Finnair retires its last MD11

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Finnair retires its last MD11

Post by sn26567 »

New era starts as Finnair retires its last Boeing MD11

After almost 20 years of service with Finnair, the Boeing MD11 fleet enters history on February 22 when the last flight using this aircraft type - flight AY022 from Delhi to Helsinki - takes to the air. After this date, all Finnair long haul flights will be operated using state-of-the-art, fuel-efficient Airbus A340 and A330 aircraft, 'cousins' of the Airbus A320 planes that comprise the European fleet. This will also mean that Finnair flies one of the world's youngest aircraft fleets, with an average age of under six years.

Finnair's fleet renewal programme passes a significant milestone with the withdrawal from service of the last Boeing MD11 aircraft next week. The change represents significant improvements in profitability and environmental sustainability. The new Airbus aircraft serving Finnair's intercontinental routes consume 20 per cent less fuel than their predecessors.

The first of four MD-11 passenger aircraft ordered by Finnair arrived in Helsinki on 7 December 1990 and began flying five times per week to the Canary Islands. The first flight, to Tenerife, was on 20 December 1990. An MD-11 service to New York began on 9 May 1992.

Meanwhile, the sixth new Airbus A330-300 aircraft arrived in Finland last Thursday, departing for its inaugural flight to Bangkok on February 18. This is the second A330 in the fleet to have been fitted with the new lie-flat - 100 per cent flat - seating in Business Class. This aircraft and the next two planes to arrive will have a Business Class cabin containing 32 seats and 265 seats in Economy, a more spacious configuration than the previous five aircraft to have been delivered. The next deliveries will be at the end of March and in November.

Source: Finnair News
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Re: Finnair retires its last MD11

Post by regi »

I remember a Swissair MD-11 flight where the big screen showed that our speed was going over 1000 km/h.

Stij

Post by Stij »

regi wrote:I remember a Swissair MD-11 flight where the big screen showed that our speed was going over 1000 km/h.
Sabena's A342 did that often...across the Atlantic when the jetstream was fast!

My personal record as a passenger: Boston to Brussles in 5:45 (runway to runway of course)! Pretty turbulent flight though...

Cheers,

Stij

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Interesting......

Finnair is retiring its last MD 11 in February. The last MD 11 delivered was in February 2001. End of an era ;)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

regi

Post by regi »

TexasGuy wrote:Interesting......

Finnair is retiring its last MD 11 in February. The last MD 11 delivered was in February 2001. End of an era ;)
and start of a cargo carreer for another 20 years ? :)

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

MD11's are going fast now. Does this make KL the last european major flying them in pax service? Anybody knows when they are getting phased out ?

cnc

Post by cnc »

yes KLM is the last in europe right now and they are going to be phased out by the end of 2012
too bad they'll go out so soon. lovely plane with a great new cabin interior

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

regi wrote:
TexasGuy wrote:Interesting......

and start of a cargo carreer for another 20 years ? :)

Very true! Wont be the end of the bird altogether ;) We see both passenger and cargo service here in Houston from World Airways and FedEx ;)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

LAGPanoramic

Post by LAGPanoramic »

Didn't Finnair take over the Belgian operated City Bird MD11's, or am I wrong? And if it's correct, is it already known what those birds will become?

LAGPanoramic

Post by LAGPanoramic »

cnc wrote:yes KLM is the last in europe right now and they are going to be phased out by the end of 2012
I would so much like to fly in a MD11... Although I'm afraid this won't be for this year anymore, on wich destinations does KLM use them?

Thanks in advance!

regi

Post by regi »

LAGPanoramic wrote:
cnc wrote:yes KLM is the last in europe right now and they are going to be phased out by the end of 2012
I would so much like to fly in a MD11... Although I'm afraid this won't be for this year anymore, on wich destinations does KLM use them?

Thanks in advance!
Never underestimate Biman ! They love Tri jets. OK, they are starting their first B777 flights - with leased airplanes. And they have paid a bit of money for new Boeings. But in the longer term they will have to fork out real big money. And after all the years of mismanagment, it is quite possible that they come to the point that there is no more money - except for some old birds.
Really, I wouldn't be surprised to hear in the near future that Biman starts to operate MD-11.