVAN2 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 21:11 Even with my lifetime Senstor Card i avoid them..
U can give it to me 🙋

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Not 100% related to 2024, but Spohr revealed some very interesting insight into SN's future :

LUFTHANSA IS PLANNING A NEW MAJOR PROJECT WITH UNITED

Lufthansa is involving Brussels Airlines in a new cooperation with United Airlines: Teams in Frankfurt, Chicago and Brussels are working on joint connecting connections from the USA to Africa. Lufthansa boss Carsten Spohr is promising investors a "major project" at the company’s Brussels hub. Lufthansa wants to develop Brussels into a hub for African connections to and from the United States. According to CEO Carsten Spohr, Lufthansa is seeking an agreement with United Airlines for joint "Africa flights via Brussels". "This is a major project with United that we expect a lot from" said Spohr in Frankfurt last week. Lufthansa also wants to push the reconstruction of the short-haul network at Brussels Airlines. Spohr announced that the group had "overshot the target" when it came to reducing capacity in Brussels and would increase feeder traffic for the profitable African lines again.

True Global Hub

Brussels Airlines does not want to comment on the project in detail. "It is no secret that we are pursuing ambitious growth plans for our long-haul network" said a spokesman. The Belgian Lufthansa subsidiary refers to existing alliances with United and Air Canada in North Atlantic traffic. These "transatlantic capacities" have the potential to "make Brussels a true global hub for passengers traveling to and from Africa" said the spokesman. Brussels Airlines will soon have ten Airbus A330s available again for the intercontinental network. The airline wants to utilize its long-haul fleet more with African routes than before the crisis and is heading to 18 destinations on the continent.

Source : aero.de

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 17:21 Not 100% related to 2024, but Spohr revealed some very interesting insight into SN's future :

Lufthansa is involving Brussels Airlines in a new cooperation with United Airlines: Teams in Frankfurt, Chicago and Brussels are working on joint connecting connections from the USA to Africa. Lufthansa boss Carsten Spohr is promising investors a "major project" at the company’s Brussels hub. Lufthansa wants to develop Brussels into a hub for African connections to and from the United States. According to CEO Carsten Spohr, Lufthansa is seeking an agreement with United Airlines for joint "Africa flights via Brussels". "This is a major project with United that we expect a lot from" said Spohr in Frankfurt last week. Lufthansa also wants to push the reconstruction of the short-haul network at Brussels Airlines. Spohr announced that the group had "overshot the target" when it came to reducing capacity in Brussels and would increase feeder traffic for the profitable African lines again.

True Global Hub

Brussels Airlines does not want to comment on the project in detail. "It is no secret that we are pursuing ambitious growth plans for our long-haul network" said a spokesman. The Belgian Lufthansa subsidiary refers to existing alliances with United and Air Canada in North Atlantic traffic. These "transatlantic capacities" have the potential to "make Brussels a true global hub for passengers traveling to and from Africa" said the spokesman. Brussels Airlines will soon have ten Airbus A330s available again for the intercontinental network. The airline wants to utilize its long-haul fleet more with African routes than before the crisis and is heading to 18 destinations on the continent.

Great to read! Thanks for sharing, Miqvell.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

No surprised, depsite some people there think ((it's their opinion, i accept that) that SN shoud be a KLM with a huge network in Asia or North America (quick growth for a quick downfall), while Aer Lingus (North America) or Finnair (Asia, USA) are doing great job on their niche markets. It's not the end of the world for them if Finnair doesn't serve, Nairobi, Cairo, Johannesburg, Rio, Sao Paulo, Lagos or Aer Lingus doens't serve Tokyo, Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Mumbai or Shanghai.

SN has probably the best potential in the groupe to get a huge network in Africa (with connecting and a decent point to point demand on some routes to Africa). Swiss Airlines is not Swissair. Lufthansa / Dissover will probably focus on some specific markets in East Africa or Southern Africa, Austrian will focus on some leisure markets.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

Discover would rather focus on leisure destinations - Namibia, Kenia, Zanzibar.
LH is doing well cathcing the more developed destinations in South Africa, where all the other legacies are flying as well.
But for niche destinations there is a need for critical mass to increase frequencies, so capturing TATL Pax makes sense.

Questions is- what would this mean for the projected fleet?

nathan_06

Post by nathan_06 »

oldblueeyes wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 20:14 Discover would rather focus on leisure destinations - Namibia, Kenia, Zanzibar.
LH is doing well cathcing the more developed destinations in South Africa, where all the other legacies are flying as well.
But for niche destinations there is a need for critical mass to increase frequencies, so capturing TATL Pax makes sense.

Questions is- what would this mean for the projected fleet?
I think they wil get more than 1 long haul plane a year and more a320neo because they still have a huge a320neo order of 32 planes

nathan_06

Post by nathan_06 »

Maybe a change that Lufthanse wil order more a220 for SN for the short haul instead of leasing cityjet

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

For the time being SN is planning with a one size fleet.
Simplicity is key so they won't end up in a mess of having few planes of each size at each hub.
The trend is also that smaller regional jets would be rather outsoruced, like in the US.
320NEO's there are 46 in the pipeline, plus 40 options.
But.. SN is competing on the allocation with Eurowings,as they share the LEAP engines. And SN would need to be able to afford brand new planes out of the factory.

There may be a better economics to use for few years longer the 319 in the fleet or to get some more from LH.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 17:21 Not 100% related to 2024, but Spohr revealed some very interesting insight into SN's future :

True Global Hub

Thanks for sharing and this match with my post on the 5th Feb where I informed about the negotiations with UA to open the routes from Houston and Boston to BRU

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Boston is not United Airlines hub, they don't operate long haul flights. They serve only 7 dest from BOS. I don't understand the choice to start flights from BRU

United Airlines Chicago–O'Hare, Denver, Houston–Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington–Dulles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Int ... al_Airport

I could understand if BOS was a focus city like American Airlines is doing with over 20 destinations in North America. and a long haul service to London (they closed their seasonal route to CDG few years before covid).
Last edited by rwandan-flyer on 14 Mar 2024, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:44 Boston is not United Airlines hub, they don't operate long haul flights. They serve only 7 dest from BOS. I don't understand the choice to start flights from BRU

United Airlines Chicago–O'Hare, Denver, Houston–Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington–Dulles

United flew BOS-LHR between April 2022 and May 2023 with a 767. It didn't work for an obvious reason: LHR is a OneWorld hub.
BOS is on top of BRU's priorities and I can only see UA on it due to the recent rumors with SN.

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Atlantis wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:27
Thanks for sharing and this match with my post on the 5th Feb where I informed about the negotiations with UA to open the routes from Houston and Boston to BRU
Indeed but one can dream there'll be even more in the future with this recent development (SFO/DEN/LAX).

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:49
rwandan-flyer wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:44 Boston is not United Airlines hub, they don't operate long haul flights. They serve only 7 dest from BOS. I don't understand the choice to start flights from BRU

United flew BOS-LHR between April 2022 and May 2023 with a 767. It didn't work for an obvious reason: LHR is a OneWorld hub.
BOS is on top of BRU's priorities and I can only see UA on it due to the recent rumors with SN.
The only case where you can see this is when an airport is a focus city for an airline : Cincinati for Delta Airlines feeding DL flights to CDG, Austin for Delta feeding KLM flights, Raleigh with Delta / Air France and American. You can have 1 or 2 long haul routes to a main hub in Europe (CDG for Skyteam and LHR for Oneworld). But on focus you have over 20 destinations

But a case like for BOS BRU operated by an US Airlines** (BOS is not a hub or focus city for UA with 7 destinations) it will be probably a first.

**Not the same thing if it's SN which operates the route.

Houston won't be a suprise if they add flights from Bru.

Expansion doesn't mean always new routes, but also more capacity. on current routes. They could add more flights from Brussels to New York, Washington and Chicago in the future, during the peak period.

At CDG, Delta operates 2 departures to ATL before 12h. You can have the same thing with Chicago. A flight leaves Bru at 9h a.m and another at 12h. And from ORD, you have an arrival at BRU at 06h a.m and another one at 09h a.m, perfect to catch connecting with African flights (and more choice for customers to select one of 2 UA flights)

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

Spohr is very late to discover potential BRU/SN.
By now AF/KLM is the absolute master for Africa. They cover almost every country in Africa daily or double daily.
Eg KLM carries more PAX to Kigali.than SN.
Same Accra.
To fill planes to English speaking West Af. Countries, you need connections to UK.
Soon SN will be left with 2 (two) destinations only in UK. Versus almost 20 for KLM.

You are late Mr.CS. maybe too late.
For too little.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:55
Indeed but one can dream there'll be even more in the future with this recent development (SFO/DEN/LAX).
And let's not forget AC. Maybe still fresh, and maybe too fast to tell it as also there negotiations started, but Vancouver and Quebec are in the picture.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Also here I refer to my post even earlier, on 11th January in the topic BRU Winter 2024-2025 that in the first semester of 2025 HRH princess Astrid will have a trade mission to LAX and SFO

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Atlantis wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:06

And let's not forget AC. Maybe still fresh, and maybe too fast to tell it as also there negotiations started, but Vancouver and Quebec are in the picture.
You mean Vancouver and Quebec are in discussion ?
Or, if you mean possibilities, you can also add Calgary, Halifax and Ottawa.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:10

They are in discussion

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Atlantis wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:18
Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:10

They are in discussion
Wow, Quebec was really unexpected. Some competition for Air France and a good choice for Belgium.