Jet airways emergency landing enroute Brussels - Delhi

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

VEX802

Jet airways emergency landing enroute Brussels - Delhi

Post by VEX802 »

Yesterday (30/10/2008) a B777-300 of jet airways enroute from brussels to new delhi had an engine failure out of brussels and had to make an emergency landing in budapest hungary.
Unfortunately some of the indian passport holders not having visas are reportedly still stuck at the airport for 20 hours or more, other passport holders have been accomodated in nearby hotels.
A replacement aircraft is been sent to get the stranded passengers back.

earthman

Re: Jet airways emergency landing enroute Brussels - Delhi

Post by earthman »

VEX802 wrote:Yesterday (30/10/2008) a B777-300 of jet airways enroute from brussels to new delhi had an engine failure out of brussels and had to make an emergency landing in budapest hungary.
Unfortunately some of the indian passport holders not having visas are reportedly still stuck at the airport for 20 hours or more, other passport holders have been accomodated in nearby hotels.
A replacement aircraft is been sent to get the stranded passengers back.
Did they have airport-only schengen visas? Or single-use transit visas?

regi

Re: Jet airways emergency landing enroute Brussels - Delhi

Post by regi »

Shengen visa or not, it is a shame that the Indian passengers, many of them well respected businessmen with much more money on their bank account than the average Hungarian, are not allowed transit visas and get a free hotel room.(to be provided by Jet airways )
I don't know who to blame for this dreadful situation. It is quite common that in similar situations, the embassies of the involved passengers step in . But in the end, it is the Hungarian authority that decides about distributing the transit visas.
I do really doubt that the average Jet Airways passenger from Indian backgrounds would want to stay illegaly in Hungary . I know some Indian business men who use Jet Airways regularly and all they want is to get back home .
I would not be surprised that the Indian embassy at Budapest did very little to help its citizens. And if nobody applies some pressure from above, well, the low ranking officers at the airport will not take any initiative.

Embassy of India in Budapest, Hungary
1025 Budapest
Buzavirag u 14
Hungary
Phone: +36 (1) 325-7742
Fax: +36 (1) 325 7745

I do know very well where I talk about. I witnessed some years ago a similar situation with an Asian passenger at Brussels. Some calls to the Asian embassy. The embassy had its contacts with the Belgian ministry and 1 hour later + some faxes, the passenger received a second ( free ! ) visa on top of the tourist visa. It was all depending on good will and common sense. The immigration police was very polite and they informed me in detail about the theoretical procedures and the practical / human solution. No money had to be paid, no personnal guarrantees had to be given. Just the right contacts.