No more deicing fluid at Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Homo Aeroportus

Re: No more deicing fluid at Brussels Airport

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Mavke wrote:The fluid , named Glycol is brought to brussels from Gent ...
Hi Ken,

Type I was based on Glycol but it has almost zero hold-over time and hence is not used for anti-icing, just de-icing.
Is the Type II or Type IV also based on Glycol?

Cheers,
H.A.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

http://www.wingsmagazine.com/content/view/1325/38/

Infrared Deicing: Giving glycol a run for its money
Attachments
infrared1.jpg
infrared1.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Isn't SAS test-using this at OSL too?

Poeli

Post by Poeli »

Also no de icing anymore at EBOS..
Free amazon gift cards each month!
http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=262147

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

being from the chemical industry :oops: I can tell you to my knowledge the production of the de-incing fluid is not THAT simple and there are actually only a handful of production plants in Europe doing this product (and as always in chemical industry you cannot simply raise or lower production, as you need certain input from other companies and processes which might not be available easily. So just being able to pay more will not always help. I know the producers are working with full capacity for some weeks now, but the demand is unusually high (because we have very wintry conditions more or less across ALL of Europe at the same time, which is very unusual) and the transport is indeed a problem too.

What is however surprising to me as well is that after the last winter, which was already quite cold for a long period, everybody promised to prepare better for this year. And what have they done??? We are not even on christmas eve, so just one quarter of the winter is over and already de-icing fluid is a problem at many airports, indeed not only BRU, and in many towns they claim already soon no salt for the roads will be left ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

jake99

Post by jake99 »

Mavke wrote:The fluid , named Glycol is brought to brussels from Gent ,

its brought to brussels in 100% and mixed up in brussels with water , aviapartner is equipped with trucks that can mix the glycol with water according the weather situation ( 25/75, 50/50, 75/25, 100 ) all this is done in max 2 minutes , without heating it up til 95 degrees ( 80 when leaving the truck )
other handlers have to mix it near the tanks and goes as fast as any other truck ....

ken
Mavke,

The hauler company is from Ghent,the ADF itself (ABAX) come's from Orly near Paris !!!!
It arrives in 22000 liter tanks at 100%

I can tell how much liters there are in brussels in stock(for the 3 company's),but it doesn't matter,as the supplier can't deliver,sooner or later you just ran out.

If the trucks are not allowed to drive,...
Last edited by jake99 on 20 Dec 2010, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

indeed, they said it's because france ban trucks during the snow. (and wallonia too).

need a 747 tanker ?

Also no de icing anymore at EBOS..
That's bad. It was one of the interesting alternative.

NCB

Post by NCB »

I rather think flightcare are provided with a concentrated fluid which is then thinned out by them, so it's a pitty indeed that they have run out of stock so soon.
Hahaha this is a good one. A concentrate that is thinned out, like orange juice from concentrates. :roll:
It gets mixed with water at application, but it never gets thinned out my friend.

You de-ice with hot water or hot type 2, or infrared like at some airports, then anti-ice with type 2.
Or you can de-anti-ice with type 4 with shorter hold-over times. Or de-ice with hot water and anti-ice with 100% type 4 with longer hold-over times.

Take note, because it's a shame for a pilot not to know this, especially since you have to suppose that the anti-icing guys can give you the wrong data for you to reference on your hold-over time table and you should be able to detect that something may not be right.

Hold-over times are longest with type 4, which is the most commonly used one in Northern Europe.
Major supplier of the product is kilfrost.

Technically speaking, SN could still AOG the fluid from somewhere and offer it to the handler for their use only. It would seem to be a lot cheaper to do that than to ground all the fleet for 2 or more days right before Christmas.
But if they elect not to do that, it means that it doesn't add up financially or logistically.

jake99

Post by jake99 »

regi wrote:Just a price matter. If you would like to have 200 T of glycol tomorrow afternoon delivered, you make 2 phonecalls: one to the supplier and another to your financial director that he has to approve the immediate money transfer towards the supplier.
It is such a common product that it is widely available.
Interesting remark about the Munich recycling activity. Such operation would require huge investment in the form of collecting, filtering, storing etc. A huge investment for a situation that is very rare at Brussels.
By the way, because of airport problems in other European countries, it has little use to keep Brussels open.
Good for the hotels.
You really doesn't have a clue how this (de-icing,supply,...) works.
I't aint that simple a'm affraid.

NCB

Post by NCB »

When you get fed from the hand, you think that everything comes to you by itself.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Tolipanebas wrote: Maybe it's just me, but I think all BRU-based airlines should be really outrageous for seeing wasted precious liquids on those occasional visitors up to this morning even, while being faced with a potential shut down for almost 2 days at worse now...
Tolipanebas, you make that sound like you have inside information on the price paid by those occasional visitors. I'll agree with you that it would have been rather stupid to let the precious stuff go at list price, given the situation and the forecasts.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 20 Dec 2010, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

NCB wrote:Technically speaking, SN could still AOG the fluid from somewhere and offer it to the handler for their use only.
That can only work if it is AVAILABLE at all. We have somehow forgot in many areas that products actually need to be produced first, before they can be bought and used and surprisingly not everything is always available everywhere, not even for lot of money ;) Now everybody is crying 'how can this happen'? But listen what the very same people will say if a chemical company plans to enlarge their production capacity in the neighbourhood of the very same people :shock:
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

If I' m not wrong, at LGG, TNT are having their own tanks and several spraying equipments. They also services other companies since they have a handling license.
Kilfrost is produced in Newcastel and Safewing (Clariant) in Germany.
Products have also a limited shelf live.
If you look at road cleaning, several towns and communes are also short of salt.
Last edited by liege-bierset on 20 Dec 2010, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

tolipanebas wrote:I don't have a clue where the fluid is coming from, but I doubt it is delivered readily usable to the airport.
If it would, there would have to be a constant convoy of trucks heading up and down to that factory, given it can take up to half a truck to de-ice a single narrow body, and about 1 to 2 trucks to de-ice a single widebody.
AFAIK about 1.200 litres of Glycol is being used to de-ice a narrowbody and arround 2.000 Litres for a wide body. This is if the de-icing is done well, ofcourse you can use up to 10.000 litres of Glycol for a widebody but then you are doing something wrong.

The Glycol (Ethylene or Propylene Glycol) has a density of 1.13 or 1.03 tonnes per m³ so this means that an avarage tanker (truck/trailer) carries a load of about 27.000 litres of Glycol.

So with one tanker you should be able to de-ice about 20 narrow bodies or 12 wide bodies (taken some spill in account).

if they don't use 100% of Glycol but a percentage like 75/25 they should be able to de-ice even more planes with a single load.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

regi wrote:Just a price matter. If you would like to have 200 T of glycol tomorrow afternoon delivered, you make 2 phonecalls: one to the supplier and another to your financial director that he has to approve the immediate money transfer towards the supplier
Unfortunately sometimes money doesn't buy everything... For instance I've been calling arround Europe to have 50 to 100 tons of road salt delivered regardless of the costs... Did I receive even a single grain of salt? Nothing... Even the 40 tonnes ordered before the temperatures dropped they haven't delivered...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

NCB wrote:
I rather think flightcare are provided with a concentrated fluid which is then thinned out by them, so it's a pitty indeed that they have run out of stock so soon.
Hahaha this is a good one. A concentrate that is thinned out, like orange juice from concentrates. :roll:
It gets mixed with water at application, but it never gets thinned out my friend.
Actually the product IS thinned out, but it is apparantly already done so at the production plant and then shipped out. :roll:
Last edited by tolipanebas on 20 Dec 2010, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

NCB wrote:Hold-over times are longest with type 4, which is the most commonly used one in Northern Europe.
Actually, to correct Mr Know-it-all once more...

Type 4 is al but officially banned by most airlines (including SN) as it has a habit of drying out and freezing on, thus blocking flight controls! Only in very remote conditions where hold over times with type 2 are not sufficient can it be considered for occasional use, if available.

So much for the most commonly used fluid, but then what does a pilot know, right?

I've told you before, there's only so much knowlegde to get from reading the net, some thing you actually only known from doing... and then you're ignorance shows.

NCB

Post by NCB »

SN does get type 4 my friend and MX is cleaning it up all the anti-icing so often, that you don't have a clue.
It's not often applied as 100% but when it's below -20 degrees, it has to be type 4.

Also at major airport where there are multiple de-icing pads, type 4 is necessary because well, if you have 2 heavy's taking off in front of you, you already get tight on the HOT.
Last edited by NCB on 20 Dec 2010, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

cnc

Post by cnc »

as far as i know type 2 is mostly used (at BRU) ranging from 50/50 to 100%.
i have also never seen a deicing with plain hot water and i doubt BIAC would like it since it would make ops on the tarmac dangerous

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

ROTFL.

We're not, NCB... were not.

The use of type 4 needs to be avoided by company policy whenever possible and it is only very very rarely used by SN crews and rightfully so.

The one not having a clue is clearly you, as this example here clearly shows.