Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

AIRMARSHAL

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by AIRMARSHAL »

flightlover wrote:And a quite massive building being build next to the fire department located near the military apron.
Isn't that the new DHL terminal?

jake99

Post by jake99 »

AIRMARSHAL wrote:
flightlover wrote:And a quite massive building being build next to the fire department located near the military apron.
Isn't that the new DHL terminal?

No he means another building next to the military apron

Maybee to store the new winter equipment such as

http://www.overaasen.no/airport_equipme ... s/tv_1000/

They ordered them,one was at interairport 2015 Munich,not sure if they already are delivered or not.
I was told that they ordered 5 of them.

Or will this building the new firebrigade?

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

No, the new firestations will be located near CAE Flight Academy (Fire Station East) and near the 'Sabena House (Fire Station West).

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

I was looking around a bit on the internet and was just thinking about A pier West. Wouldn't it be a good idea to include a terminal hotel to really boast the transferfunction of A pier West?

travellover

Post by travellover »

Any news about the likely or unlikely A380 infrastructure development plans in the short term ?
And the costs ? 10 million € ?
EK daily to DXB primarily ?
Cheers

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

travellover wrote:Any news about the likely or unlikely A380 infrastructure development plans in the short term ?
And the costs ? 10 million € ?
EK daily to DXB primarily ?
The construction of the A380 infrastructure is only postponed shortly. More likely in 2017 more news about this.

Also in 2017 more news about the extension of A Pier West as by the end of this year the tender will be closed.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Finally!
Brussels Airport to renovate iconic Sky Hall

Brussels Airport is about to launch a renovation programme for the emblematic Sky Hall, which dates from 1958. In a first stage, the airport is investing around 2.6 million euro in the renovation of the façade.

In 1958, the opening of a big commercial airport was of strategic importance for our country. That enormous investment in a modern airport infrastructure underscores the economic importance of an airport of international allure for both Belgium and Brussels.

The Sky Hall, in fact a transit hall, and the associated terminal buildings were constructed in record time to welcome the visitors to the World Exhibition in Brussels in 1958. The existing infrastructure in Melsbroek could not handle the number of guests expected.

The Sky Hall was designed by the Belgian architects Brunfaut, Bontinck and Moutschen and is considered one of the classic examples of modern Belgian architecture. Between 1958 and 1994, countless Belgians have welcomed or waved off family and friends there.

"As airport operator, we are very proud to return this iconic building to its former glory.The Sky Hall is not only important for the Belgian architectural heritage, it is also a symbol of the importance of commercial aviation in Belgium. Once the renovation of the Sky Hall has been completed, the hall will be given a new purpose. At the moment, this has not yet been decided," explains Arnaud Feist, CEO Brussels Airport Company.

The building will be renovated with full respect for the original design. Brussels Airport will be starting the complex renovation in early 2017. The first stage will concentrate on the glass and steel structure of the façade.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... hall-1958/
About time! When your plane was parked here and you looked outside the window it was as if you arrived in the Soviet Union...

They say the building would be given a 'new purpose'. I wonder: would it be possible to use it for passengers again?

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Hi all, could somebody say where to situate the Sky Hall? I am born in 1996, so I don't have any clue where this is. Is this near the A-pier or more the B-pier?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi Yuqu
That's what you see in the picture under the article.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

It's the building with the white roof (next to the 'American Airlines' label) on this picture:

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Boavida wrote:It's the building with the white roof (next to the 'American Airlines' label) on this picture:

That picture makes it really clear to me, thank you!

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

What will it be used for.

Regarding me, they could renovated it as departure hall for the low cost airlines as it's just between the chech in area and the remote stand, from there the pax can walk to the stand which are near by, it would free up the stand used by Ryanair and Easyjet to build the A pear west

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Old guys like me remember the Sky Hall quite well (and even the Melsbroek installations before it). It was a quite impressive building, inside as well as outside. There was an upper floor, open to the public which could still wave goodbye to departing passengers downstairs! This could not be imagined now.

But when terrorist trouble began, the airport authorities installed a large net to prevent the public from throwing bombs in the passenger areas. Sweet memories!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

crew1990 wrote:What will it be used for.

Regarding me, they could renovated it as departure hall for the low cost airlines as it's just between the chech in area and the remote stand, from there the pax can walk to the stand which are near by, it would free up the stand used by Ryanair and Easyjet to build the A pear west
Would be funny if the low cost airlines would have the most beautiful terminal with tarmac view, while all the others are in the dated, old terminal... :?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Wouldn't this be a perfect Star Alliance (SN) terminal? I'm looking at the building on Goolge Maps (https://www.google.be/maps/place/Brusse ... d4.4855744) and it would be perfectly possible to build an 'air bridge' structure (tarmac side) from this new terminal to the B-pier and connector.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

It should be perfect for non transit flights like Ryanair etc...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

lumumba wrote:It should be perfect for non transit flights like Ryanair etc...
Exactly my thoughts! Costs of renovating the Sky Hall can kept low should this be turned into a LCC-facility. All you need is a bunch of seats to create a waiting area. Add a few bars and shops selling food, drinks & travel accessoires and you're done. Well, you'd need more but these items are essentials I would say.

Having check-in rows within walking distance and about 25 parking spots nearby (former C-pier, Satellite + area between TUI/Jetairport and Satellite), this sounds very attractive to LCC's where short turnaround times are key. Ryanair and easyJet will love this although Eurowings could be happy with this too.

Brussels Airport won't renovate a building just for fun... They probably have something in mind (which might even be agreed upon already now). Sometimes things cannot be communicated yet. Say pier A-West, Star Alliance 'move under one roof'-project, Lufthansa Group-developments ... there's so much happening these times!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

skumfiduse wrote:
lumumba wrote:It should be perfect for non transit flights like Ryanair etc...
Exactly my thoughts! Costs of renovating the Sky Hall can kept low should this be turned into a LCC-facility. All you need is a bunch of seats to create a waiting area. Add a few bars and shops selling food, drinks & travel accessoires and you're done. Well, you'd need more but these items are essentials I would say.

Having check-in rows within walking distance and about 25 parking spots nearby (former C-pier, Satellite + area between TUI/Jetairport and Satellite), this sounds very attractive to LCC's where short turnaround times are key. Ryanair and easyJet will love this although Eurowings could be happy with this too.

Brussels Airport won't renovate a building just for fun... They probably have something in mind (which might even be agreed upon already now). Sometimes things cannot be communicated yet. Say pier A-West, Star Alliance 'move under one roof'-project, Lufthansa Group-developments ... there's so much happening these times!
Or the (part) transition to EW by SN is decided already and to soften the blow they'll get a new terminal for it

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote: Or the (part) transition to EW by SN is decided already and to soften the blow they'll get a new terminal for it
Aha at last, someone guessed correctly, that other people didn't think of this :mrgreen: :lol:

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

RoMax wrote:
sean1982 wrote: Or the (part) transition to EW by SN is decided already and to soften the blow they'll get a new terminal for it
Aha at last, someone guessed correctly, that other people didn't think of this :mrgreen: :lol:
Which is what I referred to in my post, albeit formulated in a softer way: [... Eurowings could be happy with this too ...] and [... Lufthansa Group-developments... ] without going into detail about the SN-LH-EW-story, since being discussed elsewhere.