Ryanair in 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Airbus330lover

Re: Ryanair in 2016

Post by Airbus330lover »

sean1982 wrote:The dice has been cast. I have decided to take a manager's position with BA (much to inquirer's surprise probably seeing he feels im bad with numbers) where I will be partially flying and partially working on the ground. Im flying/working my last 2 months in FR/BRU. I will stay around on the forum but probably much less noticable :)
Congrats

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair, the sole user of Modlin airport in Warsaw, is due to move its Poland's domestic flights from Modlin to the main airport of the Polish capital, Chopin Airport: 3x daily to Wroclaw and Gdansk.

Wizz Air decided already long time ago to move all its flights from Modlin to Chopin, responding to customer preferences.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Ryanair will however start 8 new routes from Warsaw Modlin and increase capacity on 2 others:

New routes: Belfast (2pw), Birmingham (3pw), Edinburgh (3pw), Leeds Bradford (2pw), Newcastle (2pw), Porto (2pw), Toulouse (2pw), Valencia (2pw).

Increased frequencies: Bristol (from 3 to 4pw), Milan Bergamo (from 6 to 7pw).

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair launches new twice-weekly winter route from Brussels South Charleroi to Glasgow:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryanair ... i-glasgow/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to Willie Walsh, Chairman of the IAG Group in an interview to the Irish Times this morning, former arch-rivals Ryanair and Aer Lingus are close to sign a "passenger sharing deal", in which Ryanair would fly passengers to Dublin or Shannon, where they would continue long-haul on Aer Lingus (or vice versa) with one single ticket.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... Oc.twitter
André
ex Sabena #26567

3toons

Post by 3toons »

I'm surprised that the flights to Glasgow International are only twice weekly. When Ryanair operated flights from Glasgow Prestwick to Brussels Charleroi the flights were daily. I flew that route many times and the flights were always completely full or with only two or three seats empty. I don't think I'll be able to use this route unfortunately. The flights arrive into Charleroi too late as I have to go to Oostende which I know from experience can take up to five hours from landing at Charleroi to get to Oostende.

ostair

Post by ostair »

ostair wrote:
3toons wrote:I'm surprised that the flights to Glasgow International are only twice weekly. When Ryanair operated flights from Glasgow Prestwick to Brussels Charleroi the flights were daily. I flew that route many times and the flights were always completely full or with only two or three seats empty. I don't think I'll be able to use this route unfortunately. The flights arrive into Charleroi too late as I have to go to Oostende which I know from experience can take up to five hours from landing at Charleroi to get to Oostende.
Time for Ryanair (or another operator) to offer UK flights to and from OST...
As 23% of the tourists visiting Brughes are from UK(nr 1 in the stats) surely there is a market.
Then again no subsidies-no Ryanair(or another operator)...

koja78

Post by koja78 »

OST... fish don't fly..
@ostair: you can now already take a direct bus to Bruges... then train.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

I think most British tourists arrive in Brugge by coach or by private car.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Dutch appeal court reconfirms 324.000 Euro fine because of violation of Dutch and European consumer legislation

On 26 February 2013, the Dutch economical inspection ACM (Autoriteit Consument en Markt) has condemned Ryanair to a fine of 370.000 Euro because the airline didn’t respect four articles of both international and Dutch consumer legislation:
- unavoidable costs were not included;
- there was no customer service in Dutch (though website and sales were in Dutch);
- there was no visual check possible for typo errors during the booking process untill after the payment;
- there was no email mentionned on the website.
The total amount of the four ACM fines was 370.000 Euro.

Ryanair went into appeal to the Amsterdam court, where the fine was reduced from 370.000 Euro to 324.000 Euro because one of the four accusations wasn’t fully proven.

Ryanair then went also in appeal against this judgement. The highiest appeal court for these matters is the CBL (College van Beroep voor het bedrijfsleven). This CBL court has now reconfirmed the 324.000 Euro.

Press release CBL:
https://www.rechtspraak.nl/Organisatie- ... stand.aspx

Final judgement:
http://uitspraken.rechtspraak.nl/inzien ... B:2016:103

ostair

Post by ostair »

koja78 wrote:OST... fish don't fly..
Fish do seem to fly in other countries.
Ryanair offers flights at BES, LRH,TLN, DOL and LRT just to name a few airports who have the sea at one side...

Nothing offers more convenience than flying direct to your destination with a minimum of loss of time.

ostair

Post by ostair »

Ozzie1969 wrote:I think most British tourists arrive in Brugge by coach or by private car.
You need to do something if you want to go to Brughes...

Low cost flights from MAN or EMA to OST could boost local tourism at both sides.

koja78

Post by koja78 »

I don't think the market is there.. otherwise it would have been done.

koja78

Post by koja78 »

ostair wrote:
koja78 wrote:OST... fish don't fly..
Ryanair offers flights at BES, LRH,TLN, DOL and LRT just to name a few airports who have the sea at one side...

Nothing offers more convenience than flying direct to your destination with a minimum of loss of time.
Some fish are more exotic to others. However... you also need to compare the population in the catchment area (good for OST) and the distance to a bigger airport offering a lot more connection (and here OST looses)

To compare:
Oostende -> BRU airport
Drive: 1:20
Public transport: 1:45

Lorient -> Nantes airport
Drive: 1:50
Public transport: 3:00

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

koja78 wrote:I don't think the market is there.. otherwise it would have been done.
Not necessarily. I once asked the question to Michael O'Leary at one of his press conferences. He said Ryanair is speaking with many airports which are not yet served, including OST. But at this moment, Ryanair doesn't have enough aircraft to go everywhere they would like to go. But the new aircraft are coming now.
André
ex Sabena #26567

3toons

Post by 3toons »

You have to admit that Ostend is very poorly connected to the UK. For me to get to Ostend from where I live in Scotland I have to get two planes to Zaventem and then at least one train to Ostend. The trains are very unreliable and in the past two years when I have arrived at Zaventem the train staff have gone on strike, and I had to get off the train at Bruges, bus to Zeebrugge and tram to Ostend. I have also been put on the wrong train by train staff at Zaventem only to be told to get off the train at Haltert and wait one hour on a train back to Brussels and almost another hour on a train from there to Ostend. The train stations themselves are not very user friendly especially if you are carrying luggage and have to change trains and platforms and there are no escalators or they are broken (90% of the time they are broken at Brussels Zuid). I am aware that there is a bus service from Charleroi to Bruges and that Ryanair are going to start flights from Glasgow International to Charleroi twice a week. If there is a bus that will connect with the flight then I will use it. If not then I am very sorry to say that I won't be back in Ostend which is a great shame because I have been going there for nearly 25 years.

ostair

Post by ostair »

sn26567 wrote:
koja78 wrote:I don't think the market is there.. otherwise it would have been done.
Not necessarily. I once asked the question to Michael O'Leary at one of his press conferences. He said Ryanair is speaking with many airports which are not yet served, including OST. But at this moment, Ryanair doesn't have enough aircraft to go everywhere they would like to go. But the new aircraft are coming now.
Correct André.
I hope that you will ask the same question once MoL visit our country again.

ostair

Post by ostair »

Some fish are more exotic to others. However... you also need to compare the population in the catchment area (good for OST) and the distance to a bigger airport offering a lot more connection (and here OST looses)
To compare:
Oostende -> BRU airport
Drive: 1:20
Public transport: 1:45

Lorient -> Nantes airport
Drive: 1:50
Public transport: 3:00
Ok.

Toulon airport- Marseille
Drive: 51 min
Public transport: 50 min

The fish at the Med are used to warmer weather than the Northsea ;)

Off topic: A ex KV Oostende chairman said in the 90's "Cod(fish) don't watch football.
I would say just watch the sportssection in a Belgian paper.
The footballclub has grown in the last years.Only because someone believed in KV Oostende.
So does the management at EBOS and hopefully MoL too.
Last edited by sn26567 on 12 May 2016, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

3toons wrote:You have to admit that Ostend is very poorly connected to the UK. For me to get to Ostend from where I live in Scotland I have to get two planes to Zaventem and then at least one train to Ostend. The trains are very unreliable and in the past two years when I have arrived at Zaventem the train staff have gone on strike, and I had to get off the train at Bruges, bus to Zeebrugge and tram to Ostend. I have also been put on the wrong train by train staff at Zaventem only to be told to get off the train at Haltert and wait one hour on a train back to Brussels and almost another hour on a train from there to Ostend. The train stations themselves are not very user friendly especially if you are carrying luggage and have to change trains and platforms and there are no escalators or they are broken (90% of the time they are broken at Brussels Zuid). I am aware that there is a bus service from Charleroi to Bruges and that Ryanair are going to start flights from Glasgow International to Charleroi twice a week. If there is a bus that will connect with the flight then I will use it. If not then I am very sorry to say that I won't be back in Ostend which is a great shame because I have been going there for nearly 25 years.
Flibco.com have a coach going straight from Charleroi Airport to the trainstation in Brugge. From Brugge you can take a train to Ostend, only takes 13 minutes to get there.

P.S. Where do you live in Scotland?

3toons

Post by 3toons »

I live in Dreghorn, between Prestwick and Glasgow airports. I know about the bus and it is very good value for money. If there is a bus and train that connects with the flight from Glasgow then I would definately use the bus. It would be better if the bus continued on to Ostend. When Ryanair starts flying between Glasgow and Charleroi in October it will only be twice a week but I'm sure they could easily have daily flights. When they flew from Prestwick the flights were always very busy.