16 direct trains from Holland to Brussels Airport in 2014

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Zorba

Re: 16 direct trains from Holland to Brussels Airport in 20

Post by Zorba »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
why is the Bruges-Brussels-Leuven- Tongeren train not making a stop at the airport?
Because it would need to change direction ("kop maken") at the airport, driving in from the South and leaving to the South again. This is a complex operation, taking at least 20 minutes if my old memory serves.
It indeed takes a lot more time, but certainly not 20 minutes. The same train changes direction in Leuven and they have about 10 minutes there.
Tot hier en verder

convair

Post by convair »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
Because it would need to change direction ("kop maken") at the airport, driving in from the South and leaving to the South again.
I thought the famous (and expensive!) diabolo was meant to avoid that constraint.

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

convair wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:
Because it would need to change direction ("kop maken") at the airport, driving in from the South and leaving to the South again.
I thought the famous (and expensive!) diabolo was meant to avoid that constraint.
It does, for trains going to Mechelen/Antwerp.
Tot hier en verder

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Zorba wrote:
convair wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:
It does, for trains going to Mechelen/Antwerp.
It could also do, for trains going to Leuven-Liège.
250px-Diabolo_project_fr.jpg
250px-Diabolo_project_fr.jpg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 733 times
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The problem is that Europe has obliged NMBS/SNCB to ask a surcharge for passengers using the new Diabolo tunnel to get to Brussels Airport railway station. It has to do with the financing of Diabolo.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Not sure whether "Europe" has anything to do here - for this once, then. There certainly is a surcharge on all train tickets that use the Diabolo but I always understood this comes only from the private investors.