Charleroi Airport (CRL) latest news 2012

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Charleroi Airport (CRL) latest news 2012

Post by Boeing767copilot »

WizzAir will fly CRL - CLJ as from 18/5/13 two times/week (Cluj Napoca International Airport)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

The walkway (from gate 7) to the western part of the apron is now covered - the pax are thus protected from the rain,if not from the wind and cold !
There are works in progress at the west of the existing apron - to enlarge it, I presume - but also at the east of the terminal. Is it a new car parking ?
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I went to CRL to fetch someone yesterday and I was flabbergasted to see that the WiFI provider for the airport was ... Telenet. But nobody has a Telenet account in Wallonia! How for God's sake did the airport management let Telenet get the WiFi contract?

And the WiFi costs in CRL are the same as in Brussels: outrageously high!

Free WiFi please, as in more and more airports!
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Brussels South Charleroi Airport has a WIFI Internet service, which means that wireless Internet is available everywhere in the terminal. The installation which has been set up and is managed by Telenet, is accessible to the public.
Customers can go online by using a subscription, credit card, roaming facility or vouchers. For Telenet Turbo customers, this service is even included in their subscription.
The vouchers can be bought in the airport in the press and bookshop (public zone) and 4 points of sale (Kitty Bar, Paul, Meli Melo, Take away Café Liégeois) (public and airside zones) and vary in price, depending on the desired length period of use (between 5 and 20 EUR).
Internet hotspots are available in all terminal areas.

http://www.charleroi-airport.com/en/pas ... index.html

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

sn26567 wrote:I went to CRL to fetch someone yesterday and I was flabbergasted to see that the WiFI provider for the airport was ... Telenet. But nobody has a Telenet account in Wallonia! How for God's sake did the airport management let Telenet get the WiFi contract?

And the WiFi costs in CRL are the same as in Brussels: outrageously high!

Free WiFi please, as in more and more airports!
I think you'd be surprised of the high number of Flemish passengers at CRL. I know people from Bruges, Dendermonde, Limbourg – taking public transport all the way South.

But I agree: WiFi should be free. As it is in Scandinavia for example: CPH, ARN, BMA, GOT, LLA, UME, OSD, VBY, RNB, KRN, SDL, OSL & HEL.

Mercator

Post by Mercator »

airazurxtror wrote:There are works in progress at the west of the existing apron - to enlarge it, I presume - but also at the east of the terminal. Is it a new car parking ?
It's an enlargement of the apron on both sides. The western part will open in December.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sn26567 wrote: Free WiFi please, as in more and more airports!
As they say : there is no such thing as a free meal.
Free WiFi means that, in the end, all pay for it.
That is not what is known as the low-cost philosophy : the user pays, the non-user does not pay.
Same as the checked bagages : you have a hold bagage, you pay for it - you don't have any, you don't pay.
I, for one, like it that way.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I disagree. ALL airports have WiFi for their internal use. It does not cost anything at all to make that WiFi network available to the public (except one or two hours of programming).

But some airports also see WiFi as a profit centre and therefore grant a licence to a telecom company, which can make fat profits on the back of unfortunate passengers and return some percentage of that profit to the airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sn26567 wrote: But some airports also see WiFi as a profit centre and therefore grant a licence to a telecom company, which can make fat profits on the back of unfortunate passengers and return some percentage of that profit to the airport.
The passengers don't have much time to use the WiFi at Gosselies : they arrive at the airport about one hour before departure time, have to go through the security control, be at the gate at H-30 minutes, and the boarding begins at H-20 min. As for the arriving passengers, they usually leave the terminal ASAP.

All airports endeavour to make profits on the back of their passengers : for the price of one bottle of water in an airport, you could buy a pack of six at your local Carrefour, for instance.
Not to speak of the price you pay to leave your car in an airport parking ...

SN056M

Post by SN056M »

Telenet wifi is "free" for every telenet customer(who has internet,tv,etc already from telenet) Just log in with your home account login...
Marc

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Spotterke wrote:Telenet wifi is "free" for every telenet customer(who has internet,tv,etc already from telenet) Just log in with your home account login...
I know, but how many telenet customers are there in the Charleroi area, or in Wallonia as a whole?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

@airzur......

I have always to wait at CRL, quite normal. I don't speak about surfing on the web, but free wi-fi is important for many passengers (mail with attachments, etc....)
I'm tamking about business (I'm not retired.....)
And about the food or water..... you pay also 6* the price on board for very bad quality.... :lol:

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

It's not about having or not having WiFi at CRL. They have it.
It's about the WiFi being free or paying.
Why should it be free ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:Why should it be free ?
Because it is a normal service that an airport should provide to frequent flyers (and others as well), and a nice marketing tool to promote the airport. See how Helsinki is boasting its free WiFi !
André
ex Sabena #26567

Michelmvd

Post by Michelmvd »

In a lot of gulf and asian airports, wifi is (time limited) free.
Brgds
Michel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

Yes, and in how many European airports do you find free wifi? At least in BRU and CRL it's free to a significant part of the passengers as Telenet is a big provider. And André, do you really believe CRL gets it's pax solely from the CRL or Walloon area?? I don't think it even accounts for 40% actually...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If they had chosen Belgacom, people from the whole country could have benefited from free access...

And free WiFi is available at more and more airports all over the world, even if it is sometimes time-limited.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

airazurxtror wrote:It's not about having or not having WiFi at CRL. They have it.
It's about the WiFi being free or paying.
Why should it be free ?
It's free in more and more places. Now all hotels have free wifi while you have to pay a few years ago.
I was in Vienna airport 2 days ago, it's also free. Good stuff.
Yes, and in how many European airports do you find free wifi? At least in BRU and CRL it's free to a significant part of the passengers as Telenet is a big provider. And André, do you really believe CRL gets it's pax solely from the CRL or Walloon area?? I don't think it even accounts for 40% actually...
Walloons represent 33% of the population (45% with brussels), so you can expect the same % in CRL ...
But that's not the question. Voo and Telenet have an agreement for the football, not for the wifi ... sadly. It may come, i think i've read they are discussing.
So there is a good part of the population that is as familiar with telenet as with a portugeese provider. Not clever. I'm not in favor of the belgacom monopoly either. Just give it for free, or for a cost of an SMS, 1euro per hour, easy.

fcw

Post by fcw »

JAFflyer wrote:Yes, and in how many European airports do you find free wifi? At least in BRU and CRL it's free to a significant part of the passengers as Telenet is a big provider.
Free roaming exists in many public places and in 99% of the airports around the world.
Many airports offer a, often limited, free service on top, especially when the free roaming is limited to one provider.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.charleroi-airport.com/en/sho ... 4b7e75eb93

Brussels South Charleroi today welcomed its 6 millionth passenger! The lucky passenger landed at Charleroi on a Ryanair flight from Teneriffe. M. Hugo Rijnen, his wife Anke and their daughter Anna were warmly welcomed by André Antoine, Walloon Minister responsible for airport policy, Laurent Levêque, Chairman of the Board of Directors and by Jean-Jacques Cloquet, BSCA’s Managing Director.

BSCA expects to see 6.4 million passengers in 2012. This is 500,000 more travellers than last year, and 1.5 million more than in 2010. You can currently fly to around 80 destinations in Europe and North Africa from BSCA.