brussels airlines to New York!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

Re: brussels airlines to New York!

Post by tolipanebas »

Especially the return flight is much earlier than what it used to be and not really ideal, but then it's a real hastle to get a peak slot at JFK these days and 1715 is not a bad one either.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

If I'm correct it will be the earliest flight from the US to arrive in BRU...not ideal if you have a flight to AFI around 14h. But ok, I suppose they should be happy with the slot the have now...it's been a hard thing to get a suitable slot it seems...

Anyway...finally, after an era without a Belgian airline in NYC SN will be back. :D Wonder what'll be next (in 2013 I suppose, if JFK is succesfull): Boston or SFO or ... ? :mrgreen:

btw, on SN's website:
"Once arrived in New York, we assure you a great number of connecting flights to the rest of the United States & Canada."
Any idea about new codeshares (Jetblue for exemple)? As the American Star airlines are not so active in JFK... Or will they stick to the current codeshare partners (UA, US, AC) and maybe some extra interline agreements?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Why not provide the link itself?
After all, there's a webpage dedicated to the first transatlantic flight by SN on their homepage.

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/com/boo ... -city.aspx

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

tolipanebas wrote:And just as was said: flights to JFK on A330-300....
The press release (available on Luchtzak) says A330-300 or A330-200: "All flights will be operated with Airbus A330-300 or A330-200 aircraft."

The business class will be equipped with full flat beds. The seat configuration will be disclosed on the 10th of January, so stay tuned!

Only 5 minutes after SN launched JFK, people already booked flights from Marseille and Gothenburg via BRU to JFK. Wow! But of course, the prices are attractive (and even more so when you buy your ticket in the US).
André
ex Sabena #26567

fcw

Post by fcw »

sn26567 wrote: Only 5 minutes after SN launched JFK, people already booked flights from Marseille and Gothenburg via BRU to JFK. Wow! But of course, the prices are attractive .
The price is only attractive during June. I had a look for a flight in November: BruAir 640€, Jet Airways: 340!

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

sn26567 wrote:
tolipanebas wrote:And just as was said: flights to JFK on A330-300....
The press release (available on Luchtzak) says A330-300 or A330-200: "All flights will be operated with Airbus A330-300 or A330-200 aircraft."

The business class will be equipped with full flat beds. The seat configuration will be disclosed on the 10th of January, so stay tuned!

Only 5 minutes after SN launched JFK, people already booked flights from Marseille and Gothenburg via BRU to JFK. Wow! But of course, the prices are attractive (and even more so when you buy your ticket in the US).
Can I ask where you can see those info of the bookings?

Thanks

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

fcw wrote: The price is only attractive during June. I had a look for a flight in November: BruAir 640€, Jet Airways: 340!
The low priced tickets are flying out of the door I suppose and in the high season it's normal the prices are much higher. As from let's say halfway september until the end of IATA Summer 2012 you can still book the attractive 400 euro tickets. As from the start of the winter season prices are going up again indeed. If you look at the prices you can find rather cheap tickets in many periods...

And for Jet Airways, I find prices around 600 Euro (for JFK) for several dates in November... Only one-way tickets for 300-350 Euro... Or did I miss something?

shockcooling

Post by shockcooling »

fcw wrote:The price is only attractive during June. I had a look for a flight in November: BruAir 640€, Jet Airways: 340!
NOT true at all. Prices are attractive for the whole summer period, and not only BRU-JFK, but even from other EUR or AFI cities. Have just been checking a bit on some Flight Search websites, and SN comes most of the time in the cheapest options...
It looks good to me!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

SN is making itself popular all over Europe with these rather cheap flights (and the news that they will renew their interior) it seems... I expected to see mainly O&D traffic Belgium-New York and NYC-AFI transfer pax. But it seems pax from all over Europe are looking at SN because of their attractive prices.

Btw, nice analysis of SN on CAPA:
http://www.centreforaviation.com/analys ... rope-65334

Including some interesting tables and graphs. Like the one with the "Top 20 carriers between Europe and Central/West Africa (roundtrip seats)" (for 26 December- 1 January). Showing SN as the second airline with 13 609 roundtrip seats after Air France (41 864) and before British Airways (11 312). SN has a market share of 9% and AF 30%. But SN will narrow the gap, they will go to 12% in April 2012 and AF to 31% in the same period.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

And apparantly they will use Terminal 1 in JFK...

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

OO-ITR wrote:And apparantly they will use Terminal 1 in JFK...
I guess that's the terminal for Lufthansa? Or has *A an entire terminal?

dna

Post by dna »

Why not provide the link itself?
After all, there's a webpage dedicated to the first transatlantic flight by SN on their homepage.

Shame the airline can't get the time right for its own product!
The flights to New York will leave Brussels Airport every day at 10:20 pm, while our planes will take off in New york at 5:15 pm.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Treeper wrote:
OO-ITR wrote:And apparantly they will use Terminal 1 in JFK...
I guess that's the terminal for Lufthansa? Or has *A an entire terminal?
No, Star has no terminal at JFK (as there is a big absence of US star airlines in JFK). T1 is used by LH itself and OS (and SN will follow), together with many other international airlines. Also T4 has many international airlines, and LX is one of them. So even the LH group is not completely in the same terminal at JFK...

BTW, T1 was build thanks to the "Terminal One Group" in this group 4 big airline united and these are: Lufthansa, Air France, Japan Airlines and Korean Air. These 4 airlines got tired of the lacking infrastructure for international airlines at JFK at that time (late 80's-90's?) so they started with that terminal project.
Later also T4 (from where LX is operating) was build, the most important international terminal at JFK now (I think). It is managed by the Schiphol Group.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

In the press release they state that the flight will depart from the T-zone.

With 7 planes - I assume one will be spare aircraft (?) - this means 6 flights per day. Does this not give problems? How many gates are there right now in the T-zone. Or can they play around with flights leaving at different times of the day?

What if they will add flights in 2013 and 2014 as mentioned in other topics? Would it not be more logic to have the US flights in the B-zone? Or does that induce more costs?

Regards,
Danny

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

DannyVDB wrote:With 7 planes - I assume one will be spare aircraft (?) - this means 6 flights per day.
Don't forget there's yet another A332 to come early next year, so although not on every day of the week, you may say SN will have up to 7 long haul rotations a day next summer...
DannyVDB wrote:Does this not give problems? How many gates are there right now in the T-zone. Or can they play around with flights leaving at different times of the day?
SN has already de-triangled several flights and will do so even more in future, so in fact there's always at least 1 flight which will leave a couple of hours later than the others in order not to make it back to BRU in the middle of the night, so I suppose they will just keep that plane off gate till boarding time, thus using the gate of the first departure once more: that way there shouldn't be a need for more than 6 T gates, at least not for now...
DannyVDB wrote: What if they will add flights in 2013 and 2014 as mentioned in other topics? Would it not be more logic to have the US flights in the B-zone? Or does that induce more costs?
The aim is to have all SN flights in the same terminal: much easier for hubbing.
For that, the A terminal will need to be extended westwards, so the 'T section' can then be enlarged all without eating into the limited gate space of the Schengen flights. As you can see, BRU better start building asap, because their home carrier is about the outgrow the infrastructure of its home base. If I am not mistaken, construction is about to start on that project: maybe Atlantis (or somebody else) can give an update as to the timeframe of all these plans, because in summer season 2013, SN will already be flying with 9 widebodies: will BRU be ready?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Some newspapers claim that this will be the first transatlantic (NYC) service by a Belgian company since the demise of Sabena.
Wrong, of course : there has been VG Airlines in 2002, also with A330 (OO-SFQ/R/S).

N77014

Post by N77014 »

dna wrote:Why not provide the link itself?

The flights to New York will leave Brussels Airport every day at 10:20 pm, while our planes will take off in New york at 5:15 pm.
It has been changed to 10:20am now. But if you click on "more info", you get details of flights to Gothenburg. Does nobody at SN take the effort to check what they publish ? It does not look and feel very professional... :oops:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airlines registered over 600 bookings for its destination New York JFK in just 12 hours .
André
ex Sabena #26567

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

N77014 wrote:
dna wrote:Why not provide the link itself?

It has been changed to 10:20am now. But if you click on "more info", you get details of flights to Gothenburg. Does nobody at SN take the effort to check what they publish ? It does not look and feel very professional... :oops:
Yup, I've provided them the info via their Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/FlyingBrussels yesterday evening (the AM iso PM)(which they replied on this morning)(and I probably wasn't the only one) and just tweeted them 'bout the Gothenburg problem.

At least they're communicative with their Twitter, hè. ;)

I'm still looking for a date to undertake a citytrip to NYC, but I'm probably going mid September. looking forward to finally experience the long-haul treatment from SN.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

airazurxtror wrote:Some newspapers claim that this will be the first transatlantic (NYC) service by a Belgian company since the demise of Sabena.
Wrong, of course : there has been VG Airlines in 2002, also with A330 (OO-SFQ/R/S).
And after that, Jetairfly to Orlando...