Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

Re: Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Post by convair »

The requested slots announced by "Kapitein" do not seem very favourable for SN's AFI connections. Could it be that these slots would go to UA whilst SN would depart to/arrive from IAD in the morning? It would make more sense (to me anyway ;) ).

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

Or it is an evening flight as suggested which would get US businessmen back at home in the evening?

convair

Post by convair »

Could very well be of course, although US businessmen usually tend to fly US airlines.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I thought Brussels and United worked together in a JV on their transatlantic flights, sharing both costs and revenues? If that's the case, than it doesn't matter much which of the 2 flights/airlines is selected for a certain journey, no?

BTW - still no official confirmation?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Inquirer wrote: BTW - still no official confirmation?
Would be strange on Friday or in the weekend anyway...Wait until Monday I would say.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

convair wrote:Could very well be of course, although US businessmen usually tend to fly US airlines.
There are also many European business people going to the IAD-region. And of course you have EU and NATO officials and things like that. Often it makes more sense to spend a half day at work and than leave for the US to get there in the evening, go to sleep and start the next morning a little bit more fresh. Now you don't have anything about your day in BRU/Belgium, you arrive in the US around noon, but actually it's a bit too late to do a lot of work and you are tired anyway.
So business people ask for years for an evening flight to the US out of BRU and besides New York, IAD is one of these wanted regions. US people may tend to fly a US airline, if the European one suits them better in flexibility, they'll go for that one (but for them, it depends on what they prefer, as they travel from the US to BRU arriving here quite late compared to the UA flight, so no full day that you can use, if you would want that after such a flight anyway, or do they also prefer the late arrival back in IAD and possibly spending the last day in BRU for a part at work).
convair wrote:The requested slots announced by "Kapitein" do not seem very favourable for SN's AFI connections. Could it be that these slots would go to UA whilst SN would depart to/arrive from IAD in the morning? It would make more sense (to me anyway ;) ).
Inquirer wrote:I thought Brussels and United worked together in a JV on their transatlantic flights, sharing both costs and revenues? If that's the case, than it doesn't matter much which of the 2 flights/airlines is selected for a certain journey, no?
Basicly it doesn't matter, but mostly the 'natural operator' is selected for a certain fligth. If the morning flight has a majority of AFI-transfers/EU-transfers, that would make SN the natural operator. If there is more business O&D for exemple, it would be UA. But even IF SN would be the natural operator of the morning flight, I don't know if UA would want to give that up anyway (they seem to have given in already by simply 'allowing' SN to operate the route which is one of the main UA-routes out if IAD).

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Still no press release

cnc

Post by cnc »

well yea why would they do a press release before the slots are secured

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

cnc wrote:well yea why would they do a press release before the slots are secured
It was announced by some members of a press conference last Friday. But no media or travel organisation is writing about it. Then it is in my eyes no press conference certainly not when SN is not speaking about it on their own website.

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

Atlantis wrote:
cnc wrote:well yea why would they do a press release before the slots are secured
It was announced by some members of a press conference last Friday. But no media or travel organisation is writing about it. Then it is in my eyes no press conference certainly not when SN is not speaking about it on their own website.
Friday there was the New Years party at the bHouse, there was no press conference.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

So internally, it has been communicated. So now we must wait for the press release....

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Now 100% official:

As of 18 June, SN will start operating direct flights between Brussels and Washington, the capital city of the USA, 5 times per week.

The flight will leave Brussels at 17.30 (local time) and arrive in Washington at 20.15 (local time).
In return flight will depart Washington at 22.15 (local time) to arrive in Brussels at 11.50 (local time).

Stij

Post by Stij »

I would have preferred a 19:30 departure, but apart from that: way to go! Good connections to the afternoon departures to AFI! Could also be the start of a second "wave" at the B Pier...

I think I'll plan a trip with my spouse to Washington: she'll take care of the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden and I... have a guess.. Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum(s)!

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

tolipanebas wrote:Now 100% official
It might be official, but still no press release, no e-mails to the journalists, nothing on the website, nothing!

A communication problem?

EDIT: Press release just came out, dated 30/01/2013 10:34
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

It's because the flights are currently not on sale yet, because they must still be loaded into the GDS.

It will be done really soon, after which you will be able to read a PR from SN yourself and can then consider it official too. ;)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sn26567 wrote:EDIT: Press release just came out, dated 30/01/2013 10:34
I told you the PR was going to come really soon, didn't I? 8-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

Megaman

Post by Megaman »

Is a third connection/destination to a US city possible this year or is that all the excitement we can expect? :P

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to Airline Route, the last time a Belgium carrier has been operating Brussels-Washington Dulles was SABENA on 27OCT01, with A330-200.

Would anyone know the registration of that plane? It would be an exceptional coincidence if it were OO-SFU, the aircraft that Brussels Airlines has just been leasing in order to operate the route again.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Actually, the last arrival of SN536 out of IAD was on 27/09/2001 arriving in BRU on 28/09 and was indeed flown by OO-SFU