Question about flying to the UK

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

VEX802

Question about flying to the UK

Post by VEX802 »

Hello,

I'm planning to fly with EZY next year to LPL. In that period my international passport will not be valid anymore.
My question: is it nowadays possible to fly solely with a national ID-card (as a Belgian citizen) to the UK or do I need to renew my international passport?

Thanks for your answers!

VEX802

theeuropean

Re: Question about flying to the UK

Post by theeuropean »

I am not sure...I have used my Belgian ID on the Eurostar - but always used my passport while flying...so I'm really not sure :s

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

You can travel (which includes flying) with a national ID-card issued by an EU member State to any EU member State + Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Lichtentstein, Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican, San Marino (forgot a country ?). SInce Liverpool is in the UK which is (still) in the EU, your Belgian national ID-card will be OK.
In favor of quality air travel.

VEX802

Post by VEX802 »

Air Key West wrote:You can travel (which includes flying) with a national ID-card issued by an EU member State to any EU member State + Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Lichtentstein, Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican, San Marino (forgot a country ?). SInce Liverpool is in the UK which is (still) in the EU, your Belgian national ID-card will be OK.
Ok, thanks for the update!

regi

Post by regi »

I use my Belgian ID to fly to the UK. But I have kept my international pasport always ready in case of ...
It is always possible that you stumble upon a BAA relic who forgot some details of his basic training. :)

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

I rarely fly international any more, but used to travel to Europe on business once or twice a month (30 years ago) so my knowledge of current regulations is limited.

Does not the EU allow for travel within the EU without passports?

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

smokejumper wrote: Does not the EU allow for travel within the EU without passports?
Yes (and no).

If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are traveling from one EU country to another.

Exceptions: you must still show a valid ID card or passport when traveling to or from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. Though part of the EU, these countries do not belong to the passport-free Schengen area.

Better keep an ID with you, in case you are stopped by police, when you want to rent a car etc..

bxleu

Post by bxleu »

You can always check the info on the following website re: documents you need when travelling to another EU country:
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

Belgian ID card is enough

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:
smokejumper wrote: Does not the EU allow for travel within the EU without passports?
Yes (and no).

If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are traveling from one EU country to another.

Exceptions: you must still show a valid ID card or passport when traveling to or from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. Though part of the EU, these countries do not belong to the passport-free Schengen area.

Better keep an ID with you, in case you are stopped by police, when you want to rent a car etc..
Thank you for detailing this. It was a surprise for me to read that Ireland is no member - as I wrongly assumed.
I learned a bit about the background and you find quite some funny stuff here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_countries

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

eurojet wrote:Belgian ID card is enough
Confirmed. Did it last week.

VEX802

Post by VEX802 »

Acid-drop wrote:
With airplane or Eurostar?

greetings

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Confirmed I saw at least 10 people last time I flew BRU-MAN clearing UK immigration with their Belgian ID.

Regards,
Ems

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

VEX802 wrote:
Acid-drop wrote:
With airplane or Eurostar?

greetings
no differences here; travel documents you either need to cross the border into a country or you do not need them; regardless of the type of travel you choose (the enforcement may vary, but the rules are the same).

And yes, of course ID is fine.
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer