Brussels Airlines' third US destination

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airDD

Re: Brussels Airlines' third US destination

Post by airDD »

cnc wrote:perhaps something to consider, both SFO and LAX are also server by LH (from MUC and FRA) and LX + UA does FRA out of SFO so the bigger O&D market has the best chance in needing more seats/flights. i can't see much destinations out of either of them for connecting pax, asia is best served going east out of BRU and you'll lose less time for most USA destinations connecting via the hubs in the east (ORD, EWR, IAD)

And there are rumors Austrian might start a SFO rotation.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

The LH Group is currently obsessed with SFO. SFO here, SFO there.
I'm sure that they have some financial instruments telling them that SFO has good yield potential and the numbers of the daily LH A388 are good. Many Europeans see SFO as a "European" city ideal. Everyone living stacked (some call it cozy), one on top of the other. In a few years, SFO will be just like anywhere else: a ghetto in the city and everyone scrambling to live in the suburbs. And the hype will be over.

I think though that the A380 plays a big role in LH's success in SFO and that LH would be better off increasing their frequencies with A380's rather than have SN operate it with A332. O&D out of Belgium will definitely not fill a daily SFO flight and many people will still prefer to fly A380 through FRA.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Flanker2 wrote:The LH Group is currently obsessed with SFO. SFO here, SFO there.
I'm sure that they have some financial instruments telling them that SFO has good yield potential and the numbers of the daily LH A388 are good. Many Europeans see SFO as a "European" city ideal. Everyone living stacked (some call it cozy), one on top of the other. In a few years, SFO will be just like anywhere else: a ghetto in the city and everyone scrambling to live in the suburbs. And the hype will be over.

I think though that the A380 plays a big role in LH's success in SFO and that LH would be better off increasing their frequencies with A380's rather than have SN operate it with A332. O&D out of Belgium will definitely not fill a daily SFO flight and many people will still prefer to fly A380 through FRA.
What r u talking about? Urban sprawl has grown more slowly in the US and we'll off people are moving back to the city. As for hype u obviously have never been to San Francisco. Not only have u obviously no idea about the cultural value of the place, also u have no idea that it is most of the time a foggy cold kind of miserable place. How sexy right?

As to A332 vs A380, stop kidding yourself it's about price and somewhat comfort not about aircraft. If SN is able to pick up traffic from some places that lh can't with good yields, your arguments just does not make sense.

Seriously my friend ur arguments r just so plain incorrect in so many ways that it really takes some courage to still Go on like you do! Congrats. In the meantime I wish you would just be less arrogant about things time and time you say stuff that is factually wrong?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

No need to make a big or personal deal out of this mr. vinnie-winnie.
I've never been to Francisco, but I know enough about it to know what all the hype around it is about and it's not what you describe. You have never been there yourself obviously.

Why don't you explain with your arguments what SFO brings to SN and BRU?
I have not seen one single pro-SFO argument so far on this thread and other threads, only criticism aginst our skepticism.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Flanker2 wrote:No need to make a big or personal deal out of this mr. vinnie-winnie.
I've never been to Francisco, but I know enough about it to know what all the hype around it is about and it's not what you describe. You have never been there yourself obviously.
Wrong! (been there about 1.5 years ago..., just saying) I don't know how you can pretend to know better admitting that you haven't been. I think people that actually have been there will concur with me...
Flanker2 wrote:Why don't you explain with your arguments what SFO brings to SN and BRU?
I have not seen one single pro-SFO argument so far on this thread and other threads, only criticism aginst our skepticism.
- UA hub
- Silicon valley traffic
- Tourism potential (SFO as gateway to California & Nevada)
- Banking industry

cnc

Post by cnc »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote: - UA hub
- Tourism potential (SFO as gateway to California & Nevada)
- Banking industry
sound just like LAX ;)

b-west

Post by b-west »

I was in San Francisco only last month. Had brilliant weather, 30 degrees and over. And everybody I met was telling me how lucky I was, that they had rarely seen such weather ever. :D

Anyway, with what little I know of aviation, I'd say it is a safe bet SN's next destination in the US will be in the east rather than in the west. And it will be a route that's of interest to the LH group, Star Alliance and atlantic++ alliance. And one that SN will be able to slot in taking into account their limited long haul fleet.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

b-west wrote:I was in San Francisco only last month. Had brilliant weather, 30 degrees and over. And everybody I met was telling me how lucky I was, that they had rarely seen such weather ever. :D

Anyway, with what little I know of aviation, I'd say it is a safe bet SN's next destination in the US will be in the east rather than in the west. And it will be a route that's of interest to the LH group, Star Alliance and atlantic++ alliance. And one that SN will be able to slot in taking into account their limited long haul fleet.
true that! u were very lucky & SN destination is likely to be on the east coast!

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Apparantly there is an economic delegation on its way to Chicago...

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/b ... _terugkeer

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

No, to California, via Chicago :D

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

It seems the poll clearly shows BOS as potential brussels airlines 3rd USA destination!

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

An interesting in-depth article on what's to be considered before launching a US destination is to be found in De Tijd, today.

http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... eaderpromo

I hope it may be of interest to you.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Inquirer wrote:An interesting in-depth article on what's to be considered before launching a US destination is to be found in De Tijd, today.

http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... eaderpromo

I hope it may be of interest to you.
We can't read it if we are not a member of De Tijd.
Can you give a small summary?
Best regards,

Airbuske

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Oh, I didn't know it was in the subscriber's part of the site, sorry.

In short:

- there are a lot of specific rules which B.air needs to comply with if it wants to serve a US destination, notably on the handling of passengers and cargo, not only from a commercial, but also from a legal point of view, as there are big differences between the EU and the US.

- also catering and passenger handling has been modified to make it more 'US like', for instance by having ginger ale as a drink on board, or not overpampering persons with reduced mobility, strangely enough.

- the 2 destinations currently served are performing as planned, but both bring them a completely different kind of public.

- both flights have huge amounts of connecting passengers: the reporter gives the example of the Washington flight he was on: 180 passengers in total, 132 of them flew in from elsewhere first, 65 passengers have a connection at Washington.

- serving the US without the help of a US partner is pointless, according the airline's network development manager, referring to the above numbers.

- To increase the number of connections at the other side, the flight is going to be pushed forward by 30 minutes as from next season.

- given the huge efforts which have been made to make the airline US compliant, it makes sense to grow beyond the current 2 routes. No decision on the next route is taken, but last year Boston, San Fransisco and Montreal were in the running.

- the Washington station manager is very pleased with the results of his flight, which is the last transatlantic flight to leave DC, something which is appreciated by many European officials and diplomats working in the US capital.

(note: own wording used to make the summary)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Inquirer wrote: - To increase the number of connections at the other side, the flight is going to be pushed forward by 30 minutes as from next season.
I assume this is about IAD? Ok it increases the number of connections on the IAD-side, but isn't it a disadvantage for the connection out of BRU (or to say it in a different way, doesn't it decrease the advantage of being one of the only carriers having such a late flight to IAD)?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

RoMax wrote:
Inquirer wrote: - To increase the number of connections at the other side, the flight is going to be pushed forward by 30 minutes as from next season.
I assume this is about IAD? Ok it increases the number of connections on the IAD-side, but isn't it a disadvantage for the connection out of BRU (or to say it in a different way, doesn't it decrease the advantage of being one of the only carriers having such a late flight to IAD)?
Indeed, its about the DC flight.

Don't ask me, I merely try to repeat what's in the article, but they do mention connections can become costly if missed and immigration into the US is sometimes slow, so I guess they've made their homework and found it would improve their bottom line, hence the decision?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Inquirer wrote: Don't ask me, I merely try to repeat what's in the article, but they do mention connections can become costly if missed and immigration into the US is sometimes slow, so I guess they've made their homework and found it would improve their bottom line, hence the decision?
Yes I assume they have very good reasons to do this and probably the advantages of having more time at IAD are more significant than (maybe) the disadvantages at the BRU side, but I just wondered about it.