All Girls Crew on the Kenya 787!

This is the forum to place all your aviation videos and clips: events, air disasters, crashes, spectacular landings, etc...
JustPlanes

All Girls Crew on the Kenya 787!

Post by JustPlanes »

EDIT: Corrected YouTube formatting.

jan_olieslagers

Re: All Girls Crew on the Kenya 787!

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Bah! What kind of sexism is that! One is almost tempted to wonder if Africa is really behind on the times!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Having watched the entirety of the clip, I can honestly say I don't see any trace of sexism, at all.
Having an all-female crew is quite extraordinary, even in Europe or in the U.S. I'd wage it's even more exceptional in Africa.
Having said that... If anything, in my eyes this shows a step forward. A lot of foreigners see African countries as close to medieval, the concept of a female captain is not one that's viewed as "likely" by a lot of people. And if you're talking about the "Dreamgirls"-bit, I am rather convinced that's just wordplay on the 787's nickname.

However, I digress, and I'm afraid we're on the edge of falling into a political discussion. Luchtzak is not exactly the medium to have that kind of discussion. If you'd like to, I always welcome a continuing discussion through PM.
Thomas

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

It was the "all girls crew" title that bit me - can you imagine any airline advertising an "all boys crew" flight? Or a "dreamboys flight", for that matter? Imagine the effect in the media?

In the 20th century, a female captain, or an all-female crew, might be remarkable. Today, one doesn't care about people's sex. If the job gets done all right, the people doing it are all right.

I must admit, though
-) that the game of the word has its merit
-) that my comment was political - but then, so was the advertisement, imho
-) that we shouldn't discuss politics on this forum

Case closed, for me - and thanks for reminding me - in a gentle way.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

the only fact that they feel the need to tell anything like that proofs the world is very sexist.
It's a bit like in belgium : omg, look ! the new boss of proximus is a woman ! crazy !!

nothing new on planet eath, i'm afraid :)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.