The book: PLANE INSANITY

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
C-117

The book: PLANE INSANITY

Post by C-117 »

The author Elliott Hester recounts "lowlights" from his 16-year career as a flight attendant for major U.S. airlines. He zeroes in on bad trips, in-flight fighting, intolerable co-workers and airline procedures, broken airplanes, bad layovers and sex on airplanes (aka the "Mile High Club"). Addicted to "travel by whim," Hester states, "The ability to fly for next to nothing is the reason I took this job." "I once saw a drunken couple puke on each other until they looked as if they'd emerged from a pool of oatmeal. I watched a smug-faced man receiving high altitude fellatio from a woman he'd just met on the flight," as well as "full-blown airplane brawls, passenger stampedes, a flight attendant in the midst of a nervous breakdown, passengers in various stages of undress, and stressed-out flyers attempting to open the emergency exit six miles above the Atlantic and an onboard robbery in which $500,000 was stolen on a 727."

Is this book a legitimate portrayal of the industry? C-117

OCR_ole_ole

Post by OCR_ole_ole »

well o well... i have the book right in front of me... it describes well in some situations what might happen on board an aircraft... sometimes he writes situations about pax what really happened...

As in all things with humans you can find these things funny and sad... that's human nature...

I, myself, found it pleasant to read, plenty of anecdotes I experienced myself in a similar way...

If all cabin crew would write books about their experiences, the net would be too small... just bear this in mind :) I suggest to pax (read passengers) to work just for a month in an aircraft... even you would have the strangiest things to tell at home :) greetz

:P

Frédéric

Allnipponairways

is it on sale...where

Post by Allnipponairways »

where can i buy this book , is it for sale already a long time...

:D ...

so the i can buy it ...

greets

flying cobra

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Went to 'de boekenbeurs' but I didn't saw it, are his stories in the book true or overdone ?

Post by 777 »

Hallo,

OCR_ole_ole wrote:well o well... i have the book right in front of me... it describes well in some situations what might happen on board an aircraft... sometimes he writes situations about pax what really happened...

As in all things with humans you can find these things funny and sad... that's human nature...

Can't you scan the cover and put it in this forum ?

Andre

Comet

Post by Comet »

Now that sounds like a fascinating book!

I will have a look on the internet to see if I can find it.

Glug a Gulden Draak :drink:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

As requested, here is the cover. Amazon.com allows you to see some of the inner pages as well.

Louise

Post by 777 »

Thanks very much for the Cover, this makes
it easier to look for.

Andre

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Now I think they are overreacting alot about the life of a flight attendant but I consider it to order it ;-)

Comet, you seem to drink a lot of beer behind your computer :)

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

Comet

Post by Comet »

luchtzak wrote: Comet, you seem to drink a lot of beer behind your computer :)

ciao,

Bart
:rock:
I can always dream about beer when I'm at my computer! :lol:

My original beer slogan related to Sloeber, but when I thought about it there is no smilie with golden beer, so I had to change it and use the name of dark beer (and what nicer beer in winter than wonderful, warming Gulden Draak, especially when you've seen the real Gulden Draak in Gent?).

Also, the book is in very low stock on Amazon, the UK site had one left in stock, so it must be popular!!

(Love that little smilie by the way, it's my favourite one!)

Louise

C-117

Post by C-117 »

Just ordered mine on Amazon.com based on your replies.

Interestingly enough, "lowlights" to one might be "highlights"
to another. I guess it depends on whether or or not you're
crew or pax! Or maybe even non-rev... ;)

Allnipponairways

Post by Allnipponairways »

Do you know the cost of the book already and how long it takes to deliver it to the house or can you also buy it in the bookshops in uk or in the airport maybe ...lol..

greets

flying cobra

twan01

Post by twan01 »

I ordered the book via Proxis -I don't know if you are common with this, but you can also order it also via Amazon.com- and received it a few days later. In paperback it cost about 13 $ and an other 10 if you want it in hardback.

In between my wife -purser- and myself finished it, and both found it one of the best books we read the very last months.

Although I don't get one cent for my comments, I just find that this is a book that every airline pilot, FA, and aviation enthausist has to read. Real fun, and soooo close to reality. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be