CO/UA merger: a done deal.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TexasGuy

Re: CO/UA merger: a done deal.

Post by TexasGuy »

Dont know about additional service on existing routes, but i know they are planning on moving ahead with additional EU and Mideast flying from IAH. This was in the plans before any merger deal and seems to have been placed on a face track. Keep your eyes open ;)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

A US investment bank has indicated that United's existing Airbus orders could become casualties of the planned tie-up between Continental and United. Continental is a real "Boeing-only" airline and it has even a 20 year exclusivity deal with Boeing. And because of that, there are doubts that the new United will go trough with the deal for 25 A350's. The A350 will be an extra type of aircraft in the fleet but it would be in the minority and Continental seems not to happy with that.
But Airbus believes the merger will have no impact on the order of United for these A350's. And Continental/United doesn't said that they will go further with a Boeing only fleet.
But it's clear there are serious doubts in the US about the future of Airbus planes in the "new United". I'm not really a Airbus fan, but I would be a bit dissapointed if United will never fly the A350. The A350 is bigger than the B787 and I think it would make chance to operate the EWR-BRU route and maybe IAD or even ORD in the future, altough CO also ordered the B789 wich is also bigger than the B788.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... erger.html

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

MR_Boeing wrote:A US investment bank has indicated that United's existing Airbus orders could become casualties of the planned tie-up between Continental and United. Continental is a real "Boeing-only" airline and it has even a 20 year exclusivity deal with Boeing. And because of that, there are doubts that the new United will go trough with the deal for 25 A350's. The A350 will be an extra type of aircraft in the fleet but it would be in the minority and Continental seems not to happy with that.
But Airbus believes the merger will have no impact on the order of United for these A350's. And Continental/United doesn't said that they will go further with a Boeing only fleet.
But it's clear there are serious doubts in the US about the future of Airbus planes in the "new United". I'm not really a Airbus fan, but I would be a bit dissapointed if United will never fly the A350. The A350 is bigger than the B787 and I think it would make chance to operate the EWR-BRU route and maybe IAD or even ORD in the future, altough CO also ordered the B789 wich is also bigger than the B788.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... erger.html
If the combined carrier is going for an all Boeing fleet or an 'as much as possible' Boeing fleet, Boeing might have a nice 737NG order looming around for UACO to progressively replace UA's A320 fleet, starting with the oldest (1993) planes...

By the time this replacement is done, the company could start replacing the CO 737's by the then probably available succeeder of the 737NG.

But, all in all, I don't think the current Airbus fleet is going anywhere soon... The A350 might indeed be in danger, especially if Boeing is going forward with the B787-10...

fretn

Post by fretn »

Keep in mind that the new board is 50/50, and i don't think that they will choose sides in the near future.
the next years are going to be consolidation. + the subfleets are big enough not to have a penalty in comparison to very small subfleets.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

fretn wrote:Keep in mind that the new board is 50/50, and i don't think that they will choose sides in the near future.
the next years are going to be consolidation. + the subfleets are big enough not to have a penalty in comparison to very small subfleets.
The A320 fleet is very big indeed (and we have to wait what will happen with TED and their 53 A320's in service...) but the A350 fleet would be a rather small subfleet, esp. if UA will not take up the 50 options they have.

I really think if Boeing comes with 787-10, the A350 is a candidate to be cancelled by UA.

cnc

Post by cnc »

somehow i have no fait in boeing producing a 787-1000 but go for a T7 replacement instead that also covers the 787-1000 seating so i believe we'll see the A350 in service with UA/CO

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

cnc wrote:somehow i have no fait in boeing producing a 787-1000 but go for a T7 replacement instead that also covers the 787-1000 seating so i believe we'll see the A350 in service with UA/CO
Boeing said they are looking at a 777 replacement and that would make the 787-10 not needed they say. So if Boeing sees that a new 777 has a better future than the 787-10 than we will indeed don't see the 787-10.

Small detail "cnc", it is B787-8, B787-9 and B787-10, not B787-800, B787-900 and B787-1000. ;)

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

Conti764 wrote:The A320 fleet is very big indeed (and we have to wait what will happen with TED and their 53 A320's in service...)
TED is dead :wink: All their A320's have been or will be configured back to standard UA F & Y seat configuration.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Hmm.. It seems that the Merger site has a bit been updated... No "Zaventem" anymore but "Brussels" instead...

Not 2 direct flights ex-BRU but 4 flights...

# Direct Destinations (4)
# EWR Newark Liberty International Airport @ Newark, NJ
# IAD Washington Dulles International Airport @ Washington, DC
# LHR Heathrow Airport
# ORD Chicago O'Hare International Airport @ Chicago, IL

If this is correct then we can assume that the winter BRU-LHR service will start up again...

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Continental just officially announced Houston-Auckland nonstop service using B787. Im curious with this 1. I had heard it would start in 2012, but they are planning on operating it starting in 2011. This is 1 of 12 new longhaul INTL destinations planned to be served nonstop from Houston where the bulk of the new B787 fleet will be based. I thought for sure it would be atleast 2 Middle Eastern destinations along with JoBurgh in 2011. Things that make you go hmmmm :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Continent ... l?x=0&.v=1

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

It seems that United gave in to the pressure regarding the logo, yesterday they released a revised logo (Though Smisek said a couple of weeks ago they wouldn't change it, not matter how much pressure)

The new and much better logo:

hvs89

Post by hvs89 »

Hello,
I just found an interesting link about CO/UA's future livery.
United Airlines and Continental Airlines have unveiled the new visual branding and livery they will employ after their proposed merger is completed.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... rline.html

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Glad they're keeping the beautiful and unique CO tail!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

sn26567 wrote:Glad they're keeping the beautiful and unique CO tail!
You mean the old, outdated and ugly CO tail? :mrgreen:

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

The merger has been definately approved by the US Department of Justice on friday august 27. The DOJ only had 1 issue with EWR but UA managed to solve this by leasing 18 slots to WN.

On September 17 the shareholders will decide about the merger and then the merger is final, at least this means that they can start to integerate Continental into United and file for a single AOC which will be expected somewhere early 2012.

The merger will be quite fast visible, every CO plane that will be delivered starting from September will carry the "United" titles allready.

fretn

Post by fretn »

too bad they ditchet the tulip!
someone on airliners posted a brilliant combination of the globe & tulip!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

UAL, Continental shareholders approve merger

* UAL, Continental shareholders OK merger

* New carrier to be world's largest

* Merger expected to close around Oct 1

* UAL and Continental shares down slightly

Full article from Reuters
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

As planned CO and UA have closed a merger deal today, with both carriers becoming wholly owned subsidiaries of United Continental Holdings Inc.
As from today the integration process begins, but the name Continental/ CO flightnumbers/ CO callsign/... will last for some more years to come. In 2012 Continental should be gone completely when they have a single AOC.

And of course the first "new United" aircraft took the skies today, a Boeing 737-900ER.

Article, pictures and video:
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... tures.html

N53442 ready for its first revenue flight as a new-UA aircraft (Houston- Chicago):
http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-A ... a746555abc

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Yes, today marks the end of an era. All the great perks with Continental are quickly going down the tubes. On the upside, the single carrier number of destinations served greatly improves. Hopefully the culture clash wont create major animousity between the labor groups.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TexasGuy wrote:All the great perks with Continental are quickly going down the tubes. On the upside, the single carrier number of destinations served greatly improves.
True, Continental was really a wonderful airline, and I will miss its perks. But the combined number of destinations does not change.
André
ex Sabena #26567