Taxi's blocking Brussels Airport after police shot driver

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

BrightCedars

Re: Taxi's blocking Brussels Airport after police shot drive

Post by BrightCedars »

Reading some posts on the forum and soon everyone will be having to use Dutch to hail a cab from Brussels Airport to Brussels or Wallonia. It is still the national airport for the entire country and all its guests from around Europe and indeed the World. This only convinces me that Flanders should be let to go its own way and shoot itself in the foot. I am sick of the short sighted Flemish nationalist idiots blocking this country!

As for the event on topic, the customer is wrong to get on a cab at departures, the taxi is wrong to take a client, the taxi is definitely wrong to try to escape the police, moreover to end up with a policeman on its hood, the police is probably wrong to end up on the hood, and the shots fired at the taxi could clearly have caused much more devastation than they already did. Also, why don't the police just use a device that punctures tires laid on the road when they establish a checkpoint? Probably the Zaventem police is too smart to establish a traditional kind of checkpoint with the required equipment that guarantees the safety of all, including its own.

I am convinced that if the job had been done properly none of this would have happened.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

There is a MAFIA of airport's taxi in BRU, and this exists in many countries (PARIS is not bad in that category as well).
It is well known that many Brussel taxi are transporting people from airport to city and are refereed as "pirat taxis" moreover at very expensive fares. Many of those drivers are coming from the "Bruxellistan" and are often officially jobless, and thus do perceive jobless indemnity and still drive "in black". The people you saw demonstrating two days ago say it all...

I recognize this is harsh but it's reality and it is now widely spread by the Flemish press those days as this press is not censored by the extreme left / left French speaking parties.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

regi wrote:I am happy for you that you never had real issues. It is in contrast with my business contacts who regularly complain about very strange experiences.
Well, I did not really say this ;) I had my experiences in Brussels with Taxis as well. But actually not at the airport.

Just try to get into a taxi for example at Centre Borschette (Place Jourdan) and say you want to go to anywhere else than the airport ... forget it ... they will load you off at the next corner :shock: experienced that several times ... but again, things like this happen in other big European capitals as well
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Desert Rat wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:the time has indeed come to split up the country.
I fully agree...
wonderful idea, hey, and as you want to go down this road follow the Danish example and introduce boarder controls again after splittig the nice country up, best even between BRU/Zaventem and Brussels Capital Region, people will be pleased to wait for 20 minutes each direction to have their passports and baggage checked ... taxi drivers will of course have to offload pax in front of the boarder and the drivers from the other regions take them on again after the check point ... great idea ... THAT will solve all problems for sure ... :roll:
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Novastar

Post by Novastar »

BrightCedars wrote:Reading some posts on the forum and soon everyone will be having to use Dutch to hail a cab from Brussels Airport to Brussels or Wallonia. It is still the national airport for the entire country and all its guests from around Europe and indeed the World. This only convinces me that Flanders should be let to go its own way and shoot itself in the foot. I am sick of the short sighted Flemish nationalist idiots blocking this country!
When did this thread become political ? It's not being a short sighted Flemish nationalist idiot. It's called common sense and basic respect. I'm sick of the people blaming the Flemish (nationalists) for blocking this joke of a country.

thank you
Flown: A319 / 320 / 321 / 350 - B737 / 757 / 767 / 777 / 787 - MD11 - Fokker 50 - Fairchild SA-227

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

BrightCedars wrote:Reading some posts on the forum and soon everyone will be having to use Dutch to hail a cab from Brussels Airport to Brussels or Wallonia. It is still the national airport for the entire country and all its guests from around Europe and indeed the World. This only convinces me that Flanders should be let to go its own way and shoot itself in the foot. I am sick of the short sighted Flemish nationalist idiots blocking this country!
Wtf?

Flanders pays every year 11 BILLION euro to Wallonia and Brussels, so a little respect would be nice. If you think the current political problems are all the fault of the "evil Flemish", then you're the one who is short sighted.

Don't worry, it's only a matter of time.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Boavida wrote:
Don't worry, it's only a matter of time.
Time?

What are you waiting for?

Hurry up mate!

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Boavida wrote:[
Flanders pays every year 11 BILLION euro to Wallonia and Brussels, so a little respect would be nice..
11 Billions are not enough, we want more!

The more you pay, the less we have to work, so shut up and pay!

SN539

Post by SN539 »

Sorry, but the content of this topic becomes political and has nothing to do anymore with aviation.
I really regret this and suggest some intervention of the moderator.

Airplanes are called to fly above continents without boundaries restrictions ... and without place for closed minded people ...

Thank you in advance !

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Too much politics! www.luchtzak.be/rules

Topic closed!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sorry I have been absent this wholde day and could not intervene earlier when the discussion became too politic.

I am convinced that an intelligent solution could be found, in the same way as in Paris where the taxis of the City of Paris and unload AND PICK UP passengers in the airports located in the communes of Roissy-en-France (CDG) and Orly (ORY).

Unrealistic? It seems that (Flemish) Minister of the Brussels Region Brigitte Grouwels is ready to discuss the matter with her colleague from the Flemish Region. The solution would be applicable to both Brussels Airport (located in Flanders) and the HST terminal of Brussels South (Midi/Zuid) loated in the Brussels Region. Will common sense finally prevail?

I do not intend to reopen the discussion in this forum, but I am ready to reply to PMs on the topic.
André
ex Sabena #26567