Brussels Airlines joining Star Alliance in December 2009

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Airbus A330

Re: BRUSSELS AIRLINES to join STAR ALLIANCE in December

Post by Airbus A330 »

I just visited the "Partner airlines" page on the Brussels Airlines website which is not updated. Will it happen on 9 December or before ?

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

as weel as TAM from 1st of January. (as a full member)

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Will we see a new booking engine as from the 9the december that makes it possible to book a connection
flight with a Star Alliance partner? Similar to the Lufthansa booking engine ?

Why has Brussels Airlines a code share with Spanair if you can't book for example ALC - MAD -BRU ?
Even it is not possible to book BRU - MAD or MAD-BRU on the Spanair website.
Best regards,

Airbuske

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Any news about a plane possibly being painted in Star Alliance colors?

I guess we won't see an A330, but maybe an A319 or a 737?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Maybe an A333 also. Some of them (I think 3 of the 4) are still not in full SN colors. If one off these planes will undergo a large D-check or somthing they can paint him in *A colors. Maybe not this year but next year or something.
For december I think it will be an A319 or an B737. I hope for an A319 because some of them are also not in full SN colors yet. :roll:

pjvdv

Post by pjvdv »

I'm afraid they won't paint a plane in *A colours for the moment.
That's what Geert Sciot trusted me...
But they don't give much information for the moment :(

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

That is very stupid. :evil: Every airline (or almost every)that enters Star painted an a/c in the Star colors.

TripleD

Post by TripleD »

MR_Boeing wrote:That is very stupid. :evil: Every airline (or almost every)that enters Star painted an a/c in the Star colors.
Dear Mr_Boeing,

I agree that painting a plane is mostly done and has a great marketing value. But I do have my full respect for the decision of not investing in paint in crisis times, when SN people have to go on economic leave for the last week of December. It would be a wrong signal towards the employees.

Look ahead to the real benefits of the alliance to SN, STAR and our most important home carrier! I am sure that within the budget of SN and partners they will maximize the visibility of the alliance launch.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

You are right about that, but it is an big disappointment that they not going to paint an aircraft in *A colors for the moment.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

TripleD wrote: I agree that painting a plane is mostly done and has a great marketing value. But I do have my full respect for the decision of not investing in paint in crisis times, when SN people have to go on economic leave for the last week of December. It would be a wrong signal towards the employees.

Look ahead to the real benefits of the alliance to SN, STAR and our most important home carrier! I am sure that within the budget of SN and partners they will maximize the visibility of the alliance launch.
Agreed, but it's still pretty lame SN will probably be the first airline not to have one of their planes painted in the Star Alliance colors on the day of their entry... It actually makes them look like the cheap Ugly Betty from the alliance.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

MR_Boeing wrote:Agreed, but it's still pretty lame SN will probably be the first airline not to have one of their planes painted in the Star Alliance colors on the day of their entry... It actually makes them look like the cheap Ugly Betty from the alliance.
I don't think any of the 5 founding members had a plane in alliance colors at launch, nor that either SQ or NH had a plane painted when they joined. I think it's actually much more rare to see an airline do the effort for entry.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

bmi is to codeshare on extra Brussels Airlines operated flights. Following routes are involved:
  • Barcelona
  • Berlin Tegel
  • Bilbao
  • Bologna
  • Geneva
  • Hamburg
  • Lyon
  • Marseille
  • Milan Malpensa
  • Toulouse

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

And quoting bmi e-mail:
We will also be transferring our London Heathrow-Brussels service over to Brussels Airlines from 10 January 2010.
Does this mean SN will fly to LHR again? :D

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

breaking news:

SN is to resume 6 daily LHR flights as from January.

LH has just announced its plans with BD, and it sounds as if BD will be heavily restructured and slimmed down (minus 9 planes), with many routes cut or transfered to other LH group airlines in a similar way as was recently announced by LX for their newly announced LHR-GVA route.

Looks like LH has decided to strip BD down to profitability: definitely not a good sign for them. For SN however it looks very promissing, since it means LH sees a brighter future for the airline it owns for 'just' 45%, than for an airline it owns for the full 100%.

Interesting to note also the fact BD is going to return 2 of its A330s to the lessor by mid 2010... ;-)

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Extra codesharing between TAP and SN as from January 12th, 2010.

TP will codeshare on SN flights from BRU to
  • Gothenburg
  • Manchester
  • Vienna
  • Berlin Tegel
  • Strasbourg
  • Birmingham
SN will codeshare on SN domestic service from LIS to
  • Faro
  • Funchal
  • Porto

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

The airport map on the Star Alliance site is updated for BRU and features now also the SN lounges as Star alliance GOLD :)

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

I noticed that there are no *A SILVER lounges, maybe the BMI lounge can be used as SILVER lounge...

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

HighInTheSky wrote:I noticed that there are no *A SILVER lounges, maybe the BMI lounge can be used as SILVER lounge...
Indeed, *A Silver Lounges don't exist. However, e.g. LH/LX/OS let their own M&M Silvers (FTL) make use of their LH/LX/OS Business Lounges, but these business lounges are not accessible by other *A Silvers (i.e. non M&M) if they are not flying Business. LH/LX/OS SEN & *A Gold can access SEN Lounges. What could be done at the B Pier, is to make the SN Lounge a SEN Lounge for SEN & *A Gold and the BD Lounge a Business Lounge for C pax and M&M FTL's (=Silver)

I noticed on the map that LX still makes use of the B Pier... :roll:

Also, will the SN Sunrise Lounge at the T gates from now on be open all day, or still only during the AFI departures?

b-west

Post by b-west »

For some reason, one, and only one, of the SN check-in desk already carries a Star Alliance sticker on it. (For the ones who want to check it out: it's the first desk of row 5 coming from the ticket desks). The only reason I can think of was maybe there were some promo pictures taken that are to be released when SN officially becomes a member?

shockcooling

Post by shockcooling »

b-west wrote:For some reason, one, and only one, of the SN check-in desk already carries a Star Alliance sticker on it. (For the ones who want to check it out: it's the first desk of row 5 coming from the ticket desks). The only reason I can think of was maybe there were some promo pictures taken that are to be released when SN officially becomes a member?
FYI; There are already some planes flying with sticker for quite some time now.