Aussies land crippled A330

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

dna

Aussies land crippled A330

Post by dna »

RC20

Re: Aussies land crippled A330

Post by RC20 »

I don't think I have ever seen less factual information on an incident than this one.

One report was that the engine quit and they kept on for 4 hours as "it was rated for it". Thats insane.

Others are both engine quit, apparently not true.

Origination is listed as a fuel stop, where was it coming form it needed to stop for fuel (and comments they may use Jakarta.

Only thing that seems solid is they landed hot. Really hot. Pilots certainly were not heroes. When your butt is on the line with everyone else, you are not a hero. You do something that risks your life for someone who you don't have to, that is a hero (and various forms of community service that you give up a great deal for I will add)

C-46commando

Post by C-46commando »

Feeling a bit frustrated?

From your post, I don't believe we read the same article.

favourite_belgian

Post by favourite_belgian »

RC20 wrote:I don't think I have ever seen less factual information on an incident than this one.

One report was that the engine quit and they kept on for 4 hours as "it was rated for it". Thats insane.

Others are both engine quit, apparently not true.

Origination is listed as a fuel stop, where was it coming form it needed to stop for fuel (and comments they may use Jakarta.

Only thing that seems solid is they landed hot. Really hot. Pilots certainly were not heroes. When your butt is on the line with everyone else, you are not a hero. You do something that risks your life for someone who you don't have to, that is a hero (and various forms of community service that you give up a great deal for I will add)
I seem to have read a different article too. The article in the SMH doesn't mention anything about "the pilots keeping at it for four hours" or that the plane made "a fuel stop". Where do you get that information from?
You also seem to have a different definition of "factual". The article mentions several facts, e.g. where the plane came from, how many passengers it had on board, that eight of them were injured, the deflated tyres, etc.
Furthermore, by your definition, a pilot can never be a hero because he/she will always be saving him/herself as well.

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Same story or another issue?
Flight global reports: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... oblem.html

DATE:14/04/10
SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news
Cathay A330 in high-energy landing had dual engine problem
By David Kaminski-Morrow

Cathay Pacific has admitted that both engines on the Airbus A330-300 which carried out a high-speed landing at Hong Kong yesterday had experienced problems.
Flight-data analysis shows the right-hand Rolls-Royce Trent 700 powerplant had been at idle thrust during the entire approach while thrust on the left-hand engine had "frozen" at 70% of maximum.
This higher thrust setting on the left-hand engine resulted in a landing at 230kt, with an incorrect flap configuration.
The high-speed landing led six of the aircraft’s tyres to deflate and, after receiving indications of flames from the heated landing-gear, the crew ordered an evacuation of the aircraft via the slides.
Cathay had previous stated that one engine had been shut down during the approach, but that the other was "functioning" – with no indication of any problems.
The airline clarifies today that "at no time" were both engines shut down in flight.
Maintenance support manager Dennis Hui says the aircraft would normally have touched down at 135kt.
Flight CX780 from Surabaya, Indonesia, landed in the correct runway position, he says: "But due to its high speed, it had to brake hard and use reverse thrust from the operating engine."
Cathay Pacific says it is co-operating with the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department, Rolls-Royce and Airbus to establish the reasons for the powerplant problems.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

smokejumper wrote:Same story or another issue?
Same one.