100% match reclaim and luggage tag

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

100% match checks reclaim tags with luggage tags upon exiting the reclaim belts area?

YES
50%
NO
19%
NOT ALL THE TIME
31%
OTHER
No votes

Total votes: 16

SN_fan

100% match reclaim and luggage tag

Post by SN_fan »

Are there more people who are worried that someone else could take your luggage from the baggage reclaim belt and leave with ? accidentally or by thieves ? The EU could maybe issue a directive for a 100% match of the reclaim tags and the luggage tags upon exiting the reclaim area. This could be simply done, just put one security guard or even a regular employee beside security staff that is already standing at the exit with a scanning device, scanning the reclaim tags and then the luggage tags and voila match done.
Do you guys think there should be installed something like this in every airport or at least in the EU ?

Thanks for your opinions !

Stij

Re: 100% match reclaim and luggage tag

Post by Stij »

In China this is standard procedure. And even at à smaller airport as xiamen, where there are less pax then in bru, this Lears sometimes to delays whereas 3 or 4 people are checking Bags.

I thinking this proposal would lead to even more delays at our bagagereclaims to solve à problem that's actually very Small.

Cheers,

Stij

earthman

Post by earthman »

This can be somewhat automated by using RFID (already in use for luggage tags anyway) and other technologies, for example by checking that the luggage and reclaim tags passing through match, and warn the staff if they don't.

I can actually imagine a system where you walk up to a random luggage carousel, scan your tag(s), and the system sends your luggage to that carousel. This of course only can work with automated luggage systems, but still, it would be nice.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

Well the automated luggage systems would be nice as then no "regular" passenger can tamper with your bag (eg put drugs into it and wait for you to pass customs ), but i think it would be very expensive to install such systems.

regi

Post by regi »

First of all: we should ask ourselves the question how much luggage disappears because somebody else took your bag.
Are there any statistics available?

The RFID solution is one thing, but there are also other possebilities.
Invisable bar code application with a spray containing metal particles e.g.

Problem with paper tags is that some disappear during handling, some older tags still hang on the suitcases, the tags + ink have to be water resistant in case an uncovered chariot stands some time in the rain.
Imagine that you have to prove it is your suitcase, but the tag has gone.

Control:
just as Stijn mentioned the Chinese situation of checking every body , this just leads to more delay. And we know Stijn his obsession to break his record to escape Zaventem. ;)

I am really fed up about all those checks, security, rising airport taxes. Such a luggage controls will only increase the handling costs.
I had already some flights where all the luggage was put on the tarmac and all passengers had to hand pick their bags before boarding.
It even happened once that we all got on board, and had to get outside again, to do such a tarmac check. Forgot which airline, some years ago.

Maybe is the N'djili luggage retrieval more secure ? :?

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

Well if I read articles about airlines who lost luggages of customers I always ask myself the question if part of it is because of theft. But I don't think there are statistics about it as a lost luggage will be equal to a stolen one for the statistics.

At check-in normally the older tags should be removed if those are still on them so that shouldn't give a problem. But even if there are older tags on it a human being (even a student could do this check and inform security staff, who're already present now, when problem arise) will scan the correct one.
In case the tags are not on the luggage anymore, something that won't happen that often, they could give sufficient evidence of ownership by eg opening the luggage if it's locked or describing the content.
and if you don't have the reclaim tags you can prove it with your ID as your name is on the luggage tag

In China do they check it manually or with readers? Because I think that with readers it shouldn't cause huge delays. And if you put clear signs at the reclaim belt people unaware of this check will have the time to search for their reclaim tags while waiting for the luggage to arrive.

I think Syrian airlines do 9 out of 10 times a baggage check before people are allowed on the plane.
But all those checks are part of the airline industry. On a train for example your luggage stays with you so you can guard it.
And how much would it cost ?

Let asume 2 people during 8 hours of the day and 4 during 16 hours for the busy period (or isn't this sufficient). So a total of 10 people a day. let's assume you have a team of 15 people (if you're not ok with it, just reply) as this isn't skilled labour I think you can say it would cost 3000 euro each month for the airport.

total cost per year would then be: 3000 x 12 x 15 = 540 000 euro. Let's divide it by 10MIO pax would come down to a increase in handling cost of 0,054 euro. OK small increases make a big one. But I would be happy to pay 6 cent to be sure my bag doesn't leave the building with someone else.

And what is the "N'djili luggage retrieval" ? :)

regi

Post by regi »

yes, but...
look, it is all so simple to talk about. But imagine, you are Mr. Chin, a Chinese business man flying Swissair and arriving at Brussels, after a connection through Zurich. You are stressed and exhausted, and eventually you get your bag. Great ! Than such a low paid airport guy says something that you don't understand . "TAG. TAG. TAG. "
WTF, TAG? You show your passport and you are such a guy who removed 10 meters away those sticky tags from your neat Chinese passport . So no more tags.
But a low paid uniformed airport guy smells his bonus. ( they will get bonusses on how many bad guys they can catch, otherwise they won't work at all ) . So suddenly Mr. Chin finds himself in a situation where he doesn't understand what this uniformed guy wants- because this uniformed guy is so lowly educated he can hardly speak anything else than a local language. Certainly not Mandarin or even decent English.
This matter will get solved after some time, let us say at least half an hour or what, with customs, police and all the lot.
Result: Mr. Chin hates Brussels, Europeans, just any white guy. The security guy will hate Mr. Chin because he was no real thief but just a guy who threw away the tags on his passport and therefor he missed his bonus. Police got stressed and ennoyed about the 2. And the driver of the company who comes to pick up Mr. Chin has lost 1 hour extra parking time.
This will happen every day, again and again.
You think I am exagerating? It can get much worse:
Replace Mr. Chin who respects uniforms automatically by Mrs. Mpenza who comes back at Brussels after a family visit from Kinshasha. She has her periods, is exhausted as well, was ripped of at departure at N'djili and here again, one or other low life uniformed creature wants something from her, he touches her bags. Airport police again, an arrest because of something with a flying handbag, nervous family outside getting upset because they hear nothing about dear mom, all for nothing.
Please, no more extra checks.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

@ Regi: Nice ! :)

But wouldn't a business man understand signs/pictures at the reclaim belt and at the exit. even Mrs Mpenza should be able to understand pictures and seeing other people passing the check.
But those lowly educated people wouldn't be paid a bonus (random checks perform by mystery guests would be sufficient to see if they do they work).
Belgium/EU isn't a police state or a highly alert status country that would arrest people for these things. It's not to arrest people that this check would be in place. If we had to arrest all those people who take liquids through security screening....

But indeed you're right about handluggage that will create problems unless they would also be tagged .
But how do they do it in China ?

regi

Post by regi »

Some checks have disappeared, but are still in my mind as extremely strange, stressful.
In 1990 at Tan Son Nhat I had to fill in a paper about all my imperialistic belongings I brought in the communist paradise of the people's republic of Vietnam. The form was in Russian, Vietnamese and German, printed on X-time recycled paper. No English. Blink blink :shock: . OK, my school German was sufficient to fill in the form. But the questions were translated in strange vocabulary and grammar.
A Russian engineer of the oil fields advised me to put the serial nr. of every electric device on the form. I wrote down also the serial nr. of my reflex camera :?:
Three weeks later, going through customs, every piece of my luggage was checked with the form. Guess what, they asked to see my camera. And they checked the serial nr. Ok, no problem.
If I had not talked accidentally to that Russian engineer I would have lost my expensive reflex camera.
Not because those Vietnamese customs were gready, corrupt guys. No, just because I was breaking their regulations that "everybody" knows about.
Who still fills in forms with serial nrs of laptops, camera's, cell phones?
I don't want those days to come back. Please, no more checks.

regi

Post by regi »

SN_fan wrote:@ Regi: Nice ! :)

But wouldn't a business man understand signs/pictures at the reclaim belt and at the exit. even Mrs Mpenza should be able to understand pictures and seeing other people passing the check.
But those lowly educated people wouldn't be paid a bonus (random checks perform by mystery guests would be sufficient to see if they do they work).
Belgium/EU isn't a police state or a highly alert status country that would arrest people for these things. It's not to arrest people that this check would be in place. If we had to arrest all those people who take liquids through security screening....

But indeed you're right about handluggage that will create problems unless they would also be tagged .
But how do they do it in China ?
Stijn, can you answer the Chinese issue question please?

Stij

Post by Stij »

In China it's simple: You collect your luggage, you pass customs and finally, as a second check, there are a couple of uniformed agents that say in perfect English "Luggage Tags please"(The only WEnglish they know, apart form "Just a moment"). You show them your tags, they verify every suitcase and of you go. Hand luggage is not checked.

That's the basic principle, but sometimes a serious queue is formed (especially when you have to change terminals with bags in PEK for a connection). People don't find their tags fast, or threw them away (For a lot of pax in China this IS their first flight).

I mean, imagine family Janssens or Dupont returning from their annual holiday in Antalya. The kids hijacked the luggage trolley with the bags and are racing to see uncle. aunt and the rest of the family blocking the arrival area. They get stopped by the uniformed agent (or the automatic RFID system) and are asked for the luggage tags. Reply: "The f*ck*ng what???" OK, a minute or so later mommy and daddy arrive and the same question is asked again. The same reply is given. The agaent explains that they received some smaal sticky papaers at check-in. The reply "Oh those things they glued on the paper we needed to get into the "vlieger"!". Now let's say they didn't leave them in the plane. The "Jetair"travel bag is openede and between the suncream, the "Het Laatste Nieuws" or "La Meuse", the "Officialy sunburned hat" and the fake Ray Ban sunglasses the tags are found! Jippie!!! The bags are checked and our happy family can now meet and greet their family... and completely block the exit in doing so. Now you were they guy returning from Göteborg with a suitcase waiting behind them.

You think I exagerate? Ask ANY crewmember, check-in agent or handling agent and they'll confirm: a lot of the pax theck in their brains together with their luggage. They don't think logic any more and can't read signs or hear announcements.

Question: how many people on this forum had their bags stolen (on purpose or mistake) from the arrivals area?

Cheers,

Stij

PS Returned this weekend form holidays in BRU. Aviapartner was giving more evidence of their capability to switch on the "delayed luggage" sign. What's wrong there? There weren't so many planes on the tarmac...

regi

Post by regi »

Thank you Stijn for the swift reply.
You also see a lot of extra troubles, and repeat the same major question:
what is the statistic about stolen luggage ?

Btw: no new speed record getting out of Zaventem? :)

Flanders

Post by Flanders »

Stij wrote:In China this is standard procedure.
I've been travelling to and between PEK, SHA, PVG, HKG numerous times but can't remember additional checks. Did you experience this before or after the Olympics? Perhaps it's not done all day long?
regi wrote:I am really fed up about all those checks
regi wrote:Please, no more extra checks.
I do understand.
regi wrote:Than such a low paid airport guy says something that you don't understand
regi wrote:But a low paid uniformed airport guy smells his bonus.
regi wrote:one or other low life uniformed creature wants something from her
But to me this is over the edge! How rude!
Stij wrote:The agaent explains that they received some smaal sticky papaers at check-in
If you don't have them anymore, that's no problem at all! I experienced it once in MNL, didn't have the tags anymore so they compared the name on my passport with the luggage tag and I was ready to go, took us 5 seconds!

Stij

Post by Stij »

Flanders wrote: I've been travelling to and between PEK, SHA, PVG, HKG numerous times but can't remember additional checks. Did you experience this before or after the Olympics? Perhaps it's not done all day long?
Before and after. However, I can't remember that it's always. It could be that it's only on domestic flights. Or only in certain airports. However, I can guarantee that it's always bingo in Xiamen and the new terminal of PEK on domestic arivals.

About the lost labels and the pasport: fine when you're an experienced traveler who has his pasport always ready in 3.2 seconds, but a lot of our fellow passengers aren't. I can imagine my ex-girlfriend needing more then a minute to find it back in that cave of a purse she carries around. ;-) No offence ladies.

Cheers,

Stijn

earthman

Post by earthman »

Quite a lot of people seem to find it normal to stand in a queue where a certain item (ticket, passport, receipt) must be shown, only to spend the next X minutes searching for said item once it is their turn, surprised and all.

I don't think passengers check in their brain with their luggage, as that would require them to have had one to begin with.

I do see a possibility to match rfid luggage tags to the rfid chips in new ID cards and passports.

It is of course much cheaper (and quicker) for airports to just dump all luggage on a belt and hope for the best, however in most other situations where you leave your luggage or other items and get a receipt, you only get your belongings back after handing over the receipt. This is the normal procedure in wardrobes, automated parkings, a lot of other places. Airports are a bit of an exception.

regi

Post by regi »

earthman wrote:Quite a lot of people seem to find it normal to stand in a queue where a certain item (ticket, passport, receipt) must be shown, only to spend the next X minutes searching for said item once it is their turn, surprised and all.

I don't think passengers check in their brain with their luggage, as that would require them to have had one to begin with.

I do see a possibility to match rfid luggage tags to the rfid chips in new ID cards and passports.

It is of course much cheaper (and quicker) for airports to just dump all luggage on a belt and hope for the best, however in most other situations where you leave your luggage or other items and get a receipt, you only get your belongings back after handing over the receipt. This is the normal procedure in wardrobes, automated parkings, a lot of other places. Airports are a bit of an exception.
You have a point. We undergo all these safety checks. Luggage is heavely controlled for explosives, drugs,...But when we retrieve our luggage, it is controlled less than at wardrobes, as you stated.
A bit of a contradicton in the system. Anyhow, I just hope that - if they would start such a controls - they would do it as you suggest with automated systems. And just let us hope it won't increase the costs or take more of our precious time.

regi

Post by regi »

Flanders wrote:
Stij wrote:In China this is standard procedure.
I've been travelling to and between PEK, SHA, PVG, HKG numerous times but can't remember additional checks. Did you experience this before or after the Olympics? Perhaps it's not done all day long?
regi wrote:I am really fed up about all those checks
regi wrote:Please, no more extra checks.
I do understand.
regi wrote:Than such a low paid airport guy says something that you don't understand
regi wrote:But a low paid uniformed airport guy smells his bonus.
regi wrote:one or other low life uniformed creature wants something from her
But to me this is over the edge! How rude!
Stij wrote:The agaent explains that they received some smaal sticky papaers at check-in
If you don't have them anymore, that's no problem at all! I experienced it once in MNL, didn't have the tags anymore so they compared the name on my passport with the luggage tag and I was ready to go, took us 5 seconds!
Yes Flanders, it is rude and over the edge. But it is based on a very humiliating, wrong handling by BAA staff at Heathrow who think they are MI5 or MI6 , but performed the standard procedure completely wrong. I was saved by the real police who sent away the BAA guy to get retraining. ( words of the police man )
I hate people who think they have power just because they wear a uniform, but who are not entitled to do police work.
Example: a shoplifter caught by security. The security guy has no right at all to touch the shoplifter. He can ask him to go back inside. But if the shoplifter decides it is time to go home, nobody is allowed to stop this person physically. Reason: the stolen goods don't belong to that security guy.
Other example: those local semi police people. I witnessed a young chap being stopped by such a "hulp agent" in the city center because he was driving his bicycle in a pedestrian zone ( while it was very calm) . She asked the guy his ID, and wanted to call a real cop to make a fine. I said to the young guy: "piss off, this is not a real cop. Just go away, nothing will happen to you" He looked at me, smiled and drove off. The semi-cop was furiated against me. I told her to call her real colleague and try to explain which law I had trespassed. She gave up and walked away. It is not my fault that this kind of people is not able to get a real job. And if they cannot stand the criticism after they abuse their uniform, they have to live with it.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

regi wrote:
Example: a shoplifter caught by security. The security guy has no right at all to touch the shoplifter. He can ask him to go back inside. But if the shoplifter decides it is time to go home, nobody is allowed to stop this person physically. Reason: the stolen goods don't belong to that security guy.
Other example: those local semi police people. I witnessed a young chap being stopped by such a "hulp agent" in the city center because he was driving his bicycle in a pedestrian zone ( while it was very calm) . She asked the guy his ID, and wanted to call a real cop to make a fine. I said to the young guy: "piss off, this is not a real cop. Just go away, nothing will happen to you" He looked at me, smiled and drove off. The semi-cop was furiated against me. I told her to call her real colleague and try to explain which law I had trespassed. She gave up and walked away. It is not my fault that this kind of people is not able to get a real job. And if they cannot stand the criticism after they abuse their uniform, they have to live with it.
OFF TOPIC: This statement is appalling !! Maybe legally correct, but socially totally unacceptable !

Stij

Post by Stij »

Regi, don't, I repeat, don't move to the USA! You'll be dead before you know it. ;-) You have a point though, people in uniforms tend to abuse power.

@SN_fan, sure, off topic, but socially unacceptable? Or we stretch the laws a bit and in that case she shouldn't have stopped the cyclist as he wasn't bothering anybody because it was calm. Or we follow the laws stict, in which case she should have informed him that she couldn't do anything. Honestly, I'm fed up as well of these zero-tolerance traffic wanne-be-cops (hulpagenten), city guards (stadswachten) and private parking guards. If I know a (legal) way to obstruct them I do it.

Cheers,

Stij

regi

Post by regi »

Stij wrote:Regi, don't, I repeat, don't move to the USA! You'll be dead before you know it. ;-) You have a point though, people in uniforms tend to abuse power.

@SN_fan, sure, off topic, but socially unacceptable? Or we stretch the laws a bit and in that case she shouldn't have stopped the cyclist as he wasn't bothering anybody because it was calm. Or we follow the laws stict, in which case she should have informed him that she couldn't do anything. Honestly, I'm fed up as well of these zero-tolerance traffic wanne-be-cops (hulpagenten), city guards (stadswachten) and private parking guards. If I know a (legal) way to obstruct them I do it.

Cheers,

Stij
I keep your advice in mind about the USA.( and I think we can extend it to quite some other countries as well such as Mexico, Peru, Brasil,... )
I might have gone a bit off topic, but it shows that all those controls, checks, so called security are utterly useless, stressful, costly and even counter productive. ( because the security services think that they are safe but behind their back all kind of other things happen )
The best examples are 9/11 and the shoe+underwear bombers. If they really want it, they achieve their goal.

Another good example of useless and counter productive security is the Tu-154 bombing, because the female terrorist bribed the security...see wikipedia article:

On the day of the bombings the bombers were stopped in the airport by the police captain Mikhail Artamonov to be searched for weapons and for identification. They were accompanied by two male Chechens, the four of them arrived to Moscow on a flight from Makhachkala. According to the prosecution, Artamonov let them go without doing the search, and has been charged with criminal negligence. The prosecution asked the judge to give him 6 years of imprisonment, and on June 30, 2005 he was convicted of negligence and sentenced to 7 years of imprisonment. That sentence has been appealed, and the court has reduced the term of his imprisonment from 7 to 6 years.[5]

According to investigators, ticket seller Armen Aratyunyan was bribed approximately €140 (US$170) to sell tickets to the two women without getting proper IDs. Aratyunyan also helped Dzhebirkhanova to bribe the ticket-checking clerk, Nikolai Korenkov, with €25 (US$30), to get on board without a proper ID. On April 15, 2005, Aratyunyan and Korenkov were convicted of giving and taking the bribe respectively. Because of serious consequences of the bribe, they have been sentenced to 1.5 years in settlement colony each (settlement colony convicts have more rights and privileges than people in regular colony).