Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

evyncke

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by evyncke »

Let's hope indeed that other European airports/countries will not follow the BRU airport security...

Living in Liège, I am about to consider DUS as a convenient alternative airport (even if I admire BRU & SN reactions)

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

Shouldn't we open a new topic where everyone can state when they arrive at the airport and how long it takes to
- go into the parking
- reaching the check in zone
- reaching the gate

Now everyone is complaining about the extra checks and time this will take (and are dwelling with the "be there 4 hours in advance" mentioned by 1 newspaper). The only remarks I have read so far on luchtzak from travellers is that it is going relatively smooth and that there are no long waiting lines at the moment.

I just want to have a more 'objective' view on this. Then I can advice my wife properly when to go to the airport when she will go to Vilnius within 2 weeks.

By the way, as long as there will be no press reports about long waiting lines at the airport, I think people will faster use BRU again as their base airport.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I also didn't hear any complaints about long waiting times. However, I'm worried to see that more and more airlines are returning to Brussels. It is certainly good news for the airport, but how do they cope? The 20% capacity with 800 pax/hr limit should already have been exceeded since a long time, and if it is not, it will certainly be in the coming days with even more airlines coming back.

Does anyone know how many passengers Brussels Airport is handling day after day?
André
ex Sabena #26567

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

Jetairfly decided to operate flights to Brussels Airport as off next monday, when the easter holidays are completely over. 5 airplanes will be doing about 18 flights. The other TB-flights normally scheduled for Brussels airport, will still remain operated from Ostend.

Full article with more information: http://www.brusselnieuws.be/nl/nieuws/j ... ls-airport
Last edited by BRUpilot on 06 Apr 2016, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Etihad resumes half of its 8 weekly flights Brussels-Abu Dhabi from Sunday, 10 April, five days before Emirates.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Trainferry

Post by Trainferry »

I noticed that almost every airline provides information for flights till the end of April. Also all changes can de done only for flights till the end of April. Would this be just a month-per-month view of the airliners, or is Brussels Airport hoping to offer more check in availabilty by then?

teach

Post by teach »

sn26567 wrote: My comment: this shows again that the actions by the airport police unions were excessive and irresponsible.
Not just that: it'll kill SN and reduce BRU to a small regional airport you only travel to or from if you have no other choice.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Brussels Airlines re-welcomed with a water salute in Washington: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... /1.2622069

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote:My comment: this shows again that the actions by the airport police unions were excessive and irresponsible.
Very much so. Let's not forget b-west and his Facebook group are complicit as well, with his senseless demands thriving on the fears after the attacks.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

If the pre-check continues to run so smooth as it currently does, there hardly is any need to come earlier to the airport.

Besides, I had a look at the numbers, only about 2% arrives 45 minutes or less before departure at the airport (which still is achievable if queuing at pre-check remains limited).

teach

Post by teach »

Jetter wrote:Very much so. Let's not forget b-west and his Facebook group are complicit as well, with his senseless demands thriving on the fears after the attacks.
Wow, I hadn't seen that page yet. The sensationalistic, panicky 'let's quickly implement hasty only half thought through measures whose only effect will be longer waits and moving the terrorist threat 15 meters' headless chicken vibe is very strong on that one...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

RoMax wrote:If the pre-check continues to run so smooth as it currently does, there hardly is any need to come earlier to the airport.
That's something I fail to understand. There are already more than half of the usual number of flights, and the pre-check capacity is limited to 20% of the usual passenger traffic, but it still runs smoothly? There is only one possible explanation: planes run less than half empty.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote:
RoMax wrote:If the pre-check continues to run so smooth as it currently does, there hardly is any need to come earlier to the airport.
That's something I fail to understand. There are already more than half of the usual number of flights, and the pre-check capacity is limited to 20% of the usual passenger traffic, but it still runs smoothly? There is only one possible explanation: planes run less than half empty.
As I understood the 20% it's the possible usage now compared with the maximum capacity at any given time during the day before the attacks. That maximum capacity was only used during the morning. So measured over the whole day the 20% capacity might actually allow for 50% of the traffic compared with the actual usage before the attacks.

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

The requirement for a printed document is also ridiculous.

Anyone can far more easily fake a printed booking confirmation (especially when they come in 100s of different formats from travel agencies/booking websites) than fake an online boarding pass on a mobile phone.

It is very 1990s to think that printed paper is worth something. :roll:

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

If you think of how outdated the IT systems of police and justice are, it suddenly starts making sense. ;)
These are demands of people who still communicate through fax.

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

flymd11 wrote:The requirement for a printed document is also ridiculous.
Indeed, this is the cherry on the stupidity cake of those security measures :roll:

travellover

Post by travellover »

sn26567 wrote:
Arnaud Feist, CEO of Brussels Airport Co., recognized that this “solution won’t offer the quality and comfort that passengers are used to at Brussels Airport” and he said he hopes the airport will be able to run at maximum capacity by the end of June or beginning of July. Demolition work in the damaged departure hall has started and in the coming weeks, the airport operator will be developing a strategic plan for the reconstruction of the departure hall. This will take place in two stages. The first stage will be focused on restoring the functionality of several check-in desks in the departure hall. In the second stage, the work will targeted toward a comprehensive reopening of the departure hall.
http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... d-security
Some indications about the reconstruction process finally. Hope for more news..
Cheers

travellover

Post by travellover »

travellover wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
Arnaud Feist, CEO of Brussels Airport Co., recognized that this “solution won’t offer the quality and comfort that passengers are used to at Brussels Airport” and he said he hopes the airport will be able to run at maximum capacity by the end of June or beginning of July. Demolition work in the damaged departure hall has started and in the coming weeks, the airport operator will be developing a strategic plan for the reconstruction of the departure hall. This will take place in two stages. The first stage will be focused on restoring the functionality of several check-in desks in the departure hall. In the second stage, the work will targeted toward a comprehensive reopening of the departure hall.
http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... d-security
Some indications about the rebuilding process finally. Hope for more news..
Cheers

pilot_gent

Post by pilot_gent »

2 days ago I had to be at the airport (through the pre-check), in stead of driving 35 minutes to work, it took me 1 hour. very smooth... :?

And this is for an airport running at reduced capacity

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

pilot_gent wrote:
2 days ago I had to be at the airport (through the pre-check), in stead of driving 35 minutes to work, it took me 1 hour. very smooth... :?

And this is for an airport running at reduced capacity

BRU better lower its handeling fees significantly as no airline is gonna put up with this crap at the current price.