Passenger plane aborting takeoff at Eelde (NL)!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

arthurv

Passenger plane aborting takeoff at Eelde (NL)!

Post by arthurv »

original Dutch text:
Op vliegveld Eelde nabij Groningen is een passagiersvliegtuig van Onur Air bij het opstijgen in de problemen geraakt. Het toestel met bestemming Turkije kwam bij het opstijgen niet van de grond en schoot door.

De 140 passagiers hebben het toestel ondertussen kunnen verlaten. Een aantal reizigers is met knie- en rugklachten behandeld. De hulpverleningsdiensten hebben groot alarm geslagen, en worden bij gestaan door de brandweer van de gemeente Eelde.

Volgens ooggetuigen was er bij het opstijgen van het vliegtuig rook te zien. Om 11:30u is een persconferentie.

English Translation:
In Eelde (Nl), an Onur air passengers plane overshot the runway while trying to take off. 140 passengers were evacuated, some of them with knee and back problems. more information on a press conference at 11:30 local time. Eye witnesses reported smoke during the take off trial.

arthurv

gear collapsed, luckily rear mounted engines

Post by arthurv »

According to the picture, the MD-88 seems to have sunk through his landing gear while rolling in the soft grass... I guess they're lucky that it was a MD-88 and not a Boing, Airbus or RJ with wing-mounted engines... could have been more catastrophic.
Last edited by arthurv on 18 Jun 2003, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

SAB-OM

Here is a topic about the AA89.
Not only the braking blocks needed to be replaced also most of the tires.

Greetz,

Dave

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I have been on TC-ONP twice (BRU-ADB-BRU), and I have to say that I was extremely disspointed with it's climb performance. In Brussels, it needed the same runway lenght (with maximum thrust) as a fully loaden B747, and the same happened when we took off in ADB.

In comparision: a year later I flew 3 times on an MD82 of AZ, and those climbed like rockets.

Glad that nobody is injured!

Regards
Frederic

Glider

Post by Glider »

Will this plane fly again in future? :?:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Where in Holland is Eelde located? I mean, of which large city is it the airport?
André
ex Sabena #26567

arthurv

Post by arthurv »

sn26567 wrote:Where in Holland is Eelde located? I mean, of which large city is it the airport?
Groningen

thomascookie

Post by thomascookie »

Groningen

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hi all,

a picture of the Onur Air MD 80 can be found at http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?111469

Slides deployed and overwing exits used.

ciao,

Bart

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

You can see also the photos of the recovery on www.planepictures.net (search for TC-ONP) or on www.jetstar.nl

Greetz

Dave