Trip report: BRU - ALC - BRU on JAF and RYR

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Jacob330

Trip report: BRU - ALC - BRU on JAF and RYR

Post by Jacob330 »

Hi all,
Not the most exciting route, and very well-known airlines for us. But I decided to post this report to compare both airline's services. This was a rock climbing trip to the Costa Blanca. We were carrying a lot of climbing gear, each bag weighed 20kg. Also, we had a clipstick with us, approximately 1.5m long. It was an adventure to get it in Spain, but an even bigger adventure to get it back in BRU and back home... You can read about it in the link below.
http://www.5c-climbing.com/trip-reports ... ge-flight/

BRU - ALC on JAF2613

Our previous climbing trip to Tenerife was also with JAF. Their luggage allowance was the main reason to choose them again. However, we overlooked their new rule. So we had to book 5kg extra, at 5 euro charge.

Equipment: Embraer 190 OO-JEB "Navigator"
Loadfactor: 100%
STD: 16:25 on time
STA: 19:10 on time
JAF at ALC
JAF at ALC
Boarding went smooth, except for one extremely angry passenger who claimed to have lost his boarding pass. The gate agent and redcap dealed with it professionaly. I don't know what happened to him in the end.
The flight was uneventful. We bought a drink as we didn't preorder a meal.
The aircraft parked at a remote stand. Usually I don't like that, but as this was a small aircraft everyone got on two busses very quickly. Also, this gives a nice photo opportunity.
Conclusion: This was another great flight with JAF. For our next trip, they will be again our top choice.

ALC airport is surprisingly big. When we arrived, it was very quite.

ALC - BRU on RYR2934

They were the cheapest option. Normally I prefer not to fly RYR because for me it's quite hard to get to and from CRL. Now they're flying from BRU, they're back in the game.

Equipment: B737-800 (what else? ;) )
Loadfactor: about 90%
STD: 9:55 but delayed with approximately 25 minutes
STA: 12:10 also 25 minutes delay
Another Ryanair flight departing BRU while we were getting to the terminal.
Another Ryanair flight departing BRU while we were getting to the terminal.
The aircraft arrived at the gate on time, but boarding was a mess. Most people were carrying maximum hand luggage, so the overhead storage was full in no time. Many luggage ended up in the belly of the aircraft. Fortunately not ours, as our helmet and climbing harness were in it. We had to put our backpacks at our feet, which is not comfortable. This caused a delay of approximately 25 minutes.
The flight was ok and the crew friendly. There were some annoying passengers, but they dealed with it professionaly.
After the aircraft parked at BRU, it took another 10 minutes before the doors opened. I don't know why, no information was given.
It was a pretty calm afternoon at BRU.
It was a pretty calm afternoon at BRU.
Conclusion: Despite the delay and the luggage at our feet, this flight was OK. The crew was friendly and the price was very cheap. The biggest disappointment came in the end at the luggage belt, as you can read in the link above.
For a trip with no or normal luggage, I would definitely choose Ryanair again. Especially as they're now flying from BRU (CRL is too far away). But with special and/or expensive luggage such as climbing gear, it's not worth the risk.

sn26567

Re: Trip report: BRU - ALC - BRU on JAF and RYR

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your nice reports.

If I go to your link, I read: "But the Ryanair rules are never simple. Normally a lost bag is sent to the passenger. Not with Ryanair: you have to pick it up yourself. That’s not all: you have to pick it up the next five days, otherwise it’s being sent to the airline. So I spent another four hours on the train to keep the chickenstick out of the evil claws of the Irish airline."

This is unheard! I didn't know that. In my long career my baggage has already been lost dozens of times, and it has always been sent by courier, free of charge, to the address I gave (not always home: sometimes hotels abroad) as soon as it was retrieved. How about introducing a claim for lost time and the cost of train tickets?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

It's not the airline, but the ground handling company who is responsible of re-uniting the bag with the passenger. That's what they get paid for. So its swissport that is below standard.

BRU

Post by BRU »

Not correct: the airline is responable. But the work is very often subcontracted to the ground handling agent. So in Brussels, Brussels Airlines is doing it. In the past (or still ?), also American did their own bagage lost handling. Others ask Swissport or Aviapartner to do it. But the only do what is in the contract with the airline: nothing more or less. As a passenger, your contract (ticket) is with the airline, not the ground handling agent. So if this is the procedure: it is ryanair procedure, and not the ground handling agent.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/mis ... t-numbers/

In the unlikely event of your baggage being misplaced, the airport baggage desk staff will enter the misplaced bag details into the World Tracer Baggage Tracing system and you will be given a Property Irregularity Report (PIR), You can then use the reference number detailed on the (PIR) to check online if there is any update on the tracing on your bag - please click here to check online the status of your misplaced bag.

http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/fr.htm

You may check the status of your delayed bag and, as needed, modify the delivery and contact information.
Please ensure your name, address, flight information and bag type details are correct. In case of any changes, please notify us as quickly as possible so we can update your file accordingly. This information will help us in returning your baggage quickly.
We will advise you once your baggage has been received and arrange a convenient time for delivery.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Jacob330

Post by Jacob330 »

It's also the first time I heard of having to collect your luggage yourself. I called Swissport three times to check if this was correct. Three different staff members gave me the same information... As I work for the NMBS/SNCB, it didn't cost me anything, so no need for a claim, fortunately.

Sean, it's indeed the GHA which has to deal with it. They couldn't give me details where it went wrong. I guess Ryanair negotiated a cheap contract with Swissport, hence the limited service Swissport is giving afterward. That's not Ryanair's fault of course, but it is part of the 'package' a passenger is buying. And that's something you have to think about when travelling with expensive gear in the belly of the aircraft.
It was definitely not the last time I traveled with Ryanair. Just not on a climbing trip anymore.

BRU

Post by BRU »

Jacob330 wrote:Sean, it's indeed the GHA which has to deal with it. They couldn't give me details where it went wrong. I guess Ryanair negotiated a cheap contract with Swissport, hence the limited service Swissport is giving afterward. That's not Ryanair's fault of course, but it is part of the 'package' a passenger is buying. And that's something you have to think about when travelling with expensive gear in the belly of the aircraft.
Wrong information. It is not discussing a cheap deal and than the handler deciding which service they provide and which not. Having worked for a hanlding agent many years, can assure you that the handler performs the job based on the contract with the airline, clearly stipulating what can be offered and what not. Cost for delivery are recharged to the airline. So the handler does not save any money by trying to exclude services.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

First of all thanks for the nice report Jacob330!

Secondly, in an attempt to objectify this discussioin on lost luggage a little. This is what the European Commission mentions on her website:
> If your luggage is lost, damaged or delayed, you may be entitled to compensation from the airline of up to about €1200.
> The airline is not liable if they can prove that they have taken all reasonable measures to avoid the luggage problem or that it was impossible to avoid.
What it says is that unless the airline can prove (which they have to do then) that they lost the luggage due to 'force majeure', it is indeed the airline that is liable for the lost/damaged luggage. That makes perfect sense: they are the ones you pay to deliver a service and the ones who decide to either in- or outsource part of that service delivery. Whatever they choose to do, you are liable towards them, they to you as your contract is with the airline. Now, if the airline deems that their subcontractor is liable, they are perfectly free to try and claim their rights from their subcontractor. But the passenger has no business whatsoever with any of the subcontracters of their suppliers.

Jacob330

Post by Jacob330 »

BRU and TeddybAIR, thanks for clarifying this.