RYR at BRU (press conference)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

RYR at BRU (press conference)

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair press conference today at Zaventem :
- FR hope to carry 10 M pax/year from its two Belgian bases in five years time
- 4 planes, 12 lines, 200 flights/week at BRU, from 27 February
- at the moment, 70% of the seats available at BRU have been booked; the average Ryanair 82% LF is expected to be reached
- expecting 1,5 million pax for the first year at BRU

http://www.lavenir.net/article/detail.a ... 3_00432655
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

cnc

Re: RYR at BRU (press conference)

Post by cnc »

what about maintenance at BRU? Lufthansa technics?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nothing really new thus at this press conference. MOL was absent and the goal was to present the new marketing chief, Kenny Jacobs. I was well inspired not to spent my money on a trip to the Airport Sheraton...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:Nothing really new
Except for the updated load factors then

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Nothing really new
Except for the updated load factors then
I don(t go to a press conference only to see load factors ;)

Here is a pic of the conference with the new marketing chief announcing some fares out of BRU:

André
ex Sabena #26567

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Before I post my comment I want to make clear that I'm not targetting one specific company, but that I am simply using the picture that was posted earlier in this thread as an illustration. Therefore, if other companies adopt same practices, than the below comment is also applicable to them. Glad we have that disclaimed :D

I'm a marketeer with about 10 years background at this moment and i do not see the mention of "vanaf/à partir de" on the billboard, nor do I see a reference to the terms & conditions in one of our official languages. If I were the new marketing manager, I'd be careful bout such regulatory requirments or you might see yourself forced to sell all your tickets to barcelona at 27,99€ ;)

For the rest: happy to see an airline with some ambition!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Kenny Jacobs hides from view the small print at the bottom of the screen - however, one can read : "See Ryanair.com for terms and conditions".

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

airazurxtror wrote:Kenny Jacobs hides from view the small print at the bottom of the screen - however, one can read : "See Ryanair.com for terms and conditions".
He said "...in one of our official languages." I don't know how strict Belgium is on this, but some countries would certainly make an issue of it, certainly when someone files a complaint. Though I don't think this is going to be an issue for FR.
Now I actually wonder, has every big airline ad in Belgium has such a referal to the terms and conditions in the official languages of Belgium?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Why a publicity should be in the official language of the country? This is in the airport area so it´s logical it´s in English?!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote:Why a publicity should be in the official language of the country? This is in the airport area so it´s logical it´s in English?!
It's about the referal to the terms and conditions. I don't know how strict the EU/Belgium is in this, but certain countries require this to be visible in the official language(s) of the country.
But again, it's more a question regarding the post of 'teddybAIR', than a 'statement'.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

airazurxtror wrote:- at the moment, 70% of the seats available at BRU have been booked; the average Ryanair 82% LF is expected to be reached
Just to clarify: the 70% number was only mentioned for the first days of operation. ;) And even that was more like a rough guess.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

When those aircraft are coming to BRU? And when are them starting their operation?

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

These aircrafts will al be ferried in I guess the day before they start operations, keep an eye on the BRU spotting topic's, times might be there ;)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

The first Ryanair flights from Brussels are scheduled on thursday 27 february.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Quite a few Belgian journalists have been invited by Ryanair to visit the Stansted base and have been shown the technical installations by Michael Hickey, Director of Engineering.
I have read two of the reports this morning (in "Le Soir" and "Metro") : the writers have been favourably impressed and seem not to have any doubt about the safety of Ryanair operations.

Stij

Post by Stij »

airazurxtror wrote:...the writers have been favourably impressed and seem not to have any doubt about the safety of Ryanair operations.
Dear Airazurxtror,

I do not doubt the safety of Ryanair operations, not more than any other Western European carrier.
But I do seriously doubt the knowledge about safety in aviation of these journalists!!!

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I am getting the impression Ryanair has learnt the hard way goodwill towards them is fairly low at BRU indeed and have thus embarked on a public charm offensive and so their frequent yet non-telling press conferences are to be seen in this context too, since they are basially more about how beneficial they are to Belgium and its economy, than about any real news.

Maybe if they want to buy real goodwill, they should stop "supporting" on site jobs like they claim to do and start "creating" on site jobs, for instance through the set up a maintenance base?
Plenty of very skilled technicians around here, I am sure.

BTW- anybody knows how many people have actually been newly recruted by them for their new base in BRU? With its opening imminent, surely they must have been selected and employed by now, but I didn't see any job offers on the Belgian labor fora by them? In fact, there doesn't seem to have been a hike in job offers at the airport itself either, meaning that even indirectly not much additional people got hired so far.
Could be an interesting and fairly straightfoward case study for some investigation journalism: a facts check is quite popular these days and definitely more journalistic than a documentary article written on the basis of a company-guided tour. ;)
Last edited by Inquirer on 14 Feb 2014, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

As always, job offers have been posted on the ryanair website. Where else would a company post job openings as on it's corporate website? :roll: nice try, spindoctor

Swissport had too many employees and was considering terminating some temporary contracts, but have decided not to do so, now that they have the FR handling contract, in fact they're considering hiring more people because of it.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

hello Sean: so you are officially breaking the news that 1,500 new employees have been recruted by ryanair at BRU then? And given the new legislation, that's 1,500 people on the Belgian payroll then?
WOW, that's definitely very good news: stange nobody reported on it yet in the press as this certainly warrants some headlines! I mean, this is more than an entire car factory!
:)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Another nice try, I'm not letting me drag into mudfights again as arguing with you is boring and useless.

First start by reading the new legislation before commenting on it ... It has nothing to do with belgian payroll but all to do with belgian social security. As for how many indirect jobs are created I don't know, but I'm sure that you know that operations is more then just flight and cabin crew (which hovers around 250 people). Security, handling, ground ops personnel, catering, etc... come to mind?

And if you want to know where the 1500 number comes from:
Airports Counscil International research confirms up to 1,000 ‘on-site’ jobs are sustained at international airports for every 1m passengers