question about flights to San Francisco via Chicago

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

question about flights to San Francisco via Chicago

Post by Atlantis »

Dear all,

Probably someone can help me about this one.

I'm planning a trip to San Francisco via Chicago with United.

I would like to know if somebody has some experience with Chicago Airport and the connections there. As far as I know, international flights of United will arrive at Terminal 5. The domestic flight to San Francisco will depart from Terminal 1, if I'm correct.

Time to change from aircraft is 1h55min.

How is this connecting an other flight? Is it clearly visible at the airport like f.e. at Heathrow it is all very clear signed.

I tried to look it up on the website of Chicago airport, but their website is not that good.

all information is welcome.

Thank you

sn26567

Re: question about flights to San Francisco via Chicago

Post by sn26567 »

My latest experience of SFO via ORD was with Sabena and American (which was codesharing with AA at that time), hence it is not very up-to-date. However I would recommend ample time for the connection, as you will have to clear customs at ORD. 1 hr 55 min might work if everything is OK, but might be short if, like in my case, many transcontinental flights arrive at the same period. If I remember well, my time to make the connection was 3 hrs.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BRU

Post by BRU »

Had a good experience earlier this year flying to Dallas via Chicago. Only had 1.5h to connect and due to small delay this was 50 min. But made it on time without running. And also to my surprise... But found everything to be simple and rather clear.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Thanks already for the quick replies.

Those connection times are given by United itself as it is "one ticket". Of course I can take also a later connection flight and then change between aircraft is 2h40min.

The flight will arrive at Chicago around noon, so maybe is quiet busy then and better to take a later flight to be sure.

I saw that travelling between Terminals is via kind of a rail system?

dna

Post by dna »

You should always allow enough time to transfer at any US airport. Delays at border control, even in Chicago, can be quite long for non-US citizens. If your flight from BRU is delayed, United staff will be present at the gate in Terminal 5 with a boarding pass for your onward flight in a bright yellow or orange envelope. If you have that in your hands at border control, you should be given priority but even then, be prepared for long delays. After that you need to recheck your luggage before you can take the train to the terminal where you need to be for your onward connection. Inter-terminal tranfers are clearly signposted.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Is luggage not checked in to your final destination? I did already many intercontinental flights via LHR f.e. but luggage was check in at BRU to the final destination even with one or two stops between.

taz001

Post by taz001 »

Atlantis wrote:Is luggage not checked in to your final destination? I did already many intercontinental flights via LHR f.e. but luggage was check in at BRU to the final destination even with one or two stops between.
Hello Atlantis, they will check your bag till SFO, but nevertheless you need to clear customs at the first port of entry in the US (ORD in your case) which means you have to pick up your bag and show it to customs (and give the blue form you received in the plane). Next, you need to hand over your bag to UA (or airport?) personnel who will put it on a transfer baggage belt. So no need to check it in again, but you need to go through the hassle op picking it up for custom clearance.

If your previous flights were BRU-LHR-SFO, than your first port of entry in the US was SFO itself, so you could do all the custom and immigration formalities there....

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

In the US they have the so-called port-of-call sytem. In short, you need to get your bag and transfer it.

That's why most people tend to connect outside the US.

airDD

Post by airDD »

Connecting in ORD is not easy. You will have to leave the international terminal, go outside and take a small train to the correct UA domestic terminal and go to a security checkpoint which has usually very long lines. 1.55 hours doesnt seem a lot in case something goes wrong. ORD is a huge airport and a bit too small for the number of pax who pass through everyday....

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I was thinking that it is maybe easier to go via LHR. Luggage is checked in to final destination SFO. With BA it is arriving at Terminal 5 and also departing from Terminal 5. In SFO is just the normal procedure.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

How about Air France? You can travel on a ticket that includes the TGV from Brussels-midi/Zuid station to CDG. Arrive nice and early into SFO and the flight back is in the afternoon. That's what I'm doing in December :-)

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Of try LH via FRA (A380)?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Thanks all for the good information and also about the practical things.

I think it is wise to not fly via an other American airport but to fly via an other European airport like LHR, CDG or FRA, even ZRH is a good option.

In May next year I will not have that problem as I fly to IAD which will be the fianl destination and with SN.

But again thanks for the info ;)