Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

EBBU

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2016

Post by EBBU »

Update Belgocontrol :

The reconciliation talks did not lead to an agreement that would be acceptable to all parties.
According to Belgocontrol, only minister J. Gallant can give the assurances needed.

This means actions will start on Monday, Feb 15th.

According to my source :

There will be no impact on passengers/airlines

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

EBBU wrote:Update Belgocontrol : The reconciliation talks did not lead to an agreement that would be acceptable to all parties. According to Belgocontrol, only minister J. Gallant can give the assurances needed. This means actions will start on Monday, Feb 15th.

According to my source :
There will be no impact on passengers/airlines
Your source is not telling the truth (not abnormal for trade unions). What the unions call "assurances" is actually another series of taxpayers money. If not, the trade unions will go on strike.

Initially, ATC union members will refuse to follow the training for the new routes (necessary to cancel "Leuven Rechtdoor"). Next step will be a strike. Flemish tv VRT reports: "De bonden willen extra investeringen losweken en de huidige pensioenregeling verlenging. Als de top van het bedrijf niet op de vakbondseisen ingaat, kan er uiteindelijk nog een staking volgen. Volgende week vrijdag zal ACV de toestand intern evalueren..." Translated: the unions want new investments and a prolongation of the old pension settlement. If not, a strike could be the next step. Trade union ACV will decide on this matter next week Friday.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2570953

EBBU

Post by EBBU »

Let's hope that 'next step' won't be necessary then.
Who knows, maybe this time there will be an agreement that everyone can live with.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

That means: "when get what we want" in union talk. Belgium's messed up :roll:

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

sean1982 wrote:That means: "when get what we want" in union talk.
+1.

:thumbup:

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

EBBU wrote:Let's hope that 'next step' won't be necessary then.
Who knows, maybe this time there will be an agreement that everyone can live with.
The unions have now set an ultimatum: by next Wednesday (= 02 March), the unions want that Belgocontrol has accepted their demands. If not: striiiiiiike.

Source: VRT Flemish tv:
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2582230

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SAS Scandinavian Airlines two-day strike ended on 23 February 2016 after transport unions and management reached an agreement on wages and conditions for contracted crew members.

Did it have any effect on Brussels flights?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Adria Airways pilots announced a strike for 18 March 2016 in an attempt to force the company’s management to sign a new collective bargaining agreement.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

30-40 min? I saw slots being assigned 4 hours after STD for flights overflying france :/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sean1982 wrote:30-40 min? I saw slots being assigned 4 hours after STD for flights overflying france :/
According to the info I received ;-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Did I get censored? ;)

I had posted here a message telling that French ATC would be on strike on 20-21 March, and that DGAC had asked airlines to reduce their schedules by 20% on those days.

Not sure it affects Brussels Airlines...
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote:
Did I get censored? ;)

I had posted here a message telling that French ATC would be on strike on 20-21 March, and that DGAC had asked airlines to reduce their schedules by 20% on those days.

Not sure it affects Brussels Airlines...
My bad, missed that one ;-)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Boeing767copilot wrote:A JAF 737-700 is on his way from BRU to BCN right now, on board the pax from ANR. BCN-OST will be operated by a 737-700 as well
sean1982 wrote:
DIBO wrote:Job well done by JAF :thumbup:
If I look at CRL's arrivals, 3/3 JAF flights delayed but still scheduled, but.... the 'other' airline (which we don't name) 6/11 cancellations :thumbdown:
Well, if you only do three flights you're not dependent on a turn around to get more flights out and as you can make a crewmember fly up to 15 hrs in extreme situations you can take some delay. When you are dependent on a turn around you can only make your crew fly maximum 13 hrs and if there are then slots issued which are 4-5 hours after scheduled departure ... Well, you do the math. Maybe learn a bit about airline operations before you make comments that make no sense.
Jetairfly has sent that Barcelona flight to Antwerp, and then flew empty to Ostend. They could have flown direct to Ostend and then bussed the passengers to Antwerp. Would have been cheaper. But they've tried to realize the flight as it was promised. So yes: thank you very much, Jetairfly.

Passengers don't have a message to short turnaround times, extreme situations, Ryanair maths. What they see is that most flights from all other airlines are operating with an average delay of 2 hours. Average indeed. Some flights are even on time, whilst others are delayed by 4-5 hours max.

The big AMS Schiphol had 38 cancellations yesterday. Ryanair has cancelled more then 260 flights on both Sunday and Monday. Don't tell us that's normal and necessary: French ATC asked airlines only to cancel 20% of the flights. Instead, Ryanair uses the "extraordinary circumstances" that European legislation allows to cancel as many flights as necessary. Not necessary for passengers' comfort or convenience, but to optimalize the fleet.

20th March:
http://www.cloud.scorebuddy.co.uk/ryana ... 2016-03-20

21st March:
http://www.cloud.scorebuddy.co.uk/ryana ... 2016-03-21

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Your math skills seem to be off passenger. Ryanair operates 1800 flights per day, 260 of those were cancelled which means about 14,4% and so well below the required 20 %. All passengers were helped according to the EU rules and on top of that Ryanair will operate 20 extra flights tomorrow to help stranded passengers. How many other european airlines do this? :)

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-in ... ue-flights

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Szan, I am not sure that Ryanair would made a big detour like BA hereunder in order to avoid French skies. They would rather cancel the flight.

BA470 average flight time: 1:35. Today's expect flight time due to French ATC strike: 2:47
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Oh for crying out loud, and this comes from a moderator?
:roll:

FR did anything it could to minimize disruption to the passenger including using all spare crew available, using all spare airplanes available, jetting the 3 learjets around for crew transport AND organising extra flights for stranded passengers. That's more than any other airline in europe did.

convair

Post by convair »

sean1982 wrote:Oh for crying out loud, and this comes from a moderator?
:roll:

FR did anything it could to minimize disruption to the passenger including using all spare crew available, using all spare airplanes available, jetting the 3 learjets around for crew transport AND organising extra flights for stranded passengers. That's more than any other airline in europe did.
I'm not here to judge, but looking at the 2 Ryanair's own cancellations lists given by "passenger" hereabove, I see a lot of Spain/Portugal to Italy and vv that would not have needed to fly over France, a few UK-Lisbon and even a Cardiff-Tenerife that could have easily avoided France.
I know one cancellation can disrupt the whole day (and even more) for the crews and the planes, but for those flights I mentioned above, I'm not too convinced they did their very best.

And, BTW, given the frequency of strikes by the French ATCs, I suggest all european airlines should set up a permanently available Plan B, and why not apply it systematically during school holiday periods!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Because convair, there comes a point when you run out of standby crew and spare airplanes. That is already plan B. If an airlines uses up all of their back-up resources there is no other solution than to cancel the flight.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A French national strike is planned this Thursday, March 31st 2016.

Several public service unions have echoed this call, including USAC-CGT for the DGAC.

Source: Eurocontrol
André
ex Sabena #26567