Brussels Airlines in 2023

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

PopUp

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2023

Post by PopUp »

You are probably right to a large extent. However if SN is not really worth investing in, why not put it up for sale ? A simple naïve answer could be that the SN losses which LH has to pay for, are largely compensated by the feeder flights to FRA and MUC
which make it possible for LH to bring pax from Brussels and catchment area to its long haul operations. In other words, SN losses are not losses for LH since LH can occupy the terrain and entice pax to fly mainly with LH also through its (awful imho) loyalty program. Fwiw...

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

A Brussels Airlines A320 (SN3290), on its way from BRU to TLV on Friday morning was hit by a lightning strike. This is confirmed by a spokesperson. The aircraft (OO-TCH) had to turn around and land again in BRU. The aircraft sustained minor damage, but no injuries were reported.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20230825_96376234

Boeing767copilot

On saturday morning 26/8 a Brussels Airlines A320 (SN3255), on its way from BRU aborted his landing at HER and did a holding before a second landing attempt.
Since 11:13 the aircraft (OO-SNC) is grounded at the airport. Reason unkwown.

IMG_0160.jpeg

fcw

Post by fcw »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 25 Aug 2023, 21:29 A Brussels Airlines A320 (SN3290), on its way from BRU to TLV on Friday morning was hit by a lightning strike. This is confirmed by a spokesperson. The aircraft (OO-TCH) had to turn around and land again in BRU. The aircraft sustained minor damage, but no injuries were reported.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20230825_96376234
The spokesperson clearly loves drama!
A lightning strike is far from exceptional, I would say, on average, every aircraft gets struck once a year.The damage, if any, is almost always minor. The return to base is not due to technical problems, but just to avoid the aircraft being blocked at an outstation awaiting a lightning strike inspection. A flight inbound to home base would, most probably, have continued the trip.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Happened to me a few years ago on an AF flight from NCE to CDG. Nothing to worry about, said the captain. Of course, the aircraft was flying to its base and its was a flight of just over an hour only. So, I gladly confirm what you wrote, also about the drama queen...

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

PopUp wrote: 24 Aug 2023, 22:21 You are probably right to a large extent. However if SN is not really worth investing in, why not put it up for sale ? A simple naïve answer could be that the SN losses which LH has to pay for, are largely compensated by the feeder flights to FRA and MUC
which make it possible for LH to bring pax from Brussels and catchment area to its long haul operations. In other words, SN losses are not losses for LH since LH can occupy the terrain and entice pax to fly mainly with LH also through its (awful imho) loyalty program. Fwiw...
I haven't said that SN is not worth investing, i said that if it comes to allocation of investments, the overall situation won't position SN as a frontrunner.

My personal view is that SN would have its right positioning as a sort of value for money brand as Aer Lingus is in the IAG below the BA and Iberia brands , but due to the high emotional impact to communicate this directly and based on the bad execution of the Eurowings integration project from the past this won't be communicated in a straight way.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

In continuation of the posts on "Anomalies" viewtopic.php?t=77092&start=40

According to Flightstats.com, SN515 to IAD of today had already been cancelled on 29AUG. Was to be operated by OO-SFG and she is now put on DLA today.

Cancellation of SN205 to DSS today came after a number of solutions were considered .....
SN Ops Challenges BRU DSS 31AUG23.png
Last candidate OO-SFE is still in Yaounde.

Congrats to the Ops and Mx departments to try to make do with what they have.
Too bad there is not a single idle WB within the LH Group that can be used to support SN on the key AFI market.

H.A.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Slowly but surely SN will be an AOG, Airline On the Ground. History repeats itself...

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

The situation is more complicated than that. Brussels Airlines is facing significant difficulties with the accommodation of its crews in Kinshasa (and not just there, by the way), and this has worsened in recent months. The city-airport transfers sometimes take up to 4 hours on the dangerous road and under very precarious security conditions. This issue is starting to affect the mood of the crews, who are becoming increasingly nervous and unwilling to accept this situation any longer. The amateur management of SN is maintaining this status quo for cost-saving reasons that are foolish and illogical.All but professional also.

TK, ET, AF... no longer accommodate their crews in Kinshasa but in Brazzaville instead (with small private planes to commute), and they have been doing so for several months due to practical and security reasons (years as far as AF is concerned). What happened yesterday was bound and meant to happen: when the decision was made to take extra fuel at LFW, the FIH-BRU crew was already on the road from the hotel to the airport ! The crew rightly considered that their duty had already begun. Consequently, de facto, they were already off-duty to perform the return flight. Thus, the FIH-BRU flight was canceled, necessitating the re-accommodation of all non-local passengers, and so on. This incurred significant costs yesterday.

Furthermore, it would have been wise and intelligent to take extra fuel before departing from BRU, considering that the Gabon coup took place on the night from Tuesday to Wednesday. But for that, one needs to look at and listen to sources other than VTM when trying to stay informed about the geopolitical situation in French-speaking Africa... You think they'll have learnt from this story..? You're much too optimistic :roll: . ("The once Kings of Africa"). Next episode will soon be released ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What an incredible situation. That raises two questions on my side:
  • Why be part of a large group like Lufthansa if the Group is unable to help in case of difficulties?
  • Every important airport (I did not say "large") has a hotel close to the airport. Not in Kinshasa?
On AF: they serve Brazzaville as well as Kinshasa. That makes it easier to have their crews commute to their Brazza base for overnighting.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

For several weeks there have been rumors that Lufthansa has major expansion plans with Brussels Airlines for the coming years.
According to rumors, there would eventually be a fleet of 15 A330s and up to 45 A320s.
And again: I know, it's just rumours, so nothing is decided yet.
Who knows more?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

sn26567 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 17:17 On AF: they serve Brazzaville as well as Kinshasa. That makes it easier to have their crews commute to their Brazza base for overnighting.
When they are election in RDC, we often commute to Brazzaville with a private jet to avoid to stay in an unsafe area. So even in Brazzaville is not one of our destination, we could sleep there.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

sn26567 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 17:17 What an incredible situation. That raises two questions on my side:
  • Why be part of a large group like Lufthansa if the Group is unable to help in case of difficulties?
  • Every important airport (I did not say "large") has a hotel close to the airport. Not in Kinshasa?
On AF: they serve Brazzaville as well as Kinshasa. That makes it easier to have their crews commute to their Brazza base for overnighting.
I full agree with both your points.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 11:29 In continuation of the posts on "Anomalies" viewtopic.php?t=77092&start=40

According to Flightstats.com, SN515 to IAD of today had already been cancelled on 29AUG. Was to be operated by OO-SFG and she is now put on DLA today.

Cancellation of SN205 to DSS today came after a number of solutions were considered .....

Too bad there is not a single idle WB within the LH Group that can be used to support SN on the key AFI market.

H.A.
I do not want to be agressive, but very sceptical about what you wrote after the screenshot.

Imho, at least, no congrats to the Opx and Mx departments led by German COO, TR. I stand to be corrected, but given the number of real technical problems encountered by "his" aircraft, I doubt he is doing a good job "with what he has got". If what he has got, is not adequate, isn't it his job to ask CS and Co. for adequate/sufficient means bzw help to face adverse situations ? Unless he has been instructed to do "operate" otherwise...
Swiss management was going to solve the problems of a defunct airline. But that was more than twenty years ago. People tend to forget. Or perhaps most members on this forum are too young to know what happened. Curious to read your reactions...

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Darjeeling wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 16:29 The situation is more complicated than that. Brussels Airlines is facing significant difficulties with the accommodation of its crews in Kinshasa (and not just there, by the way), and this has worsened in recent months. The city-airport transfers sometimes take up to 4 hours on the dangerous road and under very precarious security conditions. This issue is starting to affect the mood of the crews, who are becoming increasingly nervous and unwilling to accept this situation any longer. The amateur management of SN is maintaining this status quo for cost-saving reasons that are foolish and illogical.All but professional also.

TK, ET, AF... no longer accommodate their crews in Kinshasa but in Brazzaville instead (with small private planes to commute), and they have been doing so for several months due to practical and security reasons (years as far as AF is concerned). What happened yesterday was bound and meant to happen: when the decision was made to take extra fuel at LFW, the FIH-BRU crew was already on the road from the hotel to the airport ! The crew rightly considered that their duty had already begun. Consequently, de facto, they were already off-duty to perform the return flight. Thus, the FIH-BRU flight was canceled, necessitating the re-accommodation of all non-local passengers, and so on. This incurred significant costs yesterday.

Furthermore, it would have been wise and intelligent to take extra fuel before departing from BRU, considering that the Gabon coup took place on the night from Tuesday to Wednesday. But for that, one needs to look at and listen to sources other than VTM when trying to stay informed about the geopolitical situation in French-speaking Africa... You think they'll have learnt from this story..? You're much too optimistic :roll: . ("The once Kings of Africa"). Next episode will soon be released ;)
Forgive me if I disagree with your first sentence.
The situation is not more complicated than that (imho).
It is a question of being competent to do the job.
I worked with Africa in the past for twenty years.
These young German girls and guys have no idea what Africa is. The Sabena know-how has completely gone. If LH would like SN to fly to Lagos, it is a poisonous "gift". LOS is one of the most corrupt and dangerous city and airport in Africa.
So, let SN fly there ?

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

PopUp wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 22:55
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 11:29 In continuation of the posts on "Anomalies" viewtopic.php?t=77092&start=40

H.A.
I do not want to be agressive, but very sceptical about what you wrote after the screenshot.

Imho, at least, no congrats to the Opx and Mx departments led by German COO, TR. I stand to be corrected, but given the number of real technical problems encountered by "his" aircraft, I doubt he is doing a good job "with what he has got". If what he has got, is not adequate, isn't it his job to ask CS and Co. for adequate/sufficient means bzw help to face adverse situations ? Unless he has been instructed to "operate" otherwise...
Swiss management was going to solve the problems of a defunct airline. But that was more than twenty years ago. People tend to forget. Or perhaps most members on this forum are too young to know what happened. Curious to read your reactions...

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 17:29 For several weeks there have been rumors that Lufthansa has major expansion plans with Brussels Airlines for the coming years.
According to rumors, there would eventually be a fleet of 15 A330s and up to 45 A320s.
Who knows more?
Is the A350 not considered? :cry:

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Boavida wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 23:32
Boeing767copilot wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 17:29 For several weeks there have been rumors that Lufthansa has major expansion plans with Brussels Airlines for the coming years.
Who knows more?
Is the A350 not considered? :cry:
On the long term 787, A350 and A330neo are considered. But on short mid term, as long as there iare A330 available within the group, there is no need to go for another aircraft type. Lufthansa is geting rid of their A330, it I'm pretty sure they will go to SN and EW

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

sn26567 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 17:17 What an incredible situation. That raises two questions on my side:
- When does SN help other airlines in the group?
- How do other airlines from the group could help? Do they not need their own metal for their own disturbances (in high season, on top of that)?
- Isn't rebooking pax on other group airlines some sort of a help?

It's their technical/operational issues, it's up to SN to solve them.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Lux_avi wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 11:28
- When does SN help other airlines in the group?
- How do other airlines from the group could help? Do they not need their own metal for their own disturbances (in high season, on top of that)?
- Isn't rebooking pax on other group airlines some sort of a help?

It's their technical/operational issues, it's up to SN to solve them.
I do remember once flying on a Thomas Cook Germany (now called Condor) aircraft coming from Stuttgart after the scheduled Thomas Cook Belgium A320 went AOG. I also regularly see exchanges of aircraft between TUIfly Belgium and TUIfly Netherlands in case of problems. Why can't such operations take place within the Lufthansa Group?
André
ex Sabena #26567