spotting - choosing a good digital camera

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

SAB-OM

spotting - choosing a good digital camera

Post by SAB-OM »

I'm currently looking to buy a new digital camera.
Now I'm wondering what material you guys are using to get those nice shots.

A few days ago Birdy told me he was using the Olympus C-720 (3Megapix optical zoom x8)
The Newest model Olympus C-740 (3Mp opt.zoom x10 = 38mm-380mm, manual focus, manual whitebalance) looks good at a good price ($400-$500)
Especially the optical zoom is nice - to get those apron shots!

is 4Mp worth the extra price over 3Mp ?

I would like to get your comments - tips - recommendations..

did/am doing a lot of reading on this - as I'm not a experienced photographer
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C740/C74A.HTM

thanks,
filip

Andries

Post by Andries »

I don't really know anything about the Olympus series, but if you are willing to spend allot of money for a camera that wich you can use for a further 10 years, I'd recommend the Canon 10D.
This is an SLR camera, but fully digital and has a 6.2 MegaPixel sensor.
The disadvantages are the price (~2000€) and you have to buy your lenses too ... (28-300mm becomes 44-440mm on the 10D and costs ~400€)

Greetz,

EBOS
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

twan01

Post by twan01 »

Filip,

You can find all the information about digital camera's on www.dpreview.com

One thing you surely have to watch for when you buy a camera is the "shutter lag" This is the time between the moment you push the button, and the time the camera takes the picture. In "normal" photography this is maybe not so important, but in aviation action photography this can be sometimes very embarrassing. If you don't have the intention to print your pictures much larger than 20x30 than a 3 megapics is more than enough. However the price for a 4 or 5 mega is sometimes not that much more.

As "proffesional" I'm using Canon EOS 1v (analoog) and EOS 1 d (digital) These are realy the best for action photography, no shutter lag, changeable lenses, but oh so very expensive.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you would some further information, and if you have a minute, have a look at my website www.aroels-aerialphotography.be where you find a lot of aviation pictures as well analoog as digital.

Regards
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

twan01

Post by twan01 »

EBOS,

I agree that the Canon D10 is a good camera, but the evolution is digital photography is going so fast that I wonder if in 10 years we still will work with the same camera's.
10 years ago digital photography was almost unexcisting, look were we are now, and the end of the evolution isn't yet in sight.

But most important is taking good pictures, and as long as there is a good photographer, it doesn't matter that much what kind of camera you working with.

greetz
:D
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

SAB-OM

Post by SAB-OM »

thanks Twan & EBOS for the tips - will have a look at the specs
I'm afraid they are "just" out of my budget :cry:
but that gives me a good idea what to watch out for.

Filip

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Hi there
I use the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Almost no delay when you push the button.
5 Mega pixel. Made some nice shots with it and it's not too expensive for a good digital camera.
JC
[url]http://airborne_jc.skynetblogs.be/[/url]

arthurv

more general tips

Post by arthurv »

not aviation-related, but important if you're planning a digital camera in the more affordable 400-800 euro range:

* battery type: look for a camera that accepts 'standard' rechargable bateries (eg AA batteries) and not some vendor specific and often expensive battery pack. You can buy standard (rachargable) batteries anywhere, and you can have several sets of them with you.
* The number of 'megapixels' is not only important when you want to print larger sized posters, but also when you're using digital zooming a lot. eg. a 4.0 Mpixel allows you to 'digital zoom' further without loosing quality than a standard 2.0 Mpixel when taking a standardsized photograph. And I assume that zooming is very important when taking aviation pictures... and of course take one that has at least x3 optical zoom.
* the memory-card type: take a camera that accepts 'standard' memory cards. some camera vendors have vendor specific (and hence more expensibe) memory card types. Compactflash for example is a good and cheap standard. and you'll need more than the often standard supplied 16 or 32Mb card.

look on www.digicamshop.nl for a nice overview of digitacl camera's, including specifications.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hi guys,

Media Markt (in Brussels at the Basilix shopping) is currently offering two good cameras at an exceptionally low price of 199 €: The Nikon Coolpix 2500 (2 megapixels, optical zoom 3x, compact flash 8MB, Li-ion battery and battery reloader, USB, cables and software) and the Canon PowerShot A40 (2 megapixels, optical zoom 3x and digital 2x, video, compact flash 8MB)

You can even buy a Jenoptik JD3.3xz3 (3.3 megapixels, optical zoom 2x, 16MB internal memory, SD compatible, video, USB) for 149 €.

Who said digital cameras were expensive?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Hi all,

I have a good digital camera : The nikon Coolpix 3100. 3.2 MP, 3x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom, software, 16Mb CP-card, Video-cable, 2 rechargable batteries, recharger. Price = € 350 (Media Market, Basilix).

It's real good. For pictures I took, you can search in Airliners.net or Jetphotos or Planpictures (Rutger Leunen as Keyword) or my website.

Greeties,

Rutger

SAB-OM

Post by SAB-OM »

Well Thanks all for the nice tips and help !

I went for the Olympus C-740
and after 2 days at Brussels last week I'm very satisfied !!
the 10x optical zoom is the max !
3.2 Mp
128Mb memory card (new xD type) extra
for a newbie the foto's worked out very nice

I didn't go for Nikon because a friend of mine had big problems with the lens and apparently it's a known (big) problem with the coolpix !

Filip

Avro

Post by Avro »

I went for the Olympus C-740
Sounds great :wink:
How much did it cost (If I may ask :oops: ):?:

Bye
Chris 8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Chris,

Look above, first message of this thread: 400-500 €
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

:oops: Oops sorry didn't saw it :oops:

Chris

aerobel

Post by aerobel »

More on digicams: www.belgiumdigital.com

there are even some (digital-)spotters in the forums...

greetz
TOM